World's most expensive turntables

Larry Kart

May have posted this once before, but this cracks me up:

MusicStack's Guide to Collecting Vinyl Records

10 Most Expensive Turntables

Not that any of us could afford such extravagant turntables, but thankfully it doesn't cost anything to look and dream some.

10. TEAC's VPI HR-X1 turntable Price: $19,000

If you have a taste for high-end audio and don't mind spending richly for a hi-end craftsmanship than the run-of-the-mill speakers and audio systems, then this $19,000 TEAC's VPI HR-X1 turntable is meant to satiate your affluent tastes. The VPI HR-X from TEAC features a belt driven, 50-mm thick acrylic plate which floats on an air suspension system at 33.3 or 45rpm. The turntable features 24 extremely, 300rpm AC synchronous motors and it weighs approximately 52.5kg.

top-10-most-expensive-turntables.jpg 9. ClearAudio Master Reference Price: US $19,000

The ClearAudio Master Reference turntable is the just right pick if you are serious about aesthetics and audio. The turntable is hand-made in Germany and boasts a range of innovative features including APG (Accurate Power Generator) motor control system, master reference chassis, a master TQ-I tone arm and unique "Side-Force-Free" triple motor and belt drive system. The master reference turntable is also available in various other models and is considered by many leading audio magazines, including "The Absolute Sound", "Stereoplay" and "Hifi +" as the best turntable on the marker. Superb mechanical design and precise production provide the foundation for a cohesive, dynamic sound throughout the complete musical spectrum.

top-10-most-expensive-turntables1.jpg 8. Proscenium Black Diamond Turntable Price: US $40,000

The Proscenium Black Diamond Turntable is the result of over 30 years of research to build the best sounding turntable. Every component is selected precisely for its sonic performance. Even the finish on the platter has been selected for its sonic merit. Although the complete system is quite complex, it is extremely reliable and very easy to set up and play. The system comes complete with arm, requiring only your favorite cartridge. Salient features include a huge Air-bearing Platter that is 10 inches in diameter with 3 air jets, Platter and Record Clamp, remote Drive motor, and an Ultimate Motor Controller that comes mounted on an eight-piece Valid Points resonance control kit.

top-10-most-expensive-turntables2.jpg 7. SME 30 Turntable Price: US $40,000

The SME 30 Turntable is compact and incredibly dense, weighing in at 90 lbs. It employs a nifty suspension system using a combination of elastomers and silicone to achieve an almost zero Q suspension. The SME platter mat boasts a unique combination of high shear stiffness and effective vertical damping to purge the energy feedback from the platter back into the record. The amalgamation of compact high mass, non-resonant materials, and speed stability delivers a playback system that will flabbergast you with excellent dynamics, clarity, and noise free background.

top-10-most-expensive-turntables3.jpg 6. DaVinciAudio Labs AAS Gabriel Price: US $41,250

The unique design of the DaVinciAudio Labs AAS Gabriel turntable is inspired from the same process that is used to cut grooves into masters for vinyl discs. The turntable looks deadly cool when we take a look at its form factor and compare the make to the TransrotorArtus, Sondek LP12 SE turntable, TEAC's VPI HR-X1 turntable, Goldmund's The Reference II, and the Basis Audio turntable. All of these carry a hefty price tag but when we talk about looks, the AAS Gabriel turntable certainly sits at the top. Frankly speaking, it looks to be something that should be placed in an art museum. It comes equipped with highly stable drive chassis, acoustically sound turntable, silent bearings, and stable power supply. It has been designed in a way to produce absolutely zero noise or vibration. The inimitable design is inspired from the same process that is employed to cut grooves into masters for vinyl discs. Meant for the fat wallets, the 24-karat gold and white Luxury Edition sells for $41,250 while the silver and black version will set you back only $35,400.

top-10-most-expensive-turntables4.jpg 5. Continuum Caliburn Price: $90,000 to $112,000

Vinyl isn't dead, and the Continuum Caliburn turntable is the thing to prove that. The pricing for the turntable starts at $90,000 and goes up to $112,000, depending on finishes and includes some remarkable technology. The tone arm alone sells for $12,000. The turntable employs a magnetically levitated magnesium platter, which is suspended in a vacuum to guarantee there are no vibrations.

