Aggressive Big Band Recs

Scott Dolan

Scott, I know what you mean, of course ... but I just don't like the cliché "aggressive" applied to music in general, when usually words like "high energy", "powerful" or even "joyous" would do just as well. There's stuff mentioned here where I might consider applying "aggressive" (the terrific James Brown/Louis Bellson/Oliver Nelson album, or some of Buddy Rich's late 60s/early 70s band) ... but when even the Brotherhood of Breath turns up when "aggressive" music is the topic (no offense, Joe!), I really scratch my mind in disbelief. Hardly will you ever hear such life-affirming music, so full of beauty and yeah, truth (and neither of those is just about the positive side of things, of course, or else it's just shallow) ... calling that "aggressive" just seems wrong to me.

Anyway, don't let me disturb, now please continue :)

Scott, I know what you mean, of course ... but I just don't like the cliché "aggressive" applied to music in general, when usually words like "high energy", "powerful" or even "joyous" would do just as well. There's stuff mentioned here where I might consider applying "aggressive" (the terrific James Brown/Louis Bellson/Oliver Nelson album, or some of Buddy Rich's late 60s/early 70s band) ... but when even the Brotherhood of Breath turns up when "aggressive" music is the topic (no offense, Joe!), I really scratch my mind in disbelief. Hardly will you ever hear such life-affirming music, so full of beauty and yeah, truth (and neither of those is just about the positive side of things, of course, or else it's just shallow) ... calling that "aggressive" just seems wrong to me.

I hear you. Different connotations for different folks. I'm just thinking purely in terms of power and urgency, which the BOB has in abundance. And I would agree that, while McGregor's compositions and charts emphasize / celebrate a certain positivity, the BoB's soloists are not constrained to any one (set of) emotions. Gary Windo, for example, does not favor the same kinds of expressions that Mongei Feza does.

That's cool. I was simply trying to come up with a term that described how it felt to me. I suppose that "aggressive" does carry a negative connotation, but I most certain didn't mean it in a negative way at all.

My intent was to describe the approach. Kind of like aggressively pursuing your goals. That kind of thing. in this case musicians squeezing every ounce of energy out of themselves and their music as possible. The results are simply exhilarating!

:)

Did you ever try Jimmie Lunceford, btw? And Basie's OT band in full flight, with Pres cutting through the entire band and floating on top of it? Might not be in-yo-face aggressive, but powerful it is - and often mind-boggling in many ways!

btw, of course I don't scratch my mind ... merely my head - still some hair left, and a skull, too, luckily :w

:)

Did you ever try Jimmie Lunceford, btw?

I have not.

I'm trying to dig through all of the excellent suggestions I've received so far.

I just noted that Angry Jim had been having fun with my admittedly ham-fisted description of what I was looking for, so I figured I'd chime in and try to amend.

Everything I've heard so far is very good.

I truly appreciate all the recs.

There's a lot to take in. I'm feeling like a Jazz noob...

And I'm not really minding it!

God, if I could only hear Coltrane and Dolphy at the Vanguard again for the first time...

IMHO the absolute peak of aggressive (but still under tight control) big band jazz. This particular Rich band had a special name: Killer Force. In fact, the musicians would huddle just before hitting the stage, raise arms in the air and yell in unison - "KILL." They did, though of course, not to everyone's taste. I liked it myself, a lot.

5183EDGtH0L._SX425_.jpg

Yeah, you can start off any kind of "aggressive" list with Buddy Rich and not be too far off the mark. :g

Then again, Buddy could be aggressive with brushes. Can't say that about everybody!

Pierre Dorge & New Jungle Orchestra - Giraf , fantastic album w/ great compositions, players, and a wonderful sense of humor.

China Jungle, and Danish Jungle are great as well.

Vienna Art Orchestra- Notion In Perpetual Motion on hatOLOGY. Of the three CDs I have, this one has the best material. And as usual, Hat Hut recordings are phenomenal.

Duke Ellington-The Great Paris Concert 2 CD set on Collectables label

John Hollenbeck-Eternal Interlude

Joe Henderson Big Band on Verve, Great recording of Joe's excellent compositions.

Frank Zappa - Make A Jazz Noise Here, 12 piece band recorded on '88 tour w/ five man horn section.

Ed Palermo Big Band - Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance, Ed's band is phenomenal, and he wrote

some great arrangements for these Zappa compositions.

McCoy Tyner - 13th House, big band album from his Milestone years.

Michel Camilo - One More Once , High energy Latin big band playing Camilio's best known compositions.

Lots of catchy melodies, and the band is killing.

Muhal Richard Abrams - The Hearinga Suite, Colorful, exhilarating big band charts.

Edited by starthrower

Tubby Hayes Big Band at Ronnie Scott's in 1970 playing one of their most "aggressive" pieces from the album 200% Proof...

"The Inner Splurge"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knybg2tJXI8

[You need to watch from 2.40 in]

That is an absolutely fantastic clip - what a shame that a full Beeb archive version in quality video and sound isn't available. I guess we are fortunate that it survived in any form though..

Talking of Ronnies and Big Bands - I was in the audience around 1980-ish during a performance of 30 minutes by either Woody Herman or Buddy Rich (pretty sure it was Herman but it was a long time ago) just before the main sets, introduced by RS, which was broadcast live on BBC2. To the best of my knowledge, it has never, ever been repeated.

John Surman/John Warren 'Tales of the Algonquin'?

Edited by sidewinder