Xanadu Master Edition Series - Elemental Music

dougcrates

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Other than Heavy Love, which is a stone classic imo, heavy love, so much soul, all that and then some, I know both of the Heaths & the Harris, and find all worthy of consideration. None are truly "essential" imo, except maybe the Harris, and then because of the mix of player and repertoire, if you want to go there with that, you can do it here.

And frankly, the Jimmy Heath is a little "retro" after things like The Gap Sealer, but...that will please many, no doubt.

The Dakar thing I've heard good things about, I think it's worth decent money to hear Billy Mitchell side by side with Al Cohn, just to see how much fun worlds pleasurably colliding can be. .

Sam Most has yet to really hit my spot, but you can find plenty of others for whom the opposite is true.

Still confused as to what is being reissued here...entire albums, "highlights" what, exactly? I see the number 23 but only see six album covers?

Other than Heavy Love, which is a stone classic imo, heavy love, so much soul, all that and then some

I agree. Heavy Love is fan-stinkin'-tastic.

Other than that LP, my favorite Xanadu LPs are probably:

- Al Cohn: Play It Now

- Sonny Criss: Saturday Morning

Coincidentally, a few days ago I ordered Charles McPherson's Free Bop! Haven't even got it yet. But I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Still confused as to what is being reissued here...entire albums, "highlights" what, exactly? I see the number 23 but only see six album covers?

Complete albums. I think the six CDs shown are the first "batch" -- with more to come.

But none of that is made very clear, is it?!?

Edited by HutchFan

Coincidentally, a few days ago I ordered Charles McPherson's Free Bop! Haven't even got it yet. But I'm looking forward to hearing it.

I've been casually picking up McPherson on Xanadu the last few years, and it was a strong, strong run. Much more strong than his earlier things on Prestige. I get the whole "ghosts" things that him and Lonnie Hilyer got when they came on the scene, but McPherson stayed on point (jargon burrrrp) and got really strong. I suppose that's a big DUH for people who came to him fully formed, but other than the epic solo on "The Chill Of Death", I don't know that anything he did early-ish on was really..."griping" for me. The Xanadu stuff, otoh, still bebop, but like somebody said in another thread, the guy's a thinker, and a thinker eventually/hopefully reaches some well-founded conclusions. That's McPherson's Xanadu records, well-founded conclusions.

These look very good! I've got the older Prevue reissue of "Picture of Heath", and regardless of it being "conservative" or whatever, I think it's my favourite Heath album, all things considered.

Have no clue what the Most will be like, but the other four are already on my shopping list :tup

I wonder though, why (or how) the 25 got to be 23 ... did they intend to release two Ornette discs? :P

Xanadu generally had some very iffy pressings. I gave up on Xanadu at some point for that reason. EPM and Classic did some CD reissues, so I did pick up some of those - Bud, Jimmy Raney, Rowles/Cohn, Tal Farlow, etc. They probably won't get to them, but I'd like to hear some of the gold label reissues: Bill Harris Memorial, Pee Wee Russell: Somewhere Over the Rainbow - both of those might be reissues and could have been reissued elsewhere. Jimmy Raney/Sonny Clark, and the Bebop Revisited series.

Some of Don Schlitten's taste didn't coincide with mine, but I'm hoping they'll dig into the catalog beyond some of the bigger names.

Listing of Xanadu LPs (no idea how complete it is, but it brought back some memories): http://www.jazzlists.com/SJ_Label_Xanadu.htm

very surprised to see these; from having talked to Schlitten a few years ago; he sold a limited license some time ago to EPM, and they violated the contract and then he swore he would never license it again.

the one I would like to see is the Moody. And the live Barry Harris and Jimmy Raney.