top-10-most-expensive-turntables5.jpg 4. Clearaudio Statement Price: US $125,000

The pertinently named Statement is a $125,000 assembly of wood, aluminum, and other sundry bits that has only one endeavor, to play records, and play them outstandingly well. Weighing 770 pounds, the Statement derives its rotational motivation from the same type of electric motor used to propel the Mars Rover. It touts a patented magnetic driven sub platter, dynamic balanced platters, Kardan turntable chassis suspension, real time speed control and active blue LCD display.

top-10-most-expensive-turntables6.jpg 3. TransrotorArtus Price: US $150,000

The Artus turntable comes straight from the house of German company Transrotor. It weighs 220 kg and the record is being held by the 500 kg Clearaudio STATEMENT. The Artus has a contact-less magnetic field drive, a balanced arm and new electronics. The reason for the high price is being a 4-in-1 product as it includes a LP player, phonograph, gramophone, and a turntable. The plants are a nice touch.

top-10-most-expensive-turntables7.jpg 2. Basis Audio's Work of Art turntable Price: US $150,000

Basis Audio is one of the leading turntable manufacturers of the world, which guarantees high quality systems to the music-lovers. Audiophiles fancy the quality of vinyl as a musical source, and the very best turntables are built on a philosophy of weight and stability. Basis Audio's "Work of Art" turntable makes use of a self-contained Resonance Annihilator, which plays the role of isolating it from vibration. The vibrational energy is neutralized by being transformed into heat energy, which is then efficiently dissipated. At $150,000, the Work of Art is definitely one of the most expensive consumer audio devices out there. It boasts features such as Resonance Annihilation, which attempts to remove all vibrations from the record, thereby creating a more pure sound.

top-10-most-expensive-turntables8.jpg 1. Goldmund's Reference II Price: US $300,000

This turntable is without doubt every music enthusiasts' dream gadget but only the uber-rich will be able to buy it as the price tag reads a cool $300,000. There are only 25 on the planet. The Reference II turntable features a degree of refinement and a number of never-seen-before features. The turntable features a 20kg platter machined to a hundredth of a millimeter, a motor vibration-shielded by 15kg of brass, and teflon-insulated signal-carrying electronics. Other specs include cog-free motor with lowest electrical and mechanical noise, liquid-nitrogen-rectified belt, touch controls integrated in the tabletop specially designed new Goldmund T8 straight-line tone arm with total weight of 7 kg. Limited editions of 25 units are sold on subscription with a maximum production of 5 units per year.

top-10-most-expensive-turntables9.jpg

Apart from the VPI and SME players I think these look pretty hideous. What's the betting that all that over engineering doesn't repay dividends to the listener. Mind you I'm sure there are plenty of people who would consider my Well Tempered Amadeus TT to be excessive ( and ugly). I would of course disagree.............apart from the it being ugly.

Edited by Clunky

Apart from the VPI and SME players I think these look pretty hideous. What's the betting that all that over engineering doesn't repay dividends to the listener. Mind you I'm sure there are plenty of people who would consider my Well Tempered Amadeus TT to be excessive ( and ugly). I would of course disagree.............apart from the it being ugly.

Yes, I agree (with the looking hideous part). I definitely can't see anything "art" in them, to me most of the players above look like über kitsch.

I wonder how expensive the turntables get to be before not even the golden ears can hear a difference.

I think I mentioned this before. Some years ago I was at a high-end audio shop. The salesman gave me an A/B test. I could hear a difference, but it was not obvious to me which one was superior.

I wonder how expensive the turntables get to be before not even the golden ears can hear a difference.

I think I mentioned this before. Some years ago I was at a high-end audio shop. The salesman gave me an A/B test. I could hear a difference, but it was not obvious to me which one was superior.

I've rarely noted any clear audio upgrades in a hifi shop. Mostly if I've been upgrading, I trial a piece of kit at home. Only then is it clear to me whether the 'upgrade' adds anything. Usually improvements are subtle but over time reveal their benefits as I listen more widely.

If I had to guess, I'd say at least $18,000 less than the least expensive on this list. Maybe more.

Although your question reads like "how heavy does a stage coach have to be before six unicorns can no longer pull it?"

Yes, I agree (with the looking hideous part). I definitely can't see anything "art" in them, to me most of the players above look like über kitsch.

other than the Goldmund's, they all look pretty cool to me. i'd be curious to know how many units were sold of each of these models, and where. in Dubai?

other than the Goldmund's, they all look pretty cool to me. i'd be curious to know how many units were sold of each of these models, and where. in Dubai?

They don't have to sell many units at those prices. :)

Edited by paul secor

• 3 weeks later...