Travelling to Paris

LWayne

Travelling to Paris next weekend on business. I used to travel pretty extensively, but not so much the past couple of years.

Will be in Paris for pleasure and Orsay France for business.

My wife is also coming along on the trip. Looking for recommendations for record/CD stores (hoping to pick up the John Carter & Bobby Bradford "No U Turn" on Dark Tree Recordings while I am there) and always interested in hearing live jazz at the clubs.

I have been to the New Morning before, but did not see anything of interest during this time period.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Merci.

LWayne

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, we got caught up in the May 1st holiday as well. Visited Paris Jazz Corner the day before. We decided to saty for May 1st because it is our anniversary. Nothing to do in the city. Went to Montmarte and Sacre Couer, but it was terribly crowded.

Enjoyed the evening going to dinner with acquaintances of a friend of ours. However, stay clear of Le Meriden Jazz Club. Paid a 100 EUR cover charge for music that they advertized as "jazz". Truly awful.

LWayne

• 1 year later...

I am set to visit Paris with my wife on June 21-24. My first time back in like 30 years. Not interested in music shopping. I am very much interested in recs for live jazz (and other music) during that time period. It appears Paris Jazz Festival takes place only on weekends so that won't be an option. New Morning lists Maraca Latin Jazz All-Stars (incl Steve Turre). Caveau des Lombards lists a pair of pianists I have no familiarity with: Manuel Rocheman and Thomas Enhco. Any thoughts on these guys? Or general impressions of clubs. Thanks for any tips.

50 minutes ago, Patrick said:

I am set to visit Paris with my wife on June 21-24. My first time back in like 30 years. Not interested in music shopping. I am very much interested in recs for live jazz (and other music) during that time period. It appears Paris Jazz Festival takes place only on weekends so that won't be an option. New Morning lists Maraca Latin Jazz All-Stars (incl Steve Turre). Caveau des Lombards lists a pair of pianists I have no familiarity with: Manuel Rocheman and Thomas Enhco. Any thoughts on these guys? Or general impressions of clubs. Thanks for any tips.

Last time I was in Paris, I stumbled on a place called Caveau de la Huchette.  It's in the basement of a centuries old building in the Latin Quarter - complete with stone and masonry walls and arches - with a main performance area and arched side room.  It's primarily a swing place from what I recall, though the band I heard was a sax and trumpet quintet that played a lot of hard bop.  There's a stage area and in front of it a dance area with perimeter seating.  I sat in a side room with a great view of everything.  There were a lot of people dancing.  I thought it was a pretty cool place to have checked out.  There's lots of pictures on the net.

50 minutes ago, Ed Swinnich said:

Last time I was in Paris, I stumbled on a place called Caveau de la Huchette.  It's in the basement of a centuries old building in the Latin Quarter - complete with stone and masonry walls and arches - with a main performance area and arched side room.  It's primarily a swing place from what I recall, though the band I heard was a sax and trumpet quintet that played a lot of hard bop.  There's a stage area and in front of it a dance area with perimeter seating.  I sat in a side room with a great view of everything.  There were a lot of people dancing.  I thought it was a pretty cool place to have checked out.  There's lots of pictures on the net.

"Centuries old building" and pretty old as a jazz club, too! I saw Ted Curson play there in 1964.

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Indeed.

Picked up this EP from 1956 at one of the fleamarkets I browsed during my recent holidays in Southern France. :lol:

25717443ao.jpg

Oh, that French trad sound! My introduction to jazz was as follows. In 1957 when I was 17 an older school friend (who must have been all of 18!) criticized me for wasting my time listening to rock 'n roll and handed an E.P. to me. It was Sidney Bechet with Claude Luter's band. I still remember some of the French titles: "Le marchand de poissons" and "Les oignons". ^_^