Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series Vol. 4

BFrank

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

81l_Idby_U8_JL_SL1500.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMputw3udB4
The track listing for Miles Davis at Newport 1955-1975: The Bootleg Series Vol. 4 is below. All tracks previously unreleased, except where otherwise indicated.
CD 1: (July 17, 1955: Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI)
Selections: 1. Spoken Introductions by Duke Ellington and Gerry Mulligan * 2. Hackensack * 3. 'Round Midnight (previously released) * 4. Now's The Time *
(All-Star Jam Session: Miles Davis, trumpet; Zoot Sims, tenor saxophone; Gerry Mulligan, baritone saxophone; Thelonious Monk, piano; Percy Heath, bass; Connie Kay, drums.)
(July 3, 1958: Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI)
Selections: 5. Spoken Introduction by Willis Conover (previously released) * 6. Ah-Leu-Cha (previously released) * 7. Straight, No Chaser (previously released) * 8. Fran-Dance (previously released) * 9. Two Bass Hit (previously released) * 10. Bye Bye Blackbird (previously released) * 11. The Theme (previously released) .
(Miles Davis, trumpet; Cannonball Adderley, alto saxophone; John Coltrane, tenor saxophone; Bill Evans, piano; Paul Chambers, bass; Jimmy Cobb, drums.)
CD 2: (July 4, 1966: Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI)
Selections: 1. Gingerbread Boy * 2. All Blues * 3. Stella By Starlight * 4. R.J. * 5. Seven Steps To Heaven * 6. The Theme / Closing Announcement by Leonard Feather.
(July 2, 1967: Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI)
Selections: 7. Spoken Introduction by Del Shields * 8. Gingerbread Boy * 9. Footprints * 10. 'Round Midnight * 11. So What * 12. The Theme * 13. Closing Announcement by Del Shields
(1966 & 1967: Miles Davis, trumpet; Wayne Shorter, tenor saxophone; Herbie Hancock, piano; Ron Carter, bass; Tony Williams, drums.)
CD 3: (July 5, 1969: Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI)
Selections: 1. Miles Runs The Voodoo Down (previously released) * 2. Sanctuary (previously released) * 3. It's About That Time / The Theme (previously released) .
(Miles Davis, trumpet; Chick Corea, electric piano; Dave Holland, bass; Jack DeJohnette, drums.)
(November 1, 1973: Newport Jazz Festival In Europe, Berlin)
Selections: 4. Band warming up / voice over introduction * 5. Turnaroundphrase * 6. Tune In 5 * 7. Ife * 8. Untitled Original * 9. Tune In 5.
(Miles Davis, trumpet, organ; Dave Liebman, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone, flute; Pete Cosey, guitar, percussion; Reggie Lucas, guitar; Michael Henderson, electric bass; Al Foster, drums; James Mtume Forman, percussion.)
(July 1, 1975: Newport Jazz Festival - NY, Avery Fisher Hall)
Selection: 10. Mtume.
(Miles Davis, trumpet, organ; Sam Morrison, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone, flute; Pete Cosey, guitar, percussion; Reggie Lucas, guitar; Michael Henderson, electric bass; Al Foster, drums; James Mtume Forman, percussion.)
CD 4: (October 22, 1971 : Newport Jazz Festival In Europe, Neue Stadthalle, Dietikon, Switzerland)
Selections: 1. Directions * 2. What I Say * 3. Sanctuary * 4. It's About That Time * 5. Bitches Brew * 6. Funky Tonk * 7. Sanctuary.
(Miles Davis, trumpet; Gary Bartz, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone; Keith Jarrett, electric piano, organ; Michael Henderson, electric bass; Ndugu Leon Chancler, drums; Don Alias, percussion; James Mtume Forman, percussion.)

tl;dr version:

CD1 is '55 and 58' (previously released as "Newport '58")

CD 2 is '66 and '67

CD 3 is '69 (all previousle released on "Bitches Brew Live"), '73 and '75

CD 4 is entirely '71

Well, strange move. I guess "Newport", as well as "Fillmore" is a better key word to sell a product than "Miles Live from 19xx"

Obviously adding cuts from "Bitches Brew Live" (which is a must for a Davis maniac, and so as the bootleg series) is a very, very uncool move.

