Dropout Boogie

RogerF

In the course of reviewing a CD I noticed a distinct one second "dropout" which was disconcerting to hear as it disrupted the flow of the piece. I checked, playing it on other equipment and it was definitely a CD fault. Is this a common error, have others expwerienced this? Is "dropout" the correct technically term for this? Surprising in this digital recording age that a fault like this occurs. But at what stage, recording, mastering or burning?

I've come across this a number of times where their clearly is a problem with the CD (without it clearly appearing damaged). It's not common. Occasionally I've been able to rip these discs and burn a fault free copy.

Huh?

If the original source is flawed, how can it be corrected by making a copy of it?

I don't know, but I've gotten skippy factory-manufactured CDs, as well as ones that are nearly 80 minutes in length and stop playing after 75+minutes, and I can go burn a copy on the PC, pop it into the player, and voila, perfect playback start-to-finish. These same "faulty" CDs will often play perfectly in the PC as well.

This is neither common nor uncommon in terms of how often it occurs, but I'd say I've done it maybe five times in the last two years. No pattern to any of it either. Just a few days ago I had a CD with a 79:28 playing time, and it went straight through with no problems at all.

If I was a guessing man, I'd start with looking at the laser and/or the laser transport as the potential variable,and then look at the discs. Although,there my be a connection to the disc itself if data is for whatever reason burned to a disc in a less that consistent fashion. One laser might be able to read it more "cleanly" than does another, and thereby sustain the play where another one fails.

All I know is that it happens, Happens with factory CDs as well as home burns from MP3s. In the latter case, the tendency is to blame the blanks, but...I don't know. No matter what it is, it's obviously a process than cannot be replicated with a 100% success rate.

Bizarre.

I have a CD where the reflective surface has thinned in a certain spot which made it skip and/or stop playing right at a certain point in one tune. I played it a ton in my car, but have no idea if that contributed to the problem.

I wonder if I rip it with my iMac if I'll get a clean read.

Very interesting. I think I'll give it try.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Pretty sure(-ish) that if you have an actual "hole" in the outer coating, one where you can see light coming through it, then you're SOL. Otherwise, the data is still there, and then it gets all touchy-feely between software and hardware, and eeeewwwww, yuck. I don't want Dr, Phil all up inside my technology.

This fault can sometimes be ameliorated by burning onto a pc, but if the fault is, as Scott said, with the original burning then this won't work. I ripped it after first finding the fault and played it on the pc and it was still there. I am marginally relieved that this may fault may not translate to the entire batch of CDs pressed (at least I hope so).

Interestingly enough, the new Dave Stryker disc I have been sent to review, "Messin' with Mr. T" (terrific disc BTW) has a defect in the entire first pressing (confirmed by his manager) where the last track, "Let it Go" will not rip or play without errors--digital clicking, in the last minute. I bought a digital copy of the last track which has no issues, and am waiting on a copy of the corrected pressing. Stryker is not happy about whatever fault caused the entire run of the first pressing to be naff. The disc ironically plays fine in the PS3 (which plays through everything!) as does the 2000 Impulse! reissue of "Ascension" which will not rip without error at the end of Edition II, and disc 7 of my copy of Joe Hen's "Milestone Years" which will not rip without error on "Power to the People". I think the "Ascension" disc violates red book standard some how, but I have plenty more 79+ minute discs that rip/play without error.

I once had a CD that literally had multiple teeth marks in it from where my late German Shepherd had gotten hold of the package as it came through the mail slot (she always felt strongly that one of her primary duties was to protect us from the unspeakable danger posed by incoming mail). It wouldn't even play, but I was able to rip it using EAC and burn a CD-R that played fine. It took several hours to rip, however, and EAC's error correction indicator was maxed out for most of that time.

The next time something similar happened, I wasn't as lucky. Had a package punctured by a sharp object in transit, shattering the jewel case inside and leaving a visible dent in the CD-R within the jewel case. The track that was affected by the dent would play, but started skipping and locked up as soon as it got to the damaged section. Tried ripping it with EAC, but unfortunately lightning didn't strike twice.

I once had a CD that literally had multiple teeth marks in it from where my late German Shepherd had gotten hold of the package as it came through the mail slot (she always felt strongly that one of her primary duties was to protect us from the unspeakable danger posed by incoming mail). It wouldn't even play, but I was able to rip it using EAC and burn a CD-R that played fine. It took several hours to rip, however, and EAC's error correction indicator was maxed out for most of that time.

The next time something similar happened, I wasn't as lucky. Had a package punctured by a sharp object in transit, shattering the jewel case inside and leaving a visible dent in the CD-R within the jewel case. The track that was affected by the dent would play, but started skipping and locked up as soon as it got to the damaged section. Tried ripping it with EAC, but unfortunately lightning didn't strike twice.

Oh wow, that's crazy. EAC would not work it's magic on the Joe Henderson track, nor "Ascension", despite both discs being mint. I actually edited out the skippy parts in the Henderson, so it sounds like if you didn't know the original recording, it sounds like a splice.