Darius Milhaud recommendations

Д.Д.

I studied composition in college with a guy who studied with Milhaud.

He said that even though DM was in constant pain from his illness, he was always in a cheerful mood, and cracking jokes.

He said that Milhaud's method of composition was completely contrary to the classical method of composition.

Instead of conceiving the composition as a whole, and then orchestrating it, DM used to start writing it on score paper and writing the flute part first entirely through, then the oboe, then the clarinet, then the bassoon, etc... through the entire orchestra!

As a result some of his scores sound kind of sloppy, but some of them are ecstatically funny, like the latin influenced "Le boeuf sur le toit" (OSLT?), which is hilarious!

I like many of the French composers of the 20th century, who ignored the 'abomination' of Schoenberg, and wrote music that lifted the human spirit, instead of slavishly adopting the 'ball and chain' of the twelve-toners.

Edited by sgcim

I've enjoyed this since the 90s:

CDH55168__75061_std.jpg

This one is 'historic' but sound is OK and the music very engaging. 2CDs, lots of music:

61C6oFmdydL._SS280.jpg

And this is lovely on another scale:

Athena+Ensemble_Musik+F%25fcr+Blasinstru

I think this was my earliest Milhaud disc - one problem with Milhaud is finding a Milhaud disc without either of the two 'greatest hits' below:

61fPERRoK5L._SS280.jpg

The 'hits' are marvellous, but how many versions does anyone need?

I'd say that's a medium sized box that is worthwhile; it might even include vocal texts, as their Messiaen set did?

Michael Korstick's piano concerto set on CPO is great, as is nearly evertyhing Korstick records, estimable Alun Francis cond.

Francis' symphony set on CPO is also worthy btw

unlike the Quatour Parisii's string 4-tet cycle, which is worthy and quite unavailable though hopefully will be reissued.

I'm a Schoenberg fanatic-- he's both underated and frequently misapprehended (thus seems overrated, more doctrinaire than he ever, in fact, was)-- but that's hardly to the exclusion of Villa-Lobos and Milhaud, who never played tennis with George Gershwin.

Edited by MomsMobley

Almost bought that Erato box last December, but I had too many other things in my cart. If you can hold off until the end of the year, Presto Classical has a huge box set sale when you can pick it up very cheap. But 25 dollars from amazon vendors is very reasonable as well. I'm not really a big enough Milhaud fan to want 10 CDs.

519Do%2Bexr9L._SX425_.jpg

I tend to avoid these "recommendations" threads, because everything an artist has done ends up being recommended. But I love Milhaud's EMI Composers in Person CD, mostly because of the the 1932 recording of "La Creation du Monde". It's the most revelatory reading of this masterpiece I've ever heard. I don't know who the clarinet player is, but his jazz feel is pretty amazing, for a French classical player of the time. It's not quite like Johnny Dodds is playing under Milhaud's baton, but it's least a little like Garvin Bushell is.

I second the recommendation of that EMI disc with Milhaud conducting - in fact any of his own recordings I have heard gives a genuine impression of the man and his music.

And I always enjoy this disc which has a rhythmically more on point reading of the Suite Provencal than Milhaud's own. He understood the essence of Brazilian and other folkloric rhythms much better than most classical composers.

515ZlBHqMOL.jpg

I second the recommendation of that EMI disc with Milhaud conducting - in fact any of his own recordings I have heard gives a genuine impression of the man and his music.

And I always enjoy this disc which has a rhythmically more on point reading of the Suite Provencal than Milhaud's own. He understood the essence of Brazilian and other folkloric rhythms much better than most classical composers.

515ZlBHqMOL.jpg

:tup !

Edited by soulpope

• 3 weeks later...

519Do%2Bexr9L._SX425_.jpg

I tend to avoid these "recommendations" threads, because everything an artist has done ends up being recommended. But I love Milhaud's EMI Composers in Person CD, mostly because of the the 1932 recording of "La Creation du Monde". It's the most revelatory reading of this masterpiece I've ever heard. I don't know who the clarinet player is, but his jazz feel is pretty amazing, for a French classical player of the time. It's not quite like Johnny Dodds is playing under Milhaud's baton, but it's least a little like Garvin Bushell is.

I'd say that's a medium sized box that is worthwhile; it might even include vocal texts, as their Messiaen set did?

Michael Korstick's piano concerto set on CPO is great, as is nearly evertyhing Korstick records, estimable Alun Francis cond.

Francis' symphony set on CPO is also worthy btw

unlike the Quatour Parisii's string 4-tet cycle, which is worthy and quite unavailable though hopefully will be reissued.

I'm a Schoenberg fanatic-- he's both underated and frequently misapprehended (thus seems overrated, more doctrinaire than he ever, in fact, was)-- but that's hardly to the exclusion of Villa-Lobos and Milhaud, who never played tennis with George Gershwin.

Got the Korstick concerto set. Still making my way through, but those early works are CRAZY.

• 2 months later...