Where the hell is Phil Schaap?

There's an update on Facebook about Phil's health.

I've developed a second cancer, a lymphoma, and the aggressive chemotherapy has worn me down. The prognosis is still cure and recent scans demonstrate that the treatment is doing some good.

Still, good days are few; however I'm staying with the Jazz.

And I feel compelled to mention that Phil references Jabbo Smith broadcasts in his post and it suddenly occurred me, I've learned that Percy France appeared with Jabbo Smith at the West End on a Friday night, which would coincide with the WKCR simulcasts from that club. So I figured, what the heck look in the radio archives and maybe there is a tiny chance that they rebroadcast that concert in one of those Jabbo broadcasts? I mean, its gotta be somewhat possible if not necessarily likely.

So I found four broadcasts in the archives and I am scanning thru them to see if any don't have the pops and clicks of old records ... I am on the December 2018 broadcast and it takes over 40 minutes at the start before Phil manages to broadcast a song. That set goes for about 25 minutes so we are about 65 minutes into a 3 hour broadcast, and Phil plays music again ... at the 1 hour 44 minute mark. 

Now I truly understand why some people have commented that they turned on Schaap on their way out of Manhattan and heard their first song somewhere north of Greenwich. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 8 months later...