Montreal Jazz festival 2015

You are used to read me whine and bitch about what they offer us, well suprise not this year, Of they are still WTF acts that are part of the thing like Huey Lewis and the News or Steve Miller Band but overall for overall music fans and jazz there is plenty to dig.

Here are few of the highlites and picks (Not always jazz) for each day of the festival and

June the 26th

Avishai Cohen duo with Renee Rosnes

A Filetta with Paolo Fresu and Daniele Di Bonaventura

Rabih Abou-Khalil

Theo Croker

Omer Avital Quintet featuring Johnathan Blake (drums), Joel Frahm (sax), Eli Degibri (sax), Yonathan Avishai (piano)

June the 27th

Avishai Cohen trio

Taj Mahal, John Mayall, James Cotton

Enrico Rava Quintet, Tribe

My Brightest Diamond

Phronesis

June the 28th

Christian Scott Quintet

Avishai Cohen trio with guest Kurt Rosenwinkel

The Bad Plus with Joshua Redman

Robert Glasper trio

Johnny O’Neal

June the 29th

Kurt Rosenwinkel New Quartet with Aaron Parks, Eric Revis and Allan Mednard

Erykah Badu

Ron Miles, Brian Blade & Bill Frisell,

GoGo Penguin

Jaga Jazzist

Heads of State with Buster Williams, Gary Bartz, Al Foster and Larry Willis

June the 30th

Marianne Trudel 4 and Ingrid Jensen

Wayne Shorter Quartet

Harold Mabern / Jeremy Pelt / Brandi Disterheft / Joe Farnsworth

Dave Douglas, High Risk with Shigeto, Jonathan Maron and Mark Guiliana

King Sunny Ade

July the 1st

Richard Galliano, duo avec Sylvain Luc. Hommage à Édith Piaf

Thomas Carbou trio with David Binney

Sophie Hunger

John Scofield, Joe Lovano quartet with Bill Stewart and Larry Grenadier

Vijay Iyer trio

Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens | Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires

Gilad Hekselman Quartet feat. Mark Turner

July the 2nd

Abdullah Ibrahim solo

Madeleine Peyroux

Natalie Prass

Russell Malone Quartet

Somi, The Lagos Music Salon

It maybe the weakest night of the festival

July the 3rd

Abdullah Ibrahim Mukashi trio

Triple bill with Lucinda Williams, the Mavericks and Justin Townes Earle Solo

André Leroux

Eliane Elias, Made in Brazil with Marc Johnson, Rubens De La Corte and Rafael Barata

Marc Cary trio

Dee Dee Bridgewater with Irvin Mayfield and the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra

July the 4th

Abdullah Ibrahim et Ekaya

Patricia Barber

Ron Carter Quartet with Renee Rosnes, Payton Crossley, Rolando Morales

Ala.Ni

John Medeski solo

July the 5th, last day and about of the number of usual paying gigs

Uri Caine solo

Hindi Zahra

Outside (free) programmation has not been announced yet, so anybody wants to come ?

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/default-en.aspx

Edited by Van Basten II

• 2 months later...

Abou-Khalil and his quartet was a whole lot of fun. He was also very funny in his comments between pieces. After a long and warm applause for a song , he asked the audience do you want that we play it again. Saw the project NettWork , I'll safely stick to say that it was not my cup of tea.

Very enjoyable evening yesterday , saw an good trio led by South-African leader  Kyle Shepherd , , those who dig  powers trio à la Bad Plus and Cowley should check them out , very modern sound .

Enjoyed Enrico's Rava's quintet , the Italian may have reduced the lenght of his show after an hour it was already encore time but with groups like his, it still is high quality high level music, whether it's his own compositions or reworks a well known piece they all are done with flair and substance.  Not exactly sure  what makes Phronesis to be so popular,and getting adoring crowds, there really was a difference in the behaviour of fans  between the usual  jazz crowd and this one,as it had a a bit of electricity in the air throughout the set. At some point the leader asked the audience to follow them for all the gigs they'll do next.. There is no denying though that they are a very fine outfit , solid aerial songs played .without rarely falling into the trap of overplaying it.  They remind me a bit of Jean-Philippe Viret trio so why do they get the hype and not Viret ? Not really sure. That said they are worth the price of admission.

Best moment of the evening though belongs to a first part , as I mentionned Rava does not play long sets so he asked two members of his group to soldier on and deliver a duet , pianist Giovanni Guidi and trombonist Petrella delivered an exquisite set of luxurious compositions played with warmth and rafinement . Rava talks about Italian miracle  when he comments about the brand of Italian jazz , I think we witnessed one yesterday with these two playing their project called Soupstar.My spies tell me there is a recording in the makings. .

Tonight with the cancellation of Avishai Cohen, only got one gig  remaining as Robert Glasper comes back in Montreal. Other worthy shows are in a similar schedule slot which prevents me from attending them.

Edited by Van Basten II
Usual typos

According to a few spies Redman with Bad plus was very very good. Saw Robert Glasper, the young man is very talented but I still get the feeling I have yet to see the best of him, mostly doing pieces of his latest CD which is a cover album. Attending a Glasper concert can be an exercice. in  frustration ,when he's  his MC schtick between songs and can't help but feel he does not integrate completely his talented sidemen into the arrangement of his music gives me a strange sensation of half satisfaction. That said when he is on he is a  mesmerizing musician. Just wished he found a live project where he'd be totally immersed in it

Erikah Badu  highlited my day delivering a kick ass performance turning the cold and stuffy Wilfrid Pelletier room  into a dancehall, Amazing charismatic soul singer who showed her chops big time in front of adoring fans, when before the encore, the person in charge of the festival gave her an award for her career , you thought she scored three goals in a Stanley Cup final game for the Habs as people chanted her name.

Heads of  state with Bartz and Co  was a nice outdated  night cap, to be fair it was a rather radical transition from Badu to them.

Vijay Iyer trio massive, probably one of the best trio concert I ever witnessed .

Saw Dave Douglas with his project High risk, Douglas was in a fine form but not enterely convinced by the project itself, besides the drummer the other fellows didn't bring that much to the table, and it got a bit redundant fast.

Edited by Van Basten II

Abdullah Ibrahim solo kinda ruined by the photographs who took so many shots that you heard their gear over the quiet playing of Ibrahim, if it had lasted for about minutes, we could have lived with it but they did it for at least 20 minutes.:bwallace:

Edited by Van Basten II

Festival ended yesterday, Abdullah Ibrahim with Ekaya was heart warming music at its finest. Uri Caine and John Medeski offered very fine solo sets . Caine showing his proficiency redoing classics in a crowd pleasing fashion while the lesx gifted Medeski worked his around doing a fine jone job of deconstructing music .

Among the discoveruies count two thumbs up from yours truly for Pop-world Hindi Zahra .

Overall it was a great festival on paper and it delivered, main bummer was the Cohen  cancellation .