Miles Davis and Mitch Mitchell - really?

Rooster_Ties

I just noticed that the Wikipedia entry for Mitch Mitchell (here, the end of the section/paragraph entitled "Notable projects"), says:

Mitchell also took part in Miles Davis' demo sessions for the 1969 album Bitches Brew, but did not appear on the final album.

Really? That would either be news to me, or is one of several hundred things I once knew (but have long since forgotten).

Any truth to this?

(Of course the reference in the Wikipedia article isn't sourced, so it could easily be apocryphal.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I just noticed that the Wikipedia entry for Mitch Mitchell (here, the end of the section/paragraph entitled "Notable projects"), says:

Mitchell also took part in Miles Davis' demo sessions for the 1969 album Bitches Brew, but did not appear on the final album.

Really? That would either be news to me, or is one of several hundred things I once knew (but have long since forgotten).

Any truth to this?

(Of course the reference in the Wikipedia article isn't sourced, so it could easily be apocryphal.)

Bob Belden posted a track on his website a few years ago of Betty Mabry doing Cream's "Politician." These are the details he listed: Produced by Miles Davis, recorded 5/20/69 at Columbia Studio B, Stan Tonkel - engineer. Betty Mabry, vocal; John McLaughlin, guitar; Larry Young, organ; Harvey Brooks, electric bass; Mitch Mitchell, drums.

Interestingly, plosin.com doesn't list this session.

I too was shocked that no one at first realized who he was. Because he was a great drummer, far superior to Ginger Baker.

I like Ginger Baker, but I would definitely have to agree.

How Mitchell hardly ever recorded again after Hendrix' passing has always been a mystery, and a real shame.

• 2 weeks later...

All Miles Davis/Pop Culture connections blur together in my head after a while, so perhaps I have gotten confused...but didn't Mitch Mitchell retire from music to go pitch for the Phillies at some point? That's why they called him "Wild Thing", because he was the guy who taught that song to Hendrix, right?

I'm better at sports trivia than I am at pop culture.

Oh, ok, I see my error. I was thinking of the Hendrix song "The Wind Cries Norah", named after Ravi's daughter Norah, who Hendrix met backstage at Monterrey.

Only of course, that song was really called "They Call The Wind Mariah", which of course has nothing to do with either Norah Jones or Mariah Carey. Frankly, I still don't know what that song's about, to be honest with you, even though it's been covered by some very unlikely, non-Hendrixian singers.

Sorry for all the confusion. My bad.

Oh, ok, I see my error. I was thinking of the Hendrix song "The Wind Cries Norah", named after Ravi's daughter Norah, who Hendrix met backstage at Monterrey.

Only of course, that song was really called "They Call The Wind Mariah", which of course has nothing to do with either Norah Jones or Mariah Carey. Frankly, I still don't know what that song's about, to be honest with you, even though it's been covered by some very unlikely, non-Hendrixian singers.

I'm not sure if you're joking, but the Hendrix is called The Wind Cries Mary and I think I read that Miles said it influenced Bitch's Brew. (They Call the Wind Maria is from Paint Your Wagon.)

Edited by medjuck

"The Wind Cries Mary" definitely is important to "Filles de Kilamanjaro."

You know as much as I would have liked to hear Miles and Jimi, what I would have liked to hear even more a real and studied collaboration with Gil Evans. Man that could have been amazing!

I'm not sure if you're joking, but the Hendrix is called The Wind Cries Mary and I think I read that Miles said it influenced Bitch's Brew. (They Call the Wind Maria is from Paint Your Wagon.)

Rest assured, the tongue is firmly in cheek. Pretty sure that everybody on this board knows who Mitch Mitchell is/was.

What I'm not sure about is which came first, that toothpaste, or that university?

And for real, I also still have no idea what "They Call The Wind Mariah" is about, but on that one, I really do not care.

The Dude: It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh...

Donny: I am the walrus.

The Dude: You know what I'm trying to say...

Walter Sobchak: That fucking bitch...

The Dude: Oh yeah!

Walter Sobchak: Shut the fuck up, Donny! V.I. Lenin. Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov!

Donny: What the fuck is he talking about, Dude?