Tascam CD Player

sonnymax

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the Tascam rack mounting: it's easy to take them off (I did); just two screws on either side. Once off, it looks like a regular deck.

Oh, they're bolted on? That's cool. The only rack mount equipment I've ever had were built in.

In that case I'd lean Tascam because their products are always so high in quality.

I have first hand experience with the Onkyo. My best friend in Austin picked one up, and stuck it in his system that I am very familiar with as I gave him the PeachTree amp he uses and the Decware speakers he uses. It's a nice cd player, for the price. There are many better ones, but not at that price point that I've heard.

I don't have experience with that Tascam model, but I do have experience with am older model that Steve Deckert of Decware modified with a tube outupt stage with volume control and tubed regulation. I never really enjoyed that modified version, it was too revealing, it made great recordings sound amazing in my system, but was not musical enough with less than stellar recordings. From the regular outs (not the Decware modded ones) it sounded. . . unexceptional. I think the Onkyo might have it beat by a bit, but I never compared the two of them in a system, and the Tascam is not the exact same model.

I never really enjoyed that modified version, it was too revealing...

In other words it was super clean and lacking the "warm" distortion you're used to hearing. That's an excellent selling point, IMO.

Wrong. Sorry I bothered to post.

Edited by jazzbo

Please explain how it's wrong? "Too revealing" tells me it lays the music bare without covering up any anamolies. That sounds like exactly what most people are looking for. I prefer clinical accuracy. There is no distortion "warming" up music in a live situation.

And I'm confused as to what you mean by it not being "musical" enough. What makes a CD player "musical"?

Disagreeing is fine, I've got no problem with that. Often those who disagree learn things from each other in the process. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to have some evidence provided to back up some of the mystical claims you make concerning audio. Or at least a simple explanation over terminology that you use.

The very fact that you think that I make 'mystical claims' shows the chasm of our thoughts and life is too short. I know from experience you will just keep trying to belittle my experiences from your 'superior viewpoint' and I don't have the time to waste and be denigrated at the same time. In fact no one can speak freely about audio on this board without you criticizing them with your "objective" truisms that I and a few others don't find true. So I'm staying out of audio discussions on this board. I like you just fine when you and I are not discussing audio.

Who props up their system as "high resolving", and boast of their excellent $4500 Blu-ray player as proof that they can hear things that others don't? Not this boy.

The only thing superior is my ability to smell bullshit and steer clear of it.

But, we've both had far more than our fair share of say, let's get this thread back on topic, shall we?

I never said any such thing, nor did I pay anything like that for that player. And anyway, if you can't hear something, does that mean no one else can? Get over yourself. So long. Sorry for derailing your thread Sonnymax.

Edited by jazzbo

That's not what I asked.

Perhaps I should rephrase - is their any data available to show what happens if the same people take the same blind tests for several hours a day, and then repeatedly take these same tests over a sustained period of time?

All I get put in my face is tests taken over a relativity shot test period. Where are the test results that show/suggest/disprove that a listener can develop greater differential perceptions over time?

I have no idea what you're asking.

ABX is blind and randomized, it has nothing to do with perception. You either hear the difference, or you don't. It's not like the results of each answer is given after you answer.

Unfortunately, it's only useful for those who have bullshitted themselves into hearing things that don't exist, yet they're the ones who refuse to use it as a tool.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Oh, ok.

Still not sure how one makes a choice without perception (i.e. - processing of auditory input) being involved, if you have to choose there has to be the perception involved, even if the question is "can you hear a difference?", even if your answer is "no", it's because you're not perceiving one, not that there actually isn't one, you're just perceiving them to be identical (enough) but unless it's the actual human condition that the first time you hear something, you're going to consciously hear everything that is there, then...how 'bout that, huh, geez, had I only known.

I remember back in the day we'd have conversations about which was better to masturbate to, Playboy or Penthouse. And sometimes some guy would jump up and start advocating for Hustler and it was, like, whooooa, ok, we're changing the subject now, we are not talking about the same kind of masturbation, even if we're both just stroking cock.

I have first hand experience with the Onkyo. My best friend in Austin picked one up, and stuck it in his system that I am very familiar with as I gave him the PeachTree amp he uses and the Decware speakers he uses. It's a nice cd player, for the price. There are many better ones, but not at that price point that I've heard.

I don't have experience with that Tascam model, but I do have experience with am older model that Steve Deckert of Decware modified with a tube outupt stage with volume control and tubed regulation. I never really enjoyed that modified version, it was too revealing, it made great recordings sound amazing in my system, but was not musical enough with less than stellar recordings. From the regular outs (not the Decware modded ones) it sounded. . . unexceptional. I think the Onkyo might have it beat by a bit, but I never compared the two of them in a system, and the Tascam is not the exact same model.

Actually, I believe the Zen ZCD-200 CD player did use the same Tascam CD-200 I'm considering. According to the Decware website, even the newer Zen ZCD-240 "uses the same high-quality TEAC-made CD drive designed for audio as other models in the CD-200 series." I'm assuming that this is an endorsement of the Tascam, at least as far as the transport is concerned.

I remember back in the day we'd have conversations about which was better to masturbate to, Playboy or Penthouse. And sometimes some guy would jump up and start advocating for Hustler and it was, like, whooooa, ok, we're changing the subject now, we are not talking about the same kind of masturbation, even if we're both just stroking cock.

You were debating masturbating? Now that could make you go blind. :g