Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza

Teasing the Korean

Recent reissues of some of their soundtracks seem to market them as a proto-krautrock or even avant-funk band, but that's only a minor part of the story.

Also, their name ("Nuovo Consonanza") might be misleading, because their music has nothing whatsoever to do with more recent "new consonant" or "new simplicity" trends in classical music.

For me their mix of avant-garde composition techniques and free improvisation made them one of the most interesting ànd successfull exponents of the incredibly fertile Italian new music scene of the 1960s. I'm a big fan, obviously.

"The private sea of dreams" is actually a reissue of their untitled first album, issued a couple of years earlier -much more attractively packaged!- in Italy.

Edited by corto maltese

I've a compilation '1967-1975' on Editions RZ and a reissue of 'Musici su Schemi' both of which I find rewarding but irregular listens.

I'd be interested to hear of what those in the know think are worth investigating next. There does seem to be a number of recent vinyl reissues kicking around at the moment

"The private sea of dreams" is actually a reissue of their untitled first album, issued a couple of years earlier -much more attractively packaged!- in Italy.

Right, the Italian RCA pressing was a superb-looking gatefold. There's a nice one on Deutsche Grammophon that came out as part of one of those Avant-garde boxed sets in the late '60s. Would like to get the General Music and Cinevox LPs at some point, but they're quite spendy - I've heard them and they are nice. Some tracks made it onto the Edition RZ CD, which I have boxed up somewhere. The Cramps LP is really good too, albeit more compositionally-structured than improvised; the sidelong piece on the second side is especially deep.

I like The Feed-Back (RCA Victor), recently reissued, but it's of a very different ilk!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a fan as well. I think I have everything on LP except the Cinevox album (which I have on CD). I've noticed some of the recent LPs have gone out of print and become expensive pretty quickly, so I would suggest picking up the reissue of the General Music album if anyone has been on the fence about it. I am hoping the interest leads to a vinyl reissue of the Cinevox album.

The re (?) issued soundtrack of a Quiet Day in the County was well done and it's a pretty great movie too.