Sinatra - All or Nothing at All - HBO Documentary

Teasing the Korean

Did anyone see this (excellent) HBO two-part documentary? Not a lot of new or earth-shattering information, but lots of things I hadn't seen or heard, like home movies and interviews with Frank and both Nancys.

No spoilers, but I thought the organization of the documentary was inspired: In 1971, Sinatra gave a farewell concert, for which he chose 11 tunes that he felt illustrated his life and career. The documentary organized itself around these 11 tunes and used them to tell Frank's story.

The longer I live, the more awed I am by Sinatra.

I liked it too. I felt it was also very honest. It didn't present him as some kind of saint, and it explored issues that surprised me a little, especially since it was made with the cooperation of the family. And, of course, I loved the music.

That farewell concert doesn't appear to be available anywhere on DVD. Would be nice to have.

gregmo

I just caught up with both parts of the docu a couple of days ago and thought it was very well done. "Not a lot of new or earth-shattering information, but lots of things I hadn't seen or heard" is almost exactly how I described it to a friend who hasn't seen it yet - Gibney did a great job crafting a film that should appeal to both newcomers to Sinatra as well as longtime fans.

There's been speculation as to whether the complete retirement concert will get a CD or DVD release. It would be nice if it were presented as bonus material on the inevitable DVD and Blu-ray releases.

That's OK; the one thing I don't have is time. I like recording things on Tivo and then getting to them whenever, which may be months from now. The other thing I often need is something shoved under my nose, reminding me to watch or listen to it. That's why I prefer the Tivo approach to Netflix or HBO Go or Spotify; I like the access, but am often overwhelmed by choice. Works for other people, doesn't work for me.

Hey, different strokes, saul goode, etc.

What I personally like about HBO Go is getting in there and just randomly browsing for, and then finding some archival shit that I had either forgotten about or never even knew about in the first place. Especially the comedy stuff. There was a half-hour Dave Chapelle thing from before he hit it big that I was totally unaware of, and which I found a very interesting view.

As per your preferences, no, not gonna be for everybody, the HBO Go thing. But people who might like it should be aware that if you have a Roku and a HBO subscription, it's yours for the taking, no additional charges involved. Just add it to your channels and get busy!