12. They Can't Take That Away From Me - Take 1 / Alternate
13. Out Of Nowhere - Take 1 / Alternate
14. East Of The Sun (And West Of The Moon) - Take 1 / Alternate
15. Easy To Love - Take 1 / Alternate
16. I'm In The Mood For Love - Take 3 / Alternate
17. I'll Remember April - Takes 1 / Alternate & Take 2 / False Start
18. Temptation - Take 1 / Alternate
19. Stella By Starlight - Take 1 / Alternate

got them on individual LPs a long time ago, japanese Verve, quite expensive then.

Oh yeah, that cover art was typical for Verve. Strange paintings, and quite short liner notes, not very representative for the music, not like those Ira Gitler or someone of that category would write....

Some of it sounded quite commercially for me, most of all "Temptation", more like Hollywood movie from the 50´s than Bird....

How previously unreleased are we talking here?

Only the alternate takes of Laura, I'm in the mood for love and I'll remember April are on 'the complete Charlie Parker on Verve' 10 CD set. The rest is new. To me anyway. I don't know about the japanse LP's Gheorghe mentions. They are not mentioned in Tom Lord's on line disco.

Edited by Stompy Jones

At any rate Bird's face on that DSM cover somehow looks like a caricature of Mitch Miller to me. ;) (Note the beard, for example)

The person on the right is Mitch Miller I think. He played oebo on the first Bird with strings date. Bird is the one on the left :smirk:

At any rate Bird's face on that DSM cover somehow looks like a caricature of Mitch Miller to me. ;) (Note the beard, for example)

The person on the right is Mitch Miller I think. He played oebo on the first Bird with strings date. Bird is the one on the left :smirk:

I was referring to the one on the left. The picture that served as teh model for the DSM drawing on the right is familiar too. I know the one on the left is supposed to show Bird but somehow it looks very, very Miller-ish too. I can't recall Bird ever having had a beard like that in any of the known photos. Whereas a slightly trimmed Miller ... ;) Don't know what DSM had ingested when the drew THAT ..

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I can't recall Bird ever having had a beard like that in any of the known photos. ..

It is just a mustache, since the "goatee" is just the mouthpiece of the saxophone. I wouldn't say Parker sports even a mustache all that often, though I did see some footage of him with a scraggly looking one, nothing quite as luxurious as this...

I can't recall Bird ever having had a beard like that in any of the known photos. ..

It is just a mustache, since the "goatee" is just the mouthpiece of the saxophone. I wouldn't say Parker sports even a mustache all that often, though I did see some footage of him with a scraggly looking one, nothing quite as luxurious as this...

Moustache, beard ... never mind ... we are not talking about a Menjou pencil-thin moustache after all but something rather more substantial, handle-bar like in that drawing. And I did note that goatee-like mouthpiece too (though, again, making the mouthpiece look like a goatee is not something I'd rate as artistic freedom in this context either ...) Honestly, aren't you "picking nits" (of sorts)? ;) ;)

Let's face it, when it comes to capturing the essence of an artist (through his physiognomy) with a few deft strokes, this was one of the (much) weaker efforts of DSM and more of an awkward caricature. Maybe what I am saying here goes against the grain of DSM adulators (no, I'd not automaticaly rate you among them - just sayin ... ;) ) but that cover just is very odd if it is supposed to portray Bird.