Edited by AllenLowe

would love to see these being reissued with decent remastering :

Entrance!, Sam Noto, 1975, Xanadu 103

Saturday Morning, Sonny Criss, 1975, Xanadu 105

Play It Now, Al Cohn, 1975, Xanadu 110

Cello Again, Sam Jones, 1976, Xanadu 129

Live In Tokyo, Barry Harris, 1976, Xanadu 130

Inimitable Teddy Edwards, The, Teddy Edwards, 1976, Xanadu 134

Dolo!, Dolo Coker, 1976, Xanadu 139

New Horizons, Charles McPherson, 1977, Xanadu 149

Live In Tokyo, Charles McPherson, 1976, Xanadu 131

Beautiful!, Charles McPherson, 1975, Xanadu 11

have this on vinyl, most pressings are substandard .....

I've stopped buying Xanadu vinyl because pressings can a little iffy as noted above. Generally the music rises above the occasional pop and crackle. They certainly aren't the worst pressings and generally are pretty cheap. I'd say if you are interested in the music and the price is right they are entertaining and generally worth it.

I can vouch for the two Heath-family related titles and the Barry Harris. Jim is right that the Jimmy Heath was retro compared to the Muse's, but the period he did those stands as a (wonderful) anomaly in his body of work, and this date is stronger than anything I heard him do since. Probably my favorite Barry Harris because of the Dameron repertoire. I already own the Jimmy Heath on an older CD, but only owned the other two on vinyl, so will look to pick them up on these CD's. Surprised to see Kwanza in this series, as the original album was on Muse, so have renewed hopes for Jimmy Heath's Muse titles to make it to legit CD in my lifetime.

Nice to have any Xanadus back in legitimate issue. I'm with the group that thinks highly of Heavy Love. I've got four of the other five and about eighty Xanadus in total. I could easily pick ten that I'd preferred to see reissued, but, happy to have any.

102 Powell, Bud Bud In Paris

104 Chambers, Paul/Hampton Hawes East/West Controversy, The

108 Pepper, Art Early Show, The

117 Pepper, Art Late Show, The

126 Monterose, J.R. Straight Ahead

136 Cohn, Al & Dexter Gordon True Blue

142 Coker, Dolo California Hard

146 Gray, Wardell Live In Hollywood

161 Hawes, Hampton Memorial Album

209 Raney, Jimmy & Sonny Clark Together

Oh, and International Jam Sessions and Bebop Revisited.

Edited by BeBop

I was fortunate to find a number of Xanadu CD reissues on EPM, Prevue and a Japanese label. There are many many more I am hoping will be now reissued by Elemental.

As I am currently in Italy on vacation I am not able to list the ones I already have on CD or the many I am hoping to see reissued.

The Joe Farrell date, "Skate Board Park" is a good one that could use another CD release - I was never able to pick it up on any medium other than a beat up LP. All Xanadu LPs seem to play like they were beat up, even if they show up sealed. :)

The two Billy Mitchell dates, "The Colossus Of Detroit" and "De Lawd's Blues" are well worth hearing as well, with only "De Lawd's Blues" ever making it to CD (that I know of) and that was only via an expensive limited edition from Japan.

Love all the Cohns on Xanadu — particularly America. I think Cohn did his best, most unleashed, playing for the label. I could never really get into the Dakar date for some reason; probably need to listen again. The Sam Noto sessions (there are four that I know of) are all uniformly solid hardbop sessions too.

The two Bob Mover dates on Xanadu are very, very good.

Good to see the label getting attention.

Nice to have any Xanadus back in legitimate issue. I'm with the group that thinks highly of Heavy Love. I've got four of the other five and about eighty Xanadus in total. I could easily pick ten that I'd preferred to see reissued, but, happy to have any.

102 Powell, Bud Bud In Paris

104 Chambers, Paul/Hampton Hawes East/West Controversy, The

108 Pepper, Art Early Show, The

117 Pepper, Art Late Show, The

126 Monterose, J.R. Straight Ahead

136 Cohn, Al & Dexter Gordon True Blue

142 Coker, Dolo California Hard

146 Gray, Wardell Live In Hollywood

161 Hawes, Hampton Memorial Album

209 Raney, Jimmy & Sonny Clark Together

Oh, and International Jam Sessions and Bebop Revisited.

Of the ones you mentioned, I recommend the Powell, Coker, True Blue and The Late Show. I noticed that Amazon has Be Bop revisited in stock.