Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series Vol. 4

BFrank

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I still won't have the stereo set up for a few days, but the booklet is very nice and as is all the packaging. So happy we have this bootleg series!

Glad you enjoy it :)  I like the kind of aqua ish color of the package.  I will have yet another Miles poster to hang when I move into my new place

Re the "On The Corner" box set, I haven't downloaded it because I want the booklet.  I like the chronological narratives, and need the shifting cast of musicians.

if you're expecting anything useful out of the booklet besides the listing of musicians, you will be disappointed. 

I haven't made it past disc 3 of the Newport set yet, but I'm glad it's all in one place despite the presence of previously released material. Were other Newport appearances by Miles recorded too? Is this set all there is?

Re the "On The Corner" box set, I haven't downloaded it because I want the booklet.  I like the chronological narratives, and need the shifting cast of musicians.

if you're expecting anything useful out of the booklet besides the listing of musicians, you will be disappointed. 

I haven't made it past disc 3 of the Newport set yet, but I'm glad it's all in one place despite the presence of previously released material. Were other Newport appearances by Miles recorded too? Is this set all there is?

I can tell you that the 7/1/75 show I attended was about 2 hours, with an intermission.  Odd that they're only including one track here.

It also has a very nice box which is a variation of the other boxes. 

and some new Corky McCoy art (Miles as the Devil with tabourine) !

I can tell you that the 7/1/75 show I attended was about 2 hours, with an intermission.  Odd that they're only including one track here.

It is odd.  There are longer tapes of that concert in circulation.

There's no way they could have had the entire concert without an additional disc. . . and this series seems built around four cd sets. They could have not included it at all, might have been better, but they wanted to get a representation of Newport shows from the start to Miles' "retirement" and they never claimed it would be "complete." I'm okay with what they did, probably won't listen to this excerpt of '75 often but the rest of the set is excellent imo.

the people on the miles list aren't at all happy with this release. none of it is new. one post called it a 'dog's dinner'.

and the 1973 show should have been a dvd, because the audio is taken from the video, and the video is excellent quality.

People are free to like or dislike what they want to. I like this release, it does contain a lot of material that has been "out" before legitimately and illegitimately, but the previous bootleg material has never sounded like this in my holdings and I'm glad to have it all under one roof so to speak.

I find more and more negativity online among music postings and I'm spending less time online as a result. Looking forward to Volume 5 no matter what it is, and the next Dylan Bootleg Series items.

People are free to like or dislike what they want to. I like this release, it does contain a lot of material that has been "out" before legitimately and illegitimately, but the previous bootleg material has never sounded like this in my holdings and I'm glad to have it all under one roof so to speak.

I find more and more negativity online among music postings and I'm spending less time online as a result. Looking forward to Volume 5 no matter what it is, and the next Dylan Bootleg Series items.

Here, here!

I am glad I'm not a record producer etc.--you can hardly please anyone at all these days, so much negativity.

You know, no one was complaining in this thread about the other material not being present. It was more a question out of curiosity. I asked were other Newport sets also recorded. Go back and read the post. Not sure where you're perceiving all the "negativity".

Wasn't necessarily referring to this thread, I was referring to many threads on many boards. . . I read elsewhere on the internet, and I was also directly responding to Len's comment about the Miles list.

Edited by jazzbo

I was referring to many threads on many boards. . . I read elsewhere on the internet, 

i was being a smart alec in my previous post, but when i'm deciding if i really want to see a movie that i'm not sure about, i try to find a positive review and a negative review of it, for balance.

all the material being previously available is a valid criticism. 

I was referring to many threads on many boards. . . I read elsewhere on the internet, 

i was being a smart alec in my previous post, but when i'm deciding if i really want to see a movie that i'm not sure about, i try to find a positive review and a negative review of it, for balance.

Valid to the degree that the previous availability of the material was legit and in comparable audio quality.

previous availability, all originating from the same tapes that were used for this release:

sony/columbia/storyville cd's

wolfgang's vault

radio broadcast   dietikon show (there was a re-broadcast of this in 2004)

video broadcast   berlin show (there was a re-broadcast of this in the past several years)

the one tune from 1975 is previously unissued, but is from the same stage recording as the widely circulating tapes of the complete 90minute show.