Tubby Hayes biography now published!

I posted this in the Hum Dono thread but really it should go here:

Tubbs news update! A very authoritative source has just revealed that Universal Music Group has now unearthed full master tapes for all of Tubby's Fontana records. Also found is the "lost" quartet session with Louis Stewart from 1969, alongside some tapes that have yet to be identified. Apparently some of this material was stored in Germany and has only latterly been brought back to the UK, hence the "lost" rumours. Additionally, some Tempo master tapes too, notably for Tubby's Groove have been located too. All the previously issued Japanese and Universal UK CDs of Tubby were dubbed from vinyl. In some cases (Return Visit and 100% Proof) from knackered vinyl!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazon.ca - today's price in Canadian dollars $34.28 + 6.49 shipping from Great Britain . Still a bit pricey but a definite buy at some point. Will keep my eye on it.

This is getting like the stock exchange reports! I think any price for this book is worth it and I'm not even getting paid to say that! :D

Amazon.ca - today's price in Canadian dollars $34.28 + 6.49 shipping from Great Britain . Still a bit pricey but a definite buy at some point. Will keep my eye on it.

Seriously, I believe this book is worth double the asking price - it was researched for over 10 years and it shows. Fascinating facts on every page.

Edited by RogerF

I posted this in the Hum Dono thread but really it should go here:

Tubbs news update! A very authoritative source has just revealed that Universal Music Group has now unearthed full master tapes for all of Tubby's Fontana records. Also found is the "lost" quartet session with Louis Stewart from 1969, alongside some tapes that have yet to be identified. Apparently some of this material was stored in Germany and has only latterly been brought back to the UK, hence the "lost" rumours. Additionally, some Tempo master tapes too, notably for Tubby's Groove have been located too. All the previously issued Japanese and Universal UK CDs of Tubby were dubbed from vinyl. In some cases (Return Visit and 100% Proof) from knackered vinyl!

Thanks for the news, Roger. Sounds great and let's hope the new masters see the light of day. There probably won't be a better opportunity than Tubby's anniversary year plus the publicity from the book and Martin Freeman's film.

The price on Amazon dropped a couple of pounds just after it came out ( ;) ) but even at £20 it is a really good deal. A very substantial and excellent quality book and I have seen PhDs which weren't researched as well as this one. Bargain !

Yes, the price is going the right way. We're now getting £14.88 + £2.80 delivery from an Amazon trader. At this rate I may actually buy! :w

Cheapskate ! :g:lol:

Edited by sidewinder

The price on Amazon dropped a couple of pounds just after it came out ( ;) ) but even at £20 it is a really good deal. A very substantial and excellent quality book and I have seen PhDs which weren't researched as well as this one. Bargain !

Yes, the price is going the right way. We're now getting £14.88 + £2.80 delivery from an Amazon trader. At this rate I may actually buy! :w

Pensioner :(

Sorry, I hear you...

Pensioner :(

Sorry, I hear you - should be some OK deals on this one coming up over the next while, hopefully.

Wish there were some more of those £2.99 Vic Ash biographies around as every copy seems to be around £90 now :(

Edited by sidewinder

Wish there were some more of those £2.99 Vic Ash biographies around as every copy seems to be around £90 now :(

Maybe somebody snapped up those 2.99 copies and is trying to make a fast buck (sorry - fast quid :lol: ) now? ;)

At 2.99 I would have picked up a copy too ...

Was this "I Blew It My Way", and were they around at that price at chains like "Books Etc." ?

Maybe somebody snapped up those 2.99 copies and is trying to make a fast buck (sorry - fast quid :lol: ) now? ;)

At 2.99 I would have picked up a copy too ...

Was this "I Blew It My Way", and were they around at that price at chains like "Books Etc." ?

At risk of being called "cheapskate", I confess to getting it used on Amazon in 2013 for £0.01. :smirk:

• 2 weeks later...

£11.46 "used - like new" and I've finally taken the plunge! :excited:

I've just finished reading this today and I must say that I'm mighty impressed with both Simon's writing style and the amount of research he must have carried out on what is obviously a labour of love. Easily the best biography I've read about a jazz musician since.... I can't remember when. Heartily recommended.... even at full price!

The book is a remarkable work, ten years in the making and it was worth every minute in my opinion. Simon told me that the publishers were apparently interested in another work, a book of essays which would be based on some of his sleeve notes, nothing set in stone but let's all hope, Simon is a very good writer with a clear and readable style and a depth of knowledge of his subject that puts many authors to shame.

As regards the Vic Ash book, I saw a concert at our local jazz club about four years ago which featured Vic, Simon and Tommy Whittle as a front line (!!!) and amongst the merchandise available was the book. I bought a copy and got Vic to sign it for me, I didn't get a chance to ask Simon to sign it as well. I suppose that's life!

The book is a remarkable work, ten years in the making and it was worth every minute in my opinion. Simon told me that the publishers were apparently interested in another work, a book of essays which would be based on some of his sleeve notes, nothing set in stone but let's all hope, Simon is a very good writer with a clear and readable style and a depth of knowledge of his subject that puts many authors to shame.

As regards the Vic Ash book, I saw a concert at our local jazz club about four years ago which featured Vic, Simon and Tommy Whittle as a front line (!!!) and amongst the merchandise available was the book. I bought a copy and got Vic to sign it for me, I didn't get a chance to ask Simon to sign it as well. I suppose that's life!

:tup

£11.46 "used - like new" and I've finally taken the plunge! :excited:

Alleluyah ! Nice one !

I would say that this book and the Joe Harriott bio are in a class of their own (along with Ian Carr's 'Music Outside') as far as books about British Modern Jazz are concerned.

Yes, the price is going the right way. We're now getting £14.88 + £2.80 delivery from an Amazon trader. At this rate I may actually buy! :w £11.46 "used - like new" and I've finally taken the plunge! :excited:

Alleluyah ! Nice one !

I would say that this book and the Joe Harriott bio are in a class of their own (along with Ian Carr's 'Music Outside') as far as books about British Modern Jazz are concerned.

And give Peter King's Flying High: A Jazz Life and Beyond a try.

I thought this was very good:

515OwLrnhpL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Came out around the same time as the Harriott bio.

I've always found Simon Spillett's liner notes to be very good - unpretentious and informative.

I'm assuming he doesn't inform us on Tubby Hayes' part in the development of late-capitalism in the bio!!!!!!! (a snide aside at another book on British jazz from a few years back, for those who have not read it!)

Am keeping my fingers crossed my copy will arrive in time .. Received my shipping notice from Amazon today.

And while everybody seems to be into plugging books on British jazz right now, well, I would still like to give a thumbs up for the one below.

It is not a biography but rather a ("special-interest") documentary but particularly in view of the fact that it is SELF-PUBLISHED I find the book rather amazing.

http://www.pennilesspress.co.uk/NRB/keeper_of_the_flame.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keeper-Flame-Bill-Birch/dp/0956667007

Am keeping my fingers crossed my copy will arrive in time .. Received my shipping notice from Amazon today.

And while everybody seems to be into plugging books on British jazz right now, well, I would still like to give a thumbs up for the one below.

It is not a biography but rather a ("special-interest") documentary but particularly in view of the fact that it is SELF-PUBLISHED I find the book rather amazing.

Yes, very good. My only grumble is about its very amateurish crummy visual design. It may be about music that's sweet to the ears, but it's an eyesore to look at. <_<

Edited by BillF

Yes, very good. My only grumble is about its very amateurish crummy visual design. It may be about music that's sweet to the ears, but it's an eyesore to look at. <_<

I agree that the layout could have been more inspiring (although I certainly would not call it an "eyesore"). And a couple of photographs from the late 50s and 60s are evidently dated incorrectly (the pics clearly are of more recent origin).

But on the other hand, how many faults have we seen in professionally edited and published books, and then there were/are those books (not all that rare) on subjects of great interest to us where the layout admittedly is much more exciting and accentuated but the illustrations, repros of ephemera, etc. are that shoddily thrown together that you really regret what a waste of time and printing space all this was because there would have been so much better and varied material available?