Dexter Gordon

John Tapscott

• 3 weeks later...

This has nothing to do with "One Flight Up" but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this question.

+++

"Ca' Purange" - What language is it? What does it mean? How do you pronounce it?

A French friend told me that it's not French.

It's a great album, BTW.

This has nothing to do with "One Flight Up" but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this question.

+++

"Ca' Purange" - What language is it? What does it mean? How do you pronounce it?

A French friend told me that it's not French.

It's a great album, BTW.

Good question. I always assumed that it was Portuguese (Brazilian), as it first appeared on Gene Ammons' "Bad! Bossa Nova." On that album, it had the subtitle, "Jungle Soul." That couldn't be the translation, however.

Edited by John L

I did an internet search and apparently it means Jungle Soul. Don't ask me what language it's from, however. I'm fluent in Spanish, knowledgeable in French and can read a little bit of Portuguese (having lived in Brasil) and that translation doesn't equate in any of those languages.

The liner notes to "Bad" Bossa Nova!" describe a trip to a Columbian jungle. (I assume that they were written by Jug himself, although there is no indication.) While in the jungle, they overheard an Indian tribe singing "Ca purange a pe gawa y tonde." No translation is provided, although it is mentioned that it was a "deeply rooted ceremony" by some "hip" natives. Sounds like jungle soul to me. ;)