Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series Vol. 4

BFrank

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting aspect of this set, is that the Newport '66, '67, Berlin and Switzerland sets are listed in the credits as provided "from the collection of the Producers", I will ask the Davis estate about this when I interview them for New York Jazz Workshop next week. I can assure you things sound fantastic.

Edited by CJ Shearn

What's the amazon.de shipping? About five bucks?

I believe you do not have to pay VAT if you export to the US, so it should be cheaper than ordering from amazon.com.

Put the item in your cart and initiate the checkout process to see what kind of a deal you get.

What's the amazon.de shipping? About five bucks?

I believe you do not have to pay VAT if you export to the US, so it should be cheaper than ordering from amazon.com.

Put the item in your cart and initiate the checkout process to see what kind of a deal you get.

You are correct.

Probably a dumb question, definitely an ignorant one, but there's no chance that the item offered by Amazon Germany is going to be released with German liner notes, correct? Or any other packaging difference?

That price difference is pretty significant. Since I already have the music, my interest here is doing the right thing and getting a legit version of that material, and/but also at the best price available in the legit marketplace.

No. English liner notes. Only a made in EU line on the discs and back cover art.

As for packaging differences? I believe the EU digipaks from the 90s Impulse! Master Sessions used thicker cardboard. So much for American exceptionalism.

Edited by erwbol

Quite looking forward to this set. I think it'll be a fun program. The vast majority of the material is new to me. Coincidentally i've got some time off work around the time this comes out; looking froward to just chilling at home, putting my feet up and tripping off on Miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the liner notes state the Dietkon tape is direct from the SRF archives, other performances like the '66 and '67 Second Quintet gigs are sourced from the collection of the producers.  My podcast with Erin Davis and Vince Wilburn, Jr. http://bit.ly/1IzfFcC  we talk a bit about the source of the tapes.  I had you guys in mind when I asked :)

Well, the liner notes state the Dietkon tape is direct from the SRF archives, other performances like the '66 and '67 Second Quintet gigs are sourced from the collection of the producers.  My podcast with Erin Davis and Vince Wilburn, Jr. http://bit.ly/1IzfFcC  we talk a bit about the source of the tapes.  I had you guys in mind when I asked :)

thanks. it will be interesting to compare the box set version to the existing 2000's fm broadcast. a raw pre-fm/soundboard recording usually has a fuller sound in the mid and low frequencies than an fm broadcast. of course, the producers of the box will have eq'd ('remastered') the recording for the box. so there may not be any way to tell for certain.

thanks. it will be interesting to compare the box set version to the existing 2000's fm broadcast. a raw pre-fm/soundboard recording usually has a fuller sound in the mid and low frequencies than an fm broadcast. of course, the producers of the box will have eq'd ('remastered') the recording for the box. so there may not be any way to tell for certain.

Welcome, l p.  I think I know what you mean, I have pre FM/soundboards broadcasts from other artists and they have that sound, fuller mids and fatter lows.  I can tell you that you will be VERY pleased with the sound of this gig in the box.  I'll be reviewing the set a few days before the 17th.

Edited by CJ Shearn

I'm hoping someday that George Wein and the other organizers of the Newport Jazz Festival will release more stuff from their precious vault.Since there was a movie of the 1958 festival documented called Jazz On A Summer's Day and another documentary on Louis Armstrong when he appeared at the festival in 1970.I'd love to see them make a film of the 1964,1965 and 1966 festivals combined and especially the one that occurred in 1969,the first that incorporated rock,blues,soul and jazz acts.I know those concerts were recorded and some appear on the Wolfgang's Vault website,they had to have filmed the above mentioned shows from those years.My fingers are crossed!!!