Where the hell is Phil Schaap?

From Phil Facebook page. I hope he beats the cancer. I may be a rare one that doesn't mind his enthusiasm for the music. I really do believe jazz on WKCR survives because of him. 

I dearly thank you all for your messages towards my recovery. Many of your good wishes have brought tears to my eyes.
I believe that I will be able to do my Saturday evening broadcast - TRADITIONS IN SWING - in 2019 starting on Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 6pm ET (WKCR.org and on FM in New York at 89.9).

I was able to pay tribute to the late Lorraine Gordon and celebrate JABBO SMITH with my last Traditions In Swing of 2018 (12/22/2018).
Marginally, I am in the public but with limited help I can't respond to you all, individually.
I've learned from your Dear Listeners that the information of serious illness, major surgery, and a long recovery has not answered all your questions.

As I broadcast live on 12/22/2018:
I will receive chemotherapy into mid-spring 2019. Beyond cancer, other maladies may require two different and major surgeries after I beat this cancer.

I am determined to have some functionality and a smidgen of creativity, but I will often be out of action into fall 2019.

BEST to you all and BIG Thanks!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

I think the only thing we know, as per his FB post, is that he is fighting cancer. Right now, Birdflight is only an hour. I haven’t listened in awhile so I assume they’re just tapes. He seems to be active on Twitter posting links to his website. 

• 10 months later...

Not Where the Hell is Phil Schaap but how the hell did he end up a Jeopardy answer? 

This was April 29 at least according to his FB post. If you go to the thread you can also see someone's clip of the video.

:o

(and yes someone correctly answered "Count Basie")

https://www.facebook.com/pg/philschaap/posts/

Capture.JPG

53 minutes ago, Justin V said:

The Phil Schaap store can have some interesting stuff.  I bought a Lee Konitz signed CD a year or two ago and a check signed by Richard Wyands.  I briefly talked to both gentlemen but didn't ask for an autograph, so it was cool to later find two mementos.

Do you recall getting a confirmation email as promised? I ordered something on the site today and am stressing as nothing came over leaving me to wonder if it's now a ghost site taking credit card info.

4 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Do you recall getting a confirmation email as promised? I ordered something on the site today and am stressing as nothing came over leaving me to wonder if it's now a ghost site taking credit card info.

Did you try emailing them? 

13 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I ordered the Wyands check probably back in October and I received no email.  It took them a little time to get it out (it arrived in 2 weeks or so), but it was meticulously packaged and basically bombproof.

Out of curiosity, what did you order?  They have a listing for three signed Reggie Workman CDs that I wish they'd break up.  I'd order a single disc, but the cost for three is out of my price range.  I'm rich in appreciation for Workman, at least. :)

Edited by Justin V

13 hours ago, Justin V said:

I ordered the Wyands check probably back in October and I received no email.  It took them a little time to get it out (it arrived in 2 weeks or so), but it was meticulously packaged and basically bombproof.

Out of curiosity, what did you order?  They have a listing for three signed Reggie Workman CDs that I wish they'd break up.  I'd order a single disc, but the cost for three is out of my price range.  I'm rich in appreciation for Workman, at least. :)

Did you at least get a shipping notification?  I am wondering how a check requires such meticulous packaging!

Anyway I have been curious about the 45s listed on the Jazz Sessions label which I assume was Phil's, especially ones by Harold Ashby and George Kelly. They seem super rare, discogs doesn't even have them listed. Getting some gift cards from work moved me onto trying to get them. (I figure I might even flip these on eBay after and make some or all of the cost back.)

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Did you at least get a shipping notification?  I am wondering how a check requires such meticulous packaging!

Anyway I have been curious about the 45s listed on the Jazz Sessions label which I assume was Phil's, especially ones by Harold Ashby and George Kelly. They seem super rare, discogs doesn't even have them listed. Getting some gift cards from work moved me onto trying to get them. (I figure I might even flip these on eBay after and make some or all of the cost back.)

Dan, I received zero emails.  It was if my order never happened until it showed up.  If I remember correctly, the check came sandwiched between two huge pieces of sturdy cardboard, surrounded by bubble wrap.  My mailman could have sat on it and it wouldn't have mattered.

So, I wouldn't worry about the lack of emails.  Your vinyl will probably arrive via a courier who is carrying it in a suitcase that is handcuffed to his wrist.

1 hour ago, Justin V said:

Dan, I received zero emails.  It was if my order never happened until it showed up.  If I remember correctly, the check came sandwiched between two huge pieces of sturdy cardboard, surrounded by bubble wrap.  My mailman could have sat on it and it wouldn't have mattered.

So, I wouldn't worry about the lack of emails.  Your vinyl will probably arrive via a courier who is carrying it in a suitcase that is handcuffed to his wrist.

:g

Well I should be verifying that the charge went thru and also start monitoring my Amex charges online ... I kinda can't believe I did that but yes, I clicked submit even though the browser didn't have the lock insignia and said unsecure. I just figured it's easy enough to watch for bad charges, I am set up for an alert on charges over $200 and I'm tired of this same amex number since 1987.  :g:g 

Seriously though I hope Phil is ok, and also that he has someone handling orders or I may just never see the order at all.

55 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

I have been told that Phil, who has had a recurring cancer thing going on, is sick again.

I’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully, it’s not serious again as he’s been posting regularly on FB, most recently as of this past Friday. 

Edited by Brad

6 hours ago, Justin V said:

Weird I composed a reply this morning at Mom's but it didn't post?  Anyway thanks for the info; if he doesn't already, hopefully Phil has someone taking care of orders on the site. I need to check Amex online both to verify the charge (and start the clock per Justin) and also ... I hate to admit it ... but to be sure nothing questionable happens with the card.  I went ahead with the order despite the lack of the padlock insignia, https URL, and the fact that the browser was showing "nonsecure".   Hey, on the last screen it only showed the last four numbers. Gotta be secure, right?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 9:40 AM, Justin V said:

And, as predicted, two weeks and the box showed up. Never an email. Can't say if the box was handcuffed to the FedEx guy but it surely was well-packaged. Now I gotta do some listening. :)