Tubby Hayes biography now published!

Simon Spillett's long-awaited new biography of Tubby Hayes "The Long Shadow of the Little Giant; the Life, Work and Legacy of Tubby Hayes" is now published. I'm looking at my copy now and I can confirm that it is truly excellent. Not merely because it's the first biography of Hayes, but also because it offers a true perspective of the birth and rise of modern British jazz from the musicians' perspective. That is, by those who knew and worked with the man and provided invaluable anecdotal detail which is revealed in this book. Published by Equinox Publishing Ltd, it's 377 pages in length, with b+w photos, bibliographical information, a selected discography and is a smart hardback to boot! Very highly recommended.

Edited by RogerF

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never realised that Tubby lived next door to Olympic hurdler David Hemery at one point.

Nice that you got a mention in the credits Roger. Also board member Tooter/Rodney.

Yes it was, but Simon deserves all the credit as it was an absolutely mammoth task. A really invaluable insight into British modern jazz of that period, too infrequently covered IMO.

Never realised that Tubby lived next door to Olympic hurdler David Hemery at one point.

Nice that you got a mention in the credits Roger. Also board member Tooter/Rodney.

Yes it was, but Simon deserves all the credit as it was an absolutely mammoth task. A really invaluable insight into British modern jazz of that period, too infrequently covered IMO. Yeah, from what I have read so far there is a huge amount of work and great attention to detail that has gone into this book. It is also extremely well written and very readable (unlike some I can think of). Can't recommend this book strongly enough !

Edited by sidewinder

Just got my copy too. It looks like a major piece of work and Simon's scholarship is remarkable. Is it too much to hope that the BBC will mark the 80th anniversary of Tubby's birth (and this book) by digging out the 1966 'Jazz Goes To College' big band concert for re-transmission? It's the only tape from that series to survive apart from the Stan Getz concert.

Wasn't aware that that tape had survived. According to the book, that one was filmed at Queen Mary College on the Mile End Road and Tubby never actually got to see it.

Looking at YouTube, both the 1965 Jazz 625 programme and a big band 'Jazz Scene' show from Ronnies taped in 1969 seem to be available for viewing. The picture quality for the 1969 show is not the greatest.

I would love to go into those BBC archives and sort out what is what in their jazz archive once and for all !

Apparently a Tubby documentary narrated by Martin Freeman is in the works for showing this Summer. Maybe BBC4 will broadcast it ?

Edited by sidewinder

Having now read the book, I am filled with the urge to re-read all of Simon's various and equally brilliant CD liner notes !

Quite a few of the things towards the end of the book very accurately capture the situation as I remember it a year or so after Tubby's death (which is when my following of the music started to kick in). The one record I remember seeing in the shops was that '100% Proof' reissue from Philips with the garish cover photo and never saw any of the Fontanas, which were by then long deleted. The tragedy was still too current and mentions of Tubby, even on the radio, were very occasional - it was almost as if no-one wanted to talk about it (same with Harriott). Remember hearing 'Trenton Place' on Jazz Record Requests and wondering why the heck that superb music wasn't readily available or more praised. It was only when Mole put it out again on vinyl around 1981/82 that it became a bit more accessible.

Edited by sidewinder

Having now read the book, I am filled with the urge to re-read all of Simon's various and equally brilliant CD liner notes !

Quite a few of the things towards the end of the book very accurately capture the situation as I remember it a year or so after Tubby's death (which is when my following of the music started to kick in). The one record I remember seeing in the shops was that '100% Proof' reissue from Philips with the garish cover photo and never saw any of the Fontanas, which were by then long deleted. The tragedy was still too current and mentions of Tubby, even on the radio, were very occasional - it was almost as if no-one wanted to talk about it (same with Harriott). Remember hearing 'Trenton Place' on Jazz Record Requests and wondering why the heck that superb music wasn't readily available or more praised. It was only when Mole put it out again on vinyl around 1981/82 that it became a bit more accessible.

that Philips reissue of "100% proof" may have a poor cover but it sounds great. Way better than the domestic CD ( which I've long since ditched)

Wasn't aware that that tape had survived. According to the book, that one was filmed at Queen Mary College on the Mile End Road and Tubby never actually got to see it.

Looking at YouTube, both the 1965 Jazz 625 programme and a big band 'Jazz Scene' show from Ronnies taped in 1969 seem to be available for viewing. The picture quality for the 1969 show is not the greatest.

I would love to go into those BBC archives and sort out what is what in their jazz archive once and for all !

Apparently a Tubby documentary narrated by Martin Freeman is in the works for showing this Summer. Maybe BBC4 will broadcast it ?

This thread gives more information on missing episodes of Jazz Goes To College as well as other BBC jazz programmes (at the bottom of the thread).

http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/2633

that Philips reissue of "100% proof" may have a poor cover but it sounds great. Way better than the domestic CD ( which I've long since ditched)

Is that the CD that purports to be in stereo but is in fact mono?

I remember there was some controversy about the sound of many of his re-issued CDs from Universal. I guess the masters could do with being given some TLC and reissued again. Wonder what are the chances of that happening.....?

I remember there was some controversy about the sound of many of his re-issued CDs from Universal. I guess the masters could do with being given some TLC and reissued again. Wonder what are the chances of that happening.....?

I don't recall if it was mono but it and the reissue of Mexican Green came in for particular criticism. The latter was especially poor having a sound akin to an AM broadcast. Proof as I recall sounded very compressed. I'm pretty tolerant of CDs which other abhor but these two were very poor issues with the added insult of microscopic liner notes. Not anyone's finest hour.

edit : playing the CD of Mexican Green - stereo . I've perhaps been a bit harsh. Bass and treble seem ok. Something odd going on in the mid range - EQ rather than compression?? It's listenable.

Edited by Clunky

100% Proof was release on CD by Universal in mono, because the stereo tapes couldn't be located. But hearing it in its original stereo as on the vinyl versions, is a real ear-opener. The big band blasts out of the speakers. As for Mexican Green, I only had a beaten-up vinyl copy which cost a small fortune to purchase secondhand, so when the CD was released by Universal Japan and latterly the UK arm, I was grateful to hear it in all its glory. I didn't find it sub-standard at all.

As for "The book" I agree, it is totally un-put-downable and yes it's got to be a book of the year.

I look forward to reading this a bit later in the year. Had it down as a possible; been convinced by the enthusiasm here.

Used copies available later? ^_^

considering the price of some jazz bios, I think the £18 asking price is pretty much a bargain given the work and skill that has clearly gone into it.

I look forward to reading this a bit later in the year. Had it down as a possible; been convinced by the enthusiasm here.

Used copies available later? ^_^

considering the price of some jazz bios, I think the £18 asking price is pretty much a bargain given the work and skill that has clearly gone into it.

Agreed, but as I've read a dozen jazz biogs in as many months and the libraries are of little help, the costs soon mount up! :o

The price on Amazon dropped a couple of pounds just after it came out ( ;) ) but even at £20 it is a really good deal. A very substantial and excellent quality book and I have seen PhDs which weren't researched as well as this one. Bargain !

Edited by sidewinder

The price on Amazon dropped a couple of pounds just after it came out ( ;) ) but even at £20 it is a really good deal. A very substantial and excellent quality book and I have seen PhDs which weren't researched as well as this one. Bargain !

Yes, the price is going the right way. We're now getting £14.88 + £2.80 delivery from an Amazon trader. At this rate I may actually buy! :w