Jerome Richardson

Chrome

13 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Good news for Jerome Richardson fans.

In a recent interview for an Spanish online magazine, Jordi Pujol confirmed that Fresh Sound will be issuing the Jerome Richardson recording session with the Tete Montoliu Trio from 1988 (Reggie Johnson on bass, Alvin Queen on drums). So far only one track ('A Child Is Born') had been issued as part of a Tete Montoliu compilation covering a good part of his artistic life span (FSR 6001 — Momentos Inolvidables De Una Vida. 1965-1992. Grabaciones Realizadas En Barcelona).

I asked Jordi about this session more than 15 years ago, so... finally!!!

Congrats!

13 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

In a recent interview for an Spanish online magazine, Jordi Pujol confirmed that Fresh Sound will be issuing the Jerome Richardson recording session with the Tete Montoliu Trio from 1988 (Reggie Johnson on bass, Alvin Queen on drums). So far only one track ('A Child Is Born') had been issued as part of a Tete Montoliu compilation covering a good part of his artistic life span (FSR 6001 — Momentos Inolvidables De Una Vida. 1965-1992. Grabaciones Realizadas En Barcelona).

Good news indeed ....

20 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

when I saw the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis band in the late '60s Richardson and Jerry Dodgion use to come up front and exchange solos. It was very exciting and dynamic.

Dodgion has always been kind of a mystery to me. I did a Union Trust Fund big band gig with him in the city, and he sight read the book perfectly, but when he had a solo, he either gave it to the other alto player, or played a kind of weak, blues scale solo. I saw a documentary with him (I think as subject?), and he admitted he wasn't a strong jazz soloist, and he considered himself a blues player(?) when it came to improvising.

That said, he's a legendary lead alto player/technician, who played the schlitz out of those incredible Thad sax solis that leave me in awe every time we play a Thad chart. Phil Woods was upset that he didn't get the call for lead alto on the Thad and Mel Band, but I think Thad wanted someone who could double on flute, and Woods never touched the flute.In the Mosaic Thad and Mel set, there are a few cuts with Woods on alto that I'm dying to hear.

As a leader or co- leader, Dodgion only made two records before 2004, two tracks in 1955 for Fantasy Records with Sonny Clark on piano and an album in 1958 for World Pacific together with Charlie Mariano. Dodgion's first true release as a bandleader arrived in 2004 with an ensemble called The Joy of Sax, featuring saxophonists Frank Wess, Brad Leali, Dan Block and Jay Brandford, pianist Mike LeDonne, bassist Dennis Irwin and percussionist Joe Farnsworth.

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

Dodgion has always been kind of a mystery to me. I did a Union Trust Fund big band gig with him in the city, and he sight read the book perfectly, but when he had a solo, he either gave it to the other alto player, or played a kind of weak, blues scale solo. I saw a documentary with him (I think as subject?), and he admitted he wasn't a strong jazz soloist, and he considered himself a blues player(?) when it came to improvising.

That said, he's a legendary lead alto player/technician, who played the schlitz out of those incredible Thad sax solis that leave me in awe every time we play a Thad chart. Phil Woods was upset that he didn't get the call for lead alto on the Thad and Mel Band, but I think Thad wanted someone who could double on flute, and Woods never touched the flute.In the Mosaic Thad and Mel set, there are a few cuts with Woods on alto that I'm dying to hear.

As a leader or co- leader, Dodgion only made two records before 2004, two tracks in 1955 for Fantasy Records with Sonny Clark on piano and an album in 1958 for World Pacific together with Charlie Mariano. Dodgion's first true release as a bandleader arrived in 2004 with an ensemble called The Joy of Sax, featuring saxophonists Frank Wess, Brad Leali, Dan Block and Jay Brandford, pianist Mike LeDonne, bassist Dennis Irwin and percussionist Joe Farnsworth.

Dodgion is nicely showcased IIRC as the only horn on "Marian McPartland Plays the Music of Billy Strayhorn" (Concord, 1987), with Steve LaSpina and Joey Baron. 

19 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Listened again. In truth, Dodgion for the most part only decorates the themes lightly, albeit tastefully. His tone on "Isfahan" is lovely though.

Yeah, that documentary surprised me. Jerry was very humble when it came to his improvisational gifts. His sight reading/technical abilities are so respected, Wynton had to call Jerry in to play lead alto for one big concert at a JALC concert, because his 'young lion' couldn't cut the part.

