Aggressive Big Band Recs

Scott Dolan

So Big Band was a sub genre that I dabbled in many moons ago when I first got into Jazz. And although I really enjoyed it, my listening habits were quickly sidetracked once I discovered the masterful smaller groups led by Miles, Monk, Diz & Bird, etc. Then I blasted off into the stratosphere via Coltrane, Ornette, Ayler, Dolphy, all th usual suspects.

Suddenly like a craving for McDonalds fries after so many years of not having them, I hav a desire to revisit Big Band.

But, here's the thing. I've always preferred the more aggressive stuff. It still swings, mind you, but I love when you've got an entire band blowing so hard that they sound like they are coming out of their shoes. I'll give three examples of what I'm talking about in hopes that you cats can steer me in the right direction.

1. Diminuendo And Crescendo In Blue (the Newport version, naturally) - Duke

2. Things To Come (pretty much any version) - Diz

3. Calling Out The Indians - Marsalis (though the closing moments of God Don't Like Ugly is another good example)

It doesn't have to be a break neck pace, or anything. I just love hearing large ensembles blowing the roof off the joint.

Any suggestions?

My Big Band catalog is almost nonexistent, so don't be afraid to mention anything you might feel is too obvious.

Thanks!

Not fast and not all at once, but by the time Roy Eldridge makes his point at the end, it's there. Not really "aggressive", just fat and sassy, which is its own form of aggression towards those who would have it otherwise.

Or you can start there and keep going up. By the time this thing is over, I'm surprised the cymbal stands are still...standing.

People will tell you that Kenton doesn't swing, and usually, no he doesn't, and that was fully by choice. How aggressive was that?

Basie w/Lockjaw was the first live jazz I ever saw. Damned if I can remember one note, damned if I'll ever forget how it sounded.

You put Basie and Lockjaw together, hell, I'm there, even on stuff like James Bond songs and Beatles songs and what not, because Lockjaw would never not be ready to slit your throat and drink your blod while you wantched him do it. And you put a band like Basie's behind him, one of those "swing machines", hell, you're given a amn a fucking uzi when all he really needs is a blade, but if you insist...that kind of a thing, ya' know?

There's a lot of this music, Scott, a whole helluva lot of it. Don't know if I'd call all of it "aggressive" per se, but a lot of getting a bunch of people together to move some air and make a noise to make a point, yeah. Not so much aggressive (although lord knows, that happens a lot) but...assertive, for sure. And don't be put off by "Swing Era" names, some updated their sound more than others, but the guys from that time who were truly in it to swing it generally kept swinging it for as long as they could keep going, as best as they knew how.

Buying this stuff can be a mine field that leaves you stepping on all sorts of ill-advised nostalgics and/or "updates", but the upside is some of the most visceral music of the 20th century, not as much in "intensity", just...anytime a group of people come together in common purpose and work as a group, the ceiling gets higher. It's kinda like in Gospel, a great soloist can take you some places, but a quartet can take you to some other places, and a choir can take you some whole other places that only they can go to. Sections working together with and against each other, the whole push-pull-cometogether tthing.

Of course, the more moving parts, the trickier it gets, and at some point, instrumentation risks monochroamticism, colorwise, but...risk/reward, totally worth it.

And check out Oliver with Louis Bellson and James Brown:

That's a helluva lot better record than it had any business being, for real. Like a buddy of mine once said, brown doesn't really know exactly what to do, but he sure as hell know where to do it. :g

I think that by the time it's over, this is, by any definition, aggressive as hell:

Aggressive, roaring, lunatic, and totally beautiful. And unmistakeably big band. If it doesn't get there right away, be patient, they've got time, and they use it.

Free jazz pranksters in a Nehru Big Band. What a concept.

The forthcoming Tony Kadleck, and Michael Gibbs with the NDR Big Band discs are pretty aggressive it seems to me.

on the other hand, "Diminuendo And Crescendo In Blue" isn't, to me ... I guess this thread will end a list of each and any good big band as everyone has his own definition of "aggressive" (though I'd be astonished to find Thornhill and Gil Evans on the list ... but then later Gil, with synths, electric guitars and hard-hitting tenors and trumpets would again fit the bill rather well).

No mention of the Clarke-Boland Big Band yet. Or Tubby Hayes Big Band?

61RjCBjbF5L.jpg

pretty good one!

as fo CBBB, not sure if they have any album that's "aggressive", I'd not rate them as an "aggressive" big band (though powerful they were, no doubt ... we might end up debating semantics ...) as a whole ...

and what about Thad Jones/Mel Lewis?

IMHO the absolute peak of aggressive (but still under tight control) big band jazz. This particular Rich band had a special name: Killer Force. In fact, the musicians would huddle just before hitting the stage, raise arms in the air and yell in unison - "KILL." They did, though of course, not to everyone's taste. I liked it myself, a lot.

5183EDGtH0L._SX425_.jpg

Edited by John Tapscott

6151G-qwXQL._SS280.jpg

Not exactly aggressive but definitely fiery. Probably not what you are looking for as this is free improv in an arranged setting. But as many people will tell you here, the LJCO are as exciting as it comes if your ears are that way inclined.

Again, not aggressive but definitely high spirited:

51Y64PjsnGL._SY300_.jpg61wLwbb261L._SY300_.jpg

Pin-sharp big band playing with lots of reggae, Latin and African elements stirred in (and a bit of folk music). Lots of self-deprecating humour too - these chaps were never ones to take themselves too seriously. If Monty Python had been in the Woody Herman band...

Those two are recently issued live recordings from the '80s. Their first two albums are long MIA which is a crying shame - I'd love click free CDs/downloads to replace my vinyl.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

as fo CBBB, not sure if they have any album that's "aggressive", I'd not rate them as an "aggressive" big band (though powerful they were, no doubt ... we might end up debating semantics ...) as a whole ...

This one would surely qualify, Ubu..

cbbbol.jpg

Edited by sidewinder