Spotify data: Most lose interest in new music at age 33

This report says that most people lose interest in new music at age 33.

So I wonder...Could it be that most new music is made for the teen market, and therefore is of no interest to adults?

http://skynetandebert.com/2015/04/22/music-was-better-back-then-when-do-we-stop-keeping-up-with-popular-music/

Edited by GA Russell

I remember my dad's friends all saying this same thing back in the day, but they were all, like, you know, old.

Jim, up until 1970 or so, Columbia, Reprise, A&M and London (British Decca) made quite a number of records for your dad's friends.

In fact, I remember your linking me to a 1966 Billboard chart for adult music.

I'm nearly twice that age (I said 'nearly' - haha) and have never spent MORE time looking for new music. It doesn't even have to be "new", just something I haven't heard before. I think I would go crazy if I ONLY listened to the same stuff I loved when I was young.

Popular music, as in chart music, is utterly debased now and I am surprised that people are still listening to it in their early 30s. It is dead and no longer the vanguard of popular culture or the zeitgeist of our times as it was during the last half century of the 20th century. That is the real dilemma and question: how to reinvigorate it?

There was an article in the British media last week, about how people at the age 42, return to the pop music charts. I find that very hard to believe, you don't leave manufactured pop for higher things only to return buzzing for your teenage kicks in early middle age.

Popular music, as in chart music, is utterly debased now and I am surprised that people are still listening to it in their early 30s. It is dead and no longer the vanguard of popular culture or the zeitgeist of our times as it was during the last half century of the 20th century. That is the real dilemma and question: how to reinvigorate it?

There was an article in the British media last week, about how people at the age 42, return to the pop music charts. I find that very hard to believe, you don't leave manufactured pop for higher things only to return buzzing for your teenage kicks in early middle age.

I know I returned to more "simplified" styles in my late 30's after I discovered the joys of Alt. Country. And at the ripe old age of 44, while the Pop charts leave me ice cold, I will readily admit that my wife got me to listen to Taylor swift's new album, 1989, and I have to say I find it rather enjoyable to listen to.

But the whole Katy Perry thing? Totally lost on this boy. And I will never listen to somebody ft. somebody else.