That's why Phil Woods was such a freak. He was astonishing in his ability to both sight read anything, and equally astonishing in his improvisational ability. It was ironic that Phil happened to be staying at Jerry's house when Jerry got the call for the Live at Jimmy's gig. Jerry had another gig, so he said, "Phil Woods is here. Do you want to use him for the gig?"

Legrand agreed, and that gig literally saved Phil's career! I posted previously about Woods performance of "You Must Remember Spring" with Legrand at Carnegie Hall. It was unlike anything I've ever experienced before. It was like my two friends (an alto sax player and a trumpet player) and I were pulled by some gravitational force out of our chairs and started banging our hands together like a bunch of stumble bums! We just couldn't believe the emotional power that Phil had exerted over the entire concert hall. We couldn't even articulate it. We didn't say a word to each other. We just looked at each other in disbelief. I've been to a million concerts/clubs, and had the experience of yelling out, "Yeah!", and then saying to a friend, "What a great solo!", but this was something different; beyond words.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/1/2021 at 8:31 AM, EKE BBB said:

It’s out (to lunch) 😊

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/jerome-richardson-albums/53685-groovin-high-in-barcelona.html

Personnel: 
Jerome Richardson (as, ss), Tete Montoliu (p), Reggie Johnson (b), Alvin Queen (d)

Reference: FSRCD 5065

Bar code: 8427328650656

• In May 1988, Jerome Richardson (1920-2000) was touring Spain accompanied by the Tete Montoliu Trio. On their way through Barcelona, the quartet played in the old “Cova del Drac” club. Richardson’s alto and soprano sax performances with Tete’s trio sparked not only the enthusiasm of fans across the city, but also the interest of Fresh Sound Records. All four musicians happily agreed to set a recording session that took place on May 22 at the now-defunct studio Estudi Gema.

Richardson was a talented jazz improviser of the bop tradition, his passion for blowing was tempered only by the stringent discipline that emanated from his well-schooled musical mind. He was a sensitive balladeer as well as a virile swinger. His versatile yet consistent jazz style on alto was the result of different influences, from the clean tonality of the best altoists of the swing era, Willie Smith, Johnny Hodges and Benny Carter, through to the phrasing of Charlie Parker or even the fiery hard bop style of Cannonball Adderley and Phil Woods. Yet in the end, it all turns out to be individualistically Jerome Richardson.

His old friend pianist Tete Montoliu contributed his share of rewarding, sensitive, comping and rippling solos, and they complemented each other well, as Tete was always firm enough to keep up with Jerome, but also subtle and smooth enough to counteract him.

A stirring set full of truly high moments of very good solo work and a rhythm section with bassist Reggie Johnson and drummer Alvin Queen that, in addition to its flawless timekeeping, is pure energy and fire.
______________________________________________________________________________________

"I would like to thank Jordi Suñol and Jordi Pujol for making this project finally come to life after 32 years of having been recorded. It was definitely a most special event for me after having played at the “Cova del Drac” in Barcelona with the Tete Montoliu Trio with our special guest, Jerome Richardson.

Back then, the decision was made to record the group and I am witness to this release following the loss of all three mentors. My hope is that you will join us to keep this music alive, as well as making this CD successful."

—Alvin L. Queen

TRACKLIST

01. A Child is Born (Thad Jones) 8:32
02. Manha de Carnaval (Luiz Bonfá) 7:40
03. Groovin' High (Dizzy Gillespie) 6:40
04. Where is Love? (Lionel Bart) 7:37
05. When Lights Are low (Carter-Williams) 7:13
06. Warm Valley (Duke Elington) 8:38
07. Hi-Fly (Randy Weston) 8:47
08. I Thought About You (Van Heusen-Mercer) 10:40
09. A Night in Tunisia (Dizzy Gillespie) 6:30
10. J & T Blues (Richardson-Montoliu) 6:55

ALBUM DETAILS

Personnel:
Jerome Richardson (alto sax, soprano sax on #1), Tete Montoliu (piano), Reggie Johnson (bass), Alvin Queen (drums).
Recorded at Estudi Gema, Barcelona, May 22, 1988

Recorded and Mixed by Paco Benages
Mastered by Pieter De Wagter
Color photos by Jordi Suñol
Graphic design: Rafael Ros
Liner notes: Jordi Pujol

Produced by Jordi Suñol and Jordi Pujol
Executive Producer: Jordi Pujol

Stereo · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.