Australia and New Zealand Travel

Anyone know anything about travel to Australia and New Zealand? I'm trying to book an anniversary trip for friends, going to Sydney and New Caldedonia (via Auckland). I'm trying to figure out - or guess at October/November seasonal hotel rates. A hotel that's AUD160 today is AUD560 in October. That's a heckuva seasonal upcharge when October isn't even high season. I'm trying to guess whether that rate is going to "stick" (too expensive) or fall (in which case I'll go ahead and book airfare).

I got recruited to do this because I travel a lot. But I don't go to desireable places or, really, places with 300+% seasonal swings.

Thanks

Edited by BeBop

If you were coming to Brisbane you could have stayed at our place for nix - we have 2 spare bedrooms (children away studying in different cities)

Unfortunately Brisbane is approximately 1000kms north of Sydney

Those prices don't make sense (that price in October!! did it coincide with a public holiday weekend?) - peak season or even shoulder season doesn't start till November (late I think) & is at its peak in December & January - coincides with the School Holidays (usually commence early to mid December)

October is a lovely time of the year here (Spring) - not too hot - just right - perfect motorcycle riding weather

Don't come to Australia in January/February - it's unbearably hot (& getting worse - records being broken yearly & bush fires worsening)

romualdo and xybert - thanks for the tips and offers of help and hospitality. Brisbane to Sydney, just 1000km? Why, in Australia, that makes you near neighbors, right? (I can remember a bike race I had, years ago, coast to coast. Long haul. Perth to Sydney, 2400 miles/3900km. Best finishers in 6 days and a few hours.)

I have a feeling my friends will end up spending extra time in Noumea and Auckland, since they are relative bargains next to Sydney.

Thanks again!

From my experience, Aukland is by far the most expensive place to visit in NZ, although perhaps Queenstown in the South Island runs it close. Comparable to London for eating out etc. from what I could see but not sure about hotel rates. Sydney must be off the scale !

Edited by sidewinder

From my experience, Aukland is by far the most expensive place to visit in NZ, although perhaps Queenstown in the South Island runs it close. Comparable to London for eating out etc. from what I could see but not sure about hotel rates. Sydney must be off the scale !

Fair warning, the weather's pretty bad in October/November too, but it's hard to predict. Auckland is famous (or 'world famous in New Zealand' as we say here) for having 'four seasons in one day' weather.

I was there in Late Nov/early Dec last year and my recollections were that it was blustery and quite changeable.

When the weather was good the beaches in and around Aukland were very pleasant. At least one half decent vinyl shop downtown too..

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting my own thread from 2015, now I'm going to Auckland and Melbourne.  It's a work trip, but I'm hoping for a little slack time.  (Time zone differences between those spots and "home office" may provide some opportunity to trade sleep for ????)  Two weeks total, with most time spent in Melbourne.

So, if anyone has thoughts on (1) live music, or (2) local stuff that might appeal to an extremely jaded traveler - 24 years at 365 days a year burnout - please share. 

I don't drink and I'm a ^&*#$^( ~   40-year vegan*, so my universe of food and bev is pretty narrow, but if you want to take a shot at that...

Thanks!

* as opposed to the many "vegan-this-week"s.

5 hours ago, BeBop said:

Resurrecting my own thread from 2015, now I'm going to Auckland and Melbourne.  It's a work trip, but I'm hoping for a little slack time.  (Time zone differences between those spots and "home office" may provide some opportunity to trade sleep for ????)  Two weeks total, with most time spent in Melbourne.

So, if anyone has thoughts on (1) live music, or (2) local stuff that might appeal to an extremely jaded traveler - 24 years at 365 days a year burnout - please share. 

I don't drink and I'm a ^&*#$^( ~   40-year vegan*, so my universe of food and bev is pretty narrow, but if you want to take a shot at that...

Thanks!

* as opposed to the many "vegan-this-week"s.

There's a cool little jazz cd store in Sydney if you get over there called "Birdland." I took a day tour in Auckland that went to Hobbiton, Rotorua, and the very, very cool Waitomo Glow Worm caves. Took a whole day, but I enjoyed it.

gregmo

Waitomo Caves tour is definitely worth doing if you can get there. If you have time, do all 3 of the cave systems, which can be done in about 3-4 hours.

They also do a blackwater cave rapids thing on inner tubes, for the braver amongst us. Wet suits provided !

Edited by sidewinder