Where the hell is Phil Schaap?

I don't discount the possibility of humans levitating (seriously, I don't...highly unlikely and/or damn near impossible without some really fundamental rewiring of the brain relative to Newtonian principles, and who's got time for that these days?, yes. But absolutely imposible, no.), but the problem always arises - how do you levitate and answer the door at the same time? That's some Tesla-ian problematics, right there.

tesla%2Bquote.jpeg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have heard of the Avakian Schaap stuff but don't take any position on it. However, when it comes to Albertson he is so prejudiced against Schaap -- he railed against Schaap for the Mosaic Bird Box for no reason -- that I wouldnt trust his opinion on Phil on anything; he's simply not a credible source on the subject.

But now, hold on, wait a sec - am I misremembering my history, or was not a lot of Charles Lloyd's popularity at the time dismissed by those "in the know" as being a combination of Lloyd's own personal/extra-musical charisma and Avakian's PR skills? Meaning simply that Avakian was already known for the ability to take a good story and make it bigger?

I mean, I have no reason to doubt the Newport story, works for me. But I could see how some Ellingtonians would have considered Avakian kind of a jive cat (some of those guys, I get the impression, would find anybody a jive cat), just because, and knowing it would not be good for their jobs (current or future) to just put it like that, directed those general sentiments into reactions like that. And I'm equally sure that Schapp had been around enough of all sides of it up close enough to have issues of his own, and would not be predisposed to shutting that thread down just to preserve a legend, or whatever.

Now here's a serious (and honest) question - what, if/any, has Schapp's attitude towards George Wein been over the years?

Frankly, I think they're probably all assholes, and probably all more than a little bit crazy. But a grateful nation thanks them for their service nevertheless.

I don't discount the possibility of humans levitating (seriously, I don't...highly unlikely and/or damn near impossible without some really fundamental rewiring of the brain relative to Newtonian principles, and who's got time for that these days?, yes. But absolutely imposible, no.), but the problem always arises - how do you levitate and answer the door at the same time? That's some Tesla-ian problematics, right there.

tesla%2Bquote.jpeg

Lloyd told Dan that he had been levitating a few minutes before. That why he said that it would have been good if Dan had arrived sooner. Perhaps Lloyd's ability to levitate was a matter of timing and mood -- as in "sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't"?

Right. My point was that the "you shoulda been here a few minutes ago" is one of the oldest lines in the book, and that if Mr. Morgenstern had indeed been there those few minutes earlier, who would have answered the door?

Elsewhere, somewhere, I heard/read something about somebody saying they walked in on Sonny Rollins and he really was levitating. Not, like, 30 feet up in the air or anything, but an inch or so..

I'd believe it about Sonny Rollins before I'd believe it about Charles Lloyd in the 1960s, I'll tell you that much right now, and not just because Sonny went deep to seriously study that stuff, either.

Serious question with no snark: Why all this stuff about a person who talks about records on radio?

Serious answer: Because a good many people in the NYC area, having grown up listening to his show, regard him, to coin a phrase, as a legend in his own time?

As a Chicagoan, I used to venerate Daddy-O Daylie, Dick Buckley, and Sid McCoy because they were part of the furniture of my life, but to quote Whitney Balliett (or was it John S. Wilson?) "nostalgia is cheap witchcraft."

You know who was fun to listen to on the drive home? Bob Stewart in the mid-late 1970s, on KSAX-AM. Cat would play Unity and shit like that mixed in with Ronnie Laws and shit like that. Throw in commercials for various adult beverages and meeting places, local politicians, and competing car insurance companies, you had a ride home to a home that's not there anymore...and neither is Bob, which, eventually, is how it should be/will be, personal timing preferences/concerns not withstanding.

Real life in real time on the exact opposite of commercial-free FM college radio.

Just tuned in to Out to Lunch, Monday edition with Schaap. Got a small earful of grievances at the show's inception and recap on retirement decision. Listening now, I'm motivated to make an online pledge whether in anticipation of the future or in homage to the past. I'm seldom geographically positioned to listen, but it's still one of the best stations in the US. Or anywhere, IMO.

I doubt that Columbia will repair the damage on the CD issue, but if you can't find a pre-CD LP, Pure Pleasure has reissued the album version. It's expensive, but some good things do cost.

There's a European Columbia CD from the Jazz Originals series that contains the correct take of "Up and Down, Up and Down":

http://www.discogs.com/Duke-Ellington-And-His-Orchestra-Such-Sweet-Thunder/release/6563425

The track length is 3:06, as opposed to 3:00 on the f'd up newer discs. Not sure how available the Euro CD is, as Discogs doesn't list any for sale. I've had it a long time, and think I may have gotten it at Borders back when they used to still have a reasonably impressive CD selection.

I doubt that Columbia will repair the damage on the CD issue, but if you can't find a pre-CD LP, Pure Pleasure has reissued the album version. It's expensive, but some good things do cost.

There's a European Columbia CD from the Jazz Originals series that contains the correct take of "Up and Down, Up and Down":

http://www.discogs.com/Duke-Ellington-And-His-Orchestra-Such-Sweet-Thunder/release/6563425

The track length is 3:06, as opposed to 3:00 on the f'd up newer discs. Not sure how available the Euro CD is, as Discogs doesn't list any for sale. I've had it a long time, and think I may have gotten it at Borders back when they used to still have a reasonably impressive CD selection.

That is a much earlier edition.

I have Such Sweet Thunder from the Ellington Columbia box, and Up and Down shows a time of 3:09.

I have Such Sweet Thunder from the Ellington Columbia box, and Up and Down shows a time of 3:09.

As I said earlier: You can get the correct version of Up and Down on a cd called "Ralph Ellison: A Life in Music". It's available on Amazon and in fact you can download just that cut as an mp3 for 99cents. That cd lists the time as 3:03 but I assure you that it's the mono version on which Clark Terry closes the cut with "Lord, what fools the mortals be."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

One of the broadcasters on the Coleman Hawkins broadcast today said that Phil Schaap is sick. I know he is a somewhat controversial figure on these forums, and without getting in the middle of that discussion, I hope he makes a good recovery. I think he has played an important part in keeping so much jazz on WKCR, including these regular birthday broadcasts.

41 minutes ago, Sandman said:

One of the broadcasters on the Coleman Hawkins broadcast today said that Phil Schaap is sick. I know he is a somewhat controversial figure on these forums, and without getting in the middle of that discussion, I hope he makes a good recovery. I think he has played an important part in keeping so much jazz on WKCR, including these regular birthday broadcasts.

I haven’t listened to WKCR in awhile so wasn’t aware he was sick. Yes, he has his faults but when I first started listening to jazz, his Birdflight program was an invaluable asset.