Bob Belden - RIP

Kevin Bresnahan

Damn, I just saw this on twitter. HUGE loss, I loved his analysis' in liner notes and the Miles from India/Espanol projects. What I heard of the Sting project was great. Hopefully BN will reissue the Belden albums digitally soon. Though I have found them very cheap on eBay just now. That'll be for another time.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Many years ago, Bob & I had an E-mail conversation about the direction of music distribution. He sent me a link to some cool things he was working on. He said that he always had 3 or 4 things going on at once. He was getting into surround sound and was looking at different ways to use the web to get it out there. A few of the things he sent are at his youtube page, but I don't think they are in surround. His surround mix on the "Black Dahlia" SACD is incredible and shows what can be done with 5.1 and music.

Such a nice guy. I'm now wondering why I didn't keep the conversations going. I would've loved to hear his stories from his recent trip to Iran. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/world/rebirth-of-the-cool-american-music-makes-a-return-to-iran.html. Loved this: “Next stop: North Vietnam,” Mr. Belden joked. No wonder I liked the guy.

Besides his work mentioned elsewhere in his thread, I have to mention some of his other contributions. He did the arrangements for Herbie Hancock's The New Standard, an excellent album of pop covers, as well as the arrangements for the wonderful albums by The Classical Jazz Quartet, the super group that consisted of Stefon Harris, Kenny Barron, Ron Carter and Lewis Nash. He was such a multi-talented, gifted musician. Thank for everything, Mr. Belden, and rest in peace.

Edited by Justin V

Thanks for posting. His remarks on The Black Dahlia were interesting, because I had interpreted the music very much as he intended. For example, the 3 "death chords" that haunt her throughout the album. I had also interpreted that first loud chord as the murder, and that the rest is a flashback, as he had intended.

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I was looking for Belden's "Princejazz" on ebay when up pops someone selling his obituary cut out of the La Times for $9.99. :wacko::blink::huh:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-2015-BOB-BELDEN-OBITUARY-SAXOPHONIST-RETOOLED-THE-MUSIC-OF-OTHERS/143183739907?hash=item21566a7c03:g:J5UAAOSwpdpVdJtm

I've heard of people collecting some rather bizarre things but obit snippings?? I just don't get this one.