As well as shrinking the '75 sets from a 2CD material to just one short track.... anybody remember disappointment with the great Montreux DVD boxes with only one track from the 70s? (possibly the weakest one).

Of course the '71 set is fine, as well as the Berlin 1973, although a well known gig.

I'm curious what they're waiting for with "unleashing the vaults"? For all older fans becoming old and deaf :D? Why no more complete sessions boxes (all OOP), why no big live collections? This "Newport" key really makes me thing they want to target as many jazz fans as possible, vast Miles fans horde is not enough.

They are tying in to the Newport Festival which will have a 60th anniversary tribute of some sort to the reknown '55 festival appearance by Miles that led to his Columbia signing and subsequent huge fame.

I am puzzled by the '69 full appearance here but at least it was a DVD before and is CD here--not everyone transfers audio from one format to another (I sure don't). And perhaps a full release of the '75 is planned and this is just a teaser to represent that part of the Newport related material.

As for what is holding them back. . . my guess is two main factors. One. . . CDs are just not a priority the way they certainly were twenty years ago when Miles CDs were huge news and huge promotions etc. And two. . . I suspect the family has different ideas than the record label and also their pecuniary ideas seem to offer little incentive to the label.

tl;dr version:

CD 2 is '66 and '67

CD 4 is entirely '71

Well, strange move. I guess "Newport", as well as "Fillmore" is a better key word to sell a product than "Miles Live from 19xx"

Obviously adding cuts from "Bitches Brew Live" (which is a must for a Davis maniac, and so as the bootleg series) is a very, very uncool move.

As well as shrinking the '75 sets from a 2CD material to just one short track.... anybody remember disappointment with the great Montreux DVD boxes with only one track from the 70s? (possibly the weakest one).

Of course the '71 set is fine, as well as the Berlin 1973, although a well known gig.

I'm curious what they're waiting for with "unleashing the vaults"? For all older fans becoming old and deaf :D? Why no more complete sessions boxes (all OOP), why no big live collections? This "Newport" key really makes me thing they want to target as many jazz fans as possible, vast Miles fans horde is not enough.

....and why no more video from 1969-1973 period?

There's a lot of excellent pro-shot stuff recorded by European TV and it would be great ufficialize some of these concerts....for example the beautiful Oslo concert (Chateau Neuf,November 9,1971)

tl;dr version:

CD 2 is '66 and '67

CD 4 is entirely '71

Just a reminder that linking directly to bootlegs is against forum rules, although discussing such items and providing indirect suggestions about where to find them is, if not exactly, encouraged, generally tolerated.

Because of that, I've had to remove your link to the ROIO site.

Thank you for, hopefully, understanding.

I am puzzled by the '69 full appearance here but at least it was a DVD before and is CD here--not everyone transfers audio from one format to another (I sure don't). And perhaps a full release of the '75 is planned and this is just a teaser to represent that part of the Newport related material.

Newport '69 was only released on CD, Bitches Brew Live, along with Isle of Wight. It wasn't part of the Isle of Wight concert film (Miles Electric: A Different Kind Of Blue). Newport '69 is just three tracks without Wayne Shorter, who was stuck in traffic.

I hope so...

I already have the '66 & '67 Newport sets issued by Spanish Domino Records , a sort of bootleg label;

the setlists taken from the original live radio broadcasts (?) are incomplete and the sound quality is acceptable.

so i'm sure this official issue will be a real upgrade...

Newport66-1.jpg

Newport66-2.jpg

They are tying in to the Newport Festival which will have a 60th anniversary tribute of some sort to the reknown '55 festival appearance by Miles that led to his Columbia signing and subsequent huge fame.

