Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series Vol. 4

BFrank

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine shipped yesterday from amazon.com but I probably won't get to hear it til sometime next week as my system is sort of in flux as I move from Westlake to Chardon. Been moving myself (by myself) for a week and I'm pooped!

Hope your move goes well.

Mine shipped yesterday from amazon.com but I probably won't get to hear it til sometime next week as my system is sort of in flux as I move from Westlake to Chardon. Been moving myself (by myself) for a week and I'm pooped!

Hope your move goes well.

Thanks. By this evening all that will be left is the cleaning up. (Possibly the worst part, though I did do most of the kitchen this afternoon, which is a load off my mind.)

Good luck, Lon.

I am curious as to how the second disc is -- music- and sound-wise.  I already have most of what is on Disc 1, and don't think I want Discs. 3-4.

It's sounds wonderful Bol.  If you avoid the 3rd and 4th discs, you'll be missing out, the Dietikon gig is wonderful!

Good luck, Lon.

I am curious as to how the second disc is -- music- and sound-wise.  I already have most of what is on Disc 1, and don't think I want Discs. 3-4.

It's sounds wonderful Bol.  If you avoid the 3rd and 4th discs, you'll be missing out, the Dietikon gig is wonderful!

Thank you.  Will keep this in mind.

Ordered mine today.  Also ordered Vol. 3 (Fillmore 1970) and the 40th Anniversary 3CD+DVD of Bitches Brew (have the 2CD+DVD set, but wanted the Tanglewood material).  I had never gotten around to those other two.   Prices were OK, the bunch was about $75 including the shipping, for 11 CD's and a DVD.  Can't complain.  The big hole in my Miles collection is the On The Corner box, but I expect to go to the grave without that one, which is OK.

Good luck, Lon.

Thank you.  Will keep this in mind.

Tony is scorching, the source of the 2nd Quintet gigs are "from the collection of the producers" according to the booklet.  What Vince and Erin told me in our interview was that they, Michael Cuscuna and Steve Berkowitz listen to a bunch of sources and select the best sounding one if a master (like the Dietikon gig-- supplied directly from the Swiss Radio archives) is not available.  The only part of the set that sounds less than stellar is "Mtume", but what I've read here, the tape of that show is a very rough recording.  The Berlin gig is out of sequence chronologically so that the Dietikon show fits on one disc (disc 4)

I didn't have mine yet, but I listened to some stuff on Spotify.

Well, I was mostly curious about the electric playing. Whereas the CD4 sound brilliant and is something fresh for me (from many 1971 shows I haven't heard this one), the CD3 is total disappointment - besides the previously released 1969 show, the Berlin show sounds too harsh. And i believe "Mtume" (which is a percussion interlude and doesn't fit to the rest at all) from 1975 was inserted only to have this 1955-1975 on the cover, instead of 1953-1973.

I hope the memorabilia, photos and liner notes inside would be satisfying!

Ordered mine today.  Also ordered Vol. 3 (Fillmore 1970) and the 40th Anniversary 3CD+DVD of Bitches Brew (have the 2CD+DVD set, but wanted the Tanglewood material).  I had never gotten around to those other two.   Prices were OK, the bunch was about $75 including the shipping, for 11 CD's and a DVD.  Can't complain.  The big hole in my Miles collection is the On The Corner box, but I expect to go to the grave without that one, which is OK.

One possible way of getting that one is to buy a Miles 'Trumpet Case' box from Popsike when a good deal comes up on it, trade the rest of it and keep the 'On The Corner' box !

One possible way of getting that one is to buy a Miles 'Trumpet Case' box from Popsike when a good deal comes up on it, trade the rest of it and keep the 'On The Corner' box !

That's actually a brilliant idea.  The Trumpet Case set can be gotten for $425 on ebay right now, where the Corener box is going for $220 on Amazon.  But I'll wait and hope for a relatively low price reissue at some point.  

That's actually a brilliant idea.  The Trumpet Case set can be gotten for $425 on ebay right now, where the Corener box is going for $220 on Amazon.  But I'll wait and hope for a relatively low price reissue at some point.  

That trumpet case is $450 on PopMarket right now, but I think I've seen it there for less. (I want to say around $300, but can't confirm that)

'Complete on the Corner' is available very cheaply as a download (less than £20 in the UK). It can also be listened to in full on Spotify (in the UK at least). 

If you want to hear it (as opposed to own a physical product) those options are there until a sensible reissue comes along. I have no problem with the sound on the download (health warning -  I'm a dedicated downloader/streamer so don't have issues over sound quality!)

I never cared much for 'On the Corner' - heard it very late in the day (though I did know and very much like some of the material from those sessions that came out on other compilations). But set in the context of this set it is a wonderful experience. Anyone with a taste for 70 Miles will get a lot from the collection. 

'Complete on the Corner' is available very cheaply as a download (less than £20 in the UK). It can also be listened to in full on Spotify (in the UK at least). 

If you want to hear it (as opposed to own a physical product) those options are there until a sensible reissue comes along. I have no problem with the sound on the download (health warning -  I'm a dedicated downloader/streamer so don't have issues over sound quality!)

I never cared much for 'On the Corner' - heard it very late in the day (though I did know and very much like some of the material from those sessions that came out on other compilations). But set in the context of this set it is a wonderful experience. Anyone with a taste for 70 Miles will get a lot from the collection. 

I own 'On The Corner', 'Get Up With It', and 'Big Fun', so have a decent amount of it.  How is the rest of it?  I've never paid for a download in my life, though I'll have to start sometime.  I like 'Get Up With It' quite a bit, have never quite been able to embrace 'On The Corner'.  'Big Fun' is a mixed bag to me.  What is the rest of the set like musically?

Edited by felser

I'm not qualified to judge it musically. But if you take my starting point as someone whose greatest love in Miles lies in the 1955-68-ish bands, then this is a set of sessions I really enjoy despite being far from those approaches. 

You can't listen to it as a 'complete work' and there are inevitable repetitions (though not nearly as much as on the Jack Johnson box). But I go back to it more than the live boxes from that era.

And, personally, I think 'He Loved Him Madly' is as as good as anything Miles ever recorded. 

Taste some of it on Spotify or the equivalent - you'll then know if you want to commit to something more permanent. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending