dougcrates

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Why didn't they combine "True Blue" and "Silver Blue" onto 1 CD? It would've been less than 79 minutes (78:30 by my calculation) and as we have been noting in another thread, there are 81+ minute CDs being issued these days.

71JELTCmc1L._SL1050_.jpg

79:30, and if