Sad news from "Tom At Blue Note"

Tom Evered posted this on Face Book this morning:

Very sad news from New York. Two of my greatest friends, Bruce Lundvall and Bob Belden are in critical conditions in hospitals. Bruce has been battling Parkinsons for a few years. Recently he acquired a lung infection which has ravaged him and is making breathing almost impossible. At this moment his family is at his side at the hospital in New Jersey. He is struggling to stay with us.

On Sunday musician/composer/raconteur Bob Belden suffered a massive heart attack at his apartment on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. By the time the medics arrived he had been without a pulse for almost 15 minutes. I visited him last night at Lenox Hill hospital, where I ran into Tim Hagans and his wife. Bob is on life support...breathing apparatus, etc. and is non-responsive. His sister and brother in law have flown up from South Carolina. I had no discussion with the family or the doctors so I can't speak for them or Bob's condition...but it looks very grim.

These are dark days.

This is horrible news! Bob is such a great guy. I've had several long E-mail communications with him and he shared some of his space project surround music pieces with me. 58 is way too young.

Bruce has been having trouble for quite a while and I was expecting news like this some day. But Bob... just wow.

Bob was a college friend and an inspiration of sorts, the first guy to really taunt "the program" and have success anyway...the one guy who turned me and a few others into hardcore BN collectors, the one ""name" guy amongst the "cool kids" who heard my own "free" inclinations and GOT it (had to earn it, though...), we were the only two people in Denton who came there with Sam Rivers records, I think :) .....we reconnected through the BNBB and have chatted back and forth ever since, the last time just last week...this is upsetting.

Bob came to the school at 16, I think, and really couldn't play all that much. But he had attitude out the ass, more nerve than that, and more work ethic than that. The guy seemed to be playing something somewhere with somebody literally 24/7/365. Sure seemed that way. I remember one time...he walked into the cafeteria with his horn out of the case and a copy of Tetragon under his arm and wanted to know if anybody had a reed...geez, those were the days, nothing to do but play, nothing.

Smart motherfucker, he was, smart. Cynical as hell too, but once he dug you and figured you were not bullshitting about music, he would not be your enemy, ever. We played together in an "experimental" big band, kind of an "Anti-Lab Band" and one day he came up to me and said, "man, I used to think you were the jivest cat here...now I realize you're just the weirdest"...gave me a deadpan look and then I said "fuck you, Belden" and then we both started laughing...this is how respect sometimes manifests itself. He was the kind of guy who would walk up to you and say with another one of those deadpan looks, "I was sitting in English class today and wrote out this George Coleman solo, wanna see it?" and you'd be, like fuck you, Belden, but with nothing but love, right?

"Praying for a miracle" is not usually my style, but for this cat...this is upsetting.

I'll never forget the way Belden, almost certainly without consciously intending to do so, put down so definitively one of jazz's more pompous pontificators while we and a few others were eating lunch at an Upper West Side sandwich shop that Mr. Pomposity got up and walked out in mid-sentence, leaving his half-eaten sandwich behind. Bob, bless him, didn't blink an eye, just kept on talking about what he'd been talking about.

I'll never forget the way Belden, almost certainly without consciously intending to do so, put down so definitively one of jazz's more pompous pontificators while we and a few others were eating lunch at an Upper West Side sandwich shop that Mr. Pomposity got up and walked out in mid-sentence, leaving his half-eaten sandwich behind. Bob, bless him, didn't blink an eye, just kept on talking about what he'd been talking about.

The key word there is "almost". :g

I remember a talk we had about the Animation/Reanimation band, and Bob said something to the effect that Americans don't particularly like learning new vocabulary, never mind new languages, something like that. Point was just that as far as "jazz" and "America" went, he wasn't even going to hold out any hope for his music, nor did he have to, thanks to internet/digital/etc. The Miles From India thing, that was as much a socio-technology statement as it was a musical one.

some screenshots of bob belden playing in woody herman's band 1979 nice, france.

he is best seen in the photos in the top row, the 3 shots on the left.

I think I saw that Woody Herman Band and had not realised that Bob Belden was in the lineup.

My wishes for him and hoping for the best. What tragic news.

Edited by sidewinder