"Undecided" On Wes Montgomery: In the Beginning

medjuck

I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion of this since its release. Let me start one: Is that really "Undecided" they recorded for

Epic? It doesn't sound much like the "First you say you do..." one to me though the liner notes claim it's the one written by Charlie Shavers.

Edited by medjuck

i have a question mark by that one too. and the 'blues' from the same session sounds like an unknown title rather than just a blues.

there are mistakes in the personnel listing on some tunes. brazil doesn't have a sax, and going down to big mary's does.

but they got everybody and their grandmothers to do some reminiscin' in the liner notes.

i'm not very impressed with wes' playing on this (except on brazil and caravan). would prefer some 1966-68 live material instead.

Edited by l p

yes, that is really undecided. i'm very impressed with wes' playing on that recording. for me the highlights are caravan, all the things and after you've gone. the bright tempos and wes' nice bright pre-riverside sound (despite the mediocre sound quality) make this a very enjoyable record. four gets a very interesting bluesy treatment. we also get wes on four-string fender bass.