Marcus Belgrave, R.I.P (1936-2015)

Mark Stryker

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up my first Belgrave-led session, Gemini, last week and have listened to it a few times already (the last time being last night). It's cool to hear him on discs by fellow Detroiters Geri Allen and Robert Hurst III. Besides a younger generation of nationally known Detroit musicians giving credit where credit was due, it exposed Belgrave's playing to a wider audience, which he deserved (and deserves). I'm sad to admit that I only saw him perform live when I walked past the stage at last year's Detroit Jazz Fest while on the way to the restroom, but I'm looking forward to checking more of his recordings. Thank you for the music, Mr. Belgrave, and rest in peace.

Colin -- thanks for the nice words.

All: I've compiled a set of eight performance by Marcus from YouTube that range from his first solos on record with Ray Charles in 1958-59 to a 2012 concert video at Orchestra Hall in Detroit. I should also note Marcus' two best recordings under his own name were made for his own label in the 1990s and while they were not widely distributed, you can find them with a little searching: "Marcus Belgrave with Detroit's Jazz Piano Legacy, Vol. 1" and "Working Together." I can't recommend these highly enough, especially the former, which includes performances with the Tommy Flanagan Trio and other tracks with Geri Allen and Gary Schunk (a terrific pianist and local hero not many know about outside of Michigan).

http://www.freep.com/…/marcus-belgrave-recordings…/27885363/

This afternoon I was sitting at our dining room table searching for crap on my laptop when I looked up and out the slider. The view was our deck and I flashed back a few years and saw Marcus sitting under the umbrella sipping on a beverage. Nice warm feeling.

He used to be around here regularly working with the Blue Lake camp.

I can only echo what everyone else has said.

'Gemini' is pretty wonderful. Had it on LP in the 70's, and recently picked up the CD reissue. Very of it's time, but a wonderful time to be of, a superior example of the early 70's vibe on Tribe records. Highly recommended.

Such sad news. The last time I saw him last summer at the jazz fest in Detroit his breathing problems had clearly gotten much worse, but he still played well and was the soul of joy in person, as usual. I said to him "you just keep on keepin' on Marcus" to which he replied, gesturing to the oxygen tanks he was pulling around on a little cart, "yeah, but now I'm rollin' on". He played a very moving part in the closing number of the festival's civil rights tribute, roaring beautifully through "Let it Shine".

It's really hard to overstate how much Marcus WAS jazz in Detroit for several years. Of course, many many people have been involved in keeping the jazz scene going in Detroit, but almost always Marcus was involved in some way in whatever was happening. My earliest memories of Marcus are as a teen in Detroit, in the days of Tribe and Strata, Seeing him looking all hip in beard, sunglasses, and 3 piece pinstripe playing into the late nights at the semi-sketchy and wonderful Cobb's Corner bar on Cass. An excellent hangout in the days of 18 year old drinking and very lax ID checking, where I spent a lot of time getting my primary education in live improvised music, and not just the stuff on my dad's records.

Marcus was the one there who was always willing to talk to some young fans, and engage them with some fun stories and insights. But my playing friends who were taught/mentored, or even just observed, by him knew first hand that he didn't mess around. The music was serious and you had to get it right. My mother worked with him during her time on the local arts council, while Marcus was always seeking funding for his various projects. Later on my dad bonded with him over drinks discussing dad's friendship with Thad Jones, and Marcus' deep love of Thad's music.

Thank you Mark for the wonderful, insightful and sweet, piece on Marcus' passing. And for that great list of videos as well. Damn, he will be missed.

Bye Marcus...

Edited by Al in NYC

Very sad news, always enjoyed his playing immensely, although, strangely, I never really managed to relate to the Gemini LP, so I passed it on to someone who really wanted it. But everything else I heard thrilled me. Much like Johnny Coles, he was a trumpet player at home in many styles from R & B to avant garde.

R.I.P., and many thanks for your inspired, free-spirited music making.

Edited by mikeweil