As for what is holding them back. . . my guess is two main factors. One. . . CDs are just not a priority the way they certainly were twenty years ago when Miles CDs were huge news and huge promotions etc. And two. . . I suspect the family has different ideas than the record label and also their pecuniary ideas seem to offer little incentive to the label.

Yes, "Bitches Brew Live" was audio only.

For sure CD's aren't as important as they're two decades back, but... how about all those "Complete Sessions" boxes? Jack Johnson - 2003, OOP. Cellar Door - 2005, OOP. On The Corner - 2007, OOP (I feel like writing about KIA soldiers...). Not to mention a mammoth Bitches Brew set from 2013, which is now having a re-release in 4CD form. So the logic dictates that further boxes would also be out of print pretty fast. There must be a reason that all of those Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton's and other rock stars have epic super deluxe editions.

I know it's a dream, but a box set inspired by King Crimson's "Road to Red" would be an amazing thing.

I hope so...

I already have the '66 & '67 Newport sets issued by Spanish Domino Records , a sort of bootleg label;

the setlists taken from the original live radio broadcasts (?) are incomplete and the sound quality is acceptable.

so i'm sure this official issue will be a real upgrade...

Newport66-1.jpg

Newport66-2.jpg

These crooks take their stuff straight from dime.

Not to mention a mammoth Bitches Brew set from 2013, which is now having a re-release in 4CD form.

A slap in the face of those who bought the three disc (2 CD + 1 DVD) Legacy edition extracted from the 40th Anniversary set.

True (of course the original is from 2010, not 2013 though).

I did go for the big version eventually, and it's mighty nice (50 some euro at amazon.it right now) - wanted that Tanglewood set.

Edited by king ubu

51g_A87_OOyi_L.jpg

Is anyone here familiar with this book.

There is a thread by the author on Steve Hoffman Forum.

Yes, "Bitches Brew Live" was audio only.

For sure CD's aren't as important as they're two decades back, but... how about all those "Complete Sessions" boxes? Jack Johnson - 2003, OOP. Cellar Door - 2005, OOP. On The Corner - 2007, OOP (I feel like writing about KIA soldiers...). Not to mention a mammoth Bitches Brew set from 2013, which is now having a re-release in 4CD form. So the logic dictates that further boxes would also be out of print pretty fast. There must be a reason that all of those Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton's and other rock stars have epic super deluxe editions.

I know it's a dream, but a box set inspired by King Crimson's "Road to Red" would be an amazing thing.

I'd love to see oodles of cds too, and I think we'll still see some, though those sets were mostly before 2010 and the world after 2010 in the CD market is very different. Also to expect Miles Davis to get the same sort of treatment that Zeppelin and Crimson do. . . as much as we love him, his selling power is lower down the totem pole. Also. . the Zep and Crim releases have heavy band/artist involvement in both possibly a catalyst and a consultant role. The estate seems to be more of a hindrance than a help, and Miles is only with us in spirit. And maybe more with us in spirit than with the estate!

Edited by jazzbo

Frankly this one looks pretty good to me as I don't have any of this except the 1958 stuff on the old split LP. As much as I love Miles my interest drops precipitously during the electric period. I have the original albums but have never gone in for the extra stuff.

Frankly this one looks pretty good to me as I don't have any of this except the 1958 stuff on the old split LP. As much as I love Miles my interest drops precipitously during the electric period. I have the original albums but have never gone in for the extra stuff.

Likewise I've only got the 1958 in it's first CD incarnation. I'm game for all periods of MIles. As long as they keep coherence and quality going I'll surely continue to go for these Bootleg sets.

Likewise I've only got the 1958 in it's first CD incarnation. I'm game for all periods of MIles. As long as they keep coherence and quality going I'll surely continue to go for these Bootleg sets.

417npnfnTZL.jpg

A great 35 1/2 minutes performance from the Isle of Wight festival makes Bitches Brew Live worth getting even if the first three tracks from Newport '69 will be reissued on the Bootleg Series Vol.4.

At £4.99 you get one of the very best electric Miles recordings officially released.

Edited by erwbol

• 5 weeks later...