advice on turntable for 78's

romualdo

Thinking of upgrading my turntable & am interested in having 78rpm capability

my choices are

1. Sole 78 turntable eg Rega Planar 78 -> costs about $700 in Australia

or

2. Multipurpose (45, 33 & 78) table -> been looking at the Thorens TD 240 mk2 (need to change the cartridge/needle when playing 78's)

I don't really have space for 2 turntables so option #2 is my preference

Any advice would be appreciated esp re other multipurpose turntables

Duals have been mentioned but these don't appear to be available in Australia at present (have had 2 in the past)

• 4 weeks later...

It is better to search for universal player with direct drive that have enough power for easy playing of heavy 78's.

Technics 1210 MK4 was really fine turntable for that purpose.

Avoid Chinese clones od 1210!

Use tonearm on that you can change shells with various cartridges and needle tips (pre-mounted).

Nowadays Thonrens turntables are not coming from well-known Swiss company, but they are OEM types Czech made (it is the same production line for Pro-ject brand), only old Thorens name added.

Edited by mmilovan

Speaking of the devil, mmilovdan, you've answered my question!

Yesterday I went through a new oldies.com catalogue, and they mentioned that they now carry four Thorens tables. I hadn't heard of Thorens for decades. Many years ago I had friends who raved about them, so I was going to post today, asking if they are still considered good.

So when you say "it is the same production line for Pro-ject brand," I assume that means that it is the same thing with a different label, right?

The four tables oldies.com carries are...

TD 240-2...$1,099

TD 190-2...$799

TD 170-1...$699

TD 158...$499

I'd still recommend my Lenco GL75. Idle drive, continuously variable 16-82rpm, 50 yr old Swiss design. I bought mine and added a Linn arm for total of £200 in 2009. Interchangeable stylii possible with a number of MM carts from Ortofon. Nagaoka etc

thanks for the advice - been doing some searches for the two recommended models (Lenco GL75 or Technics 1210 MKIV) - both are very appealing but trying to track down either in Australia may be a bit of a problem - both a far & few between here

I'll keep searching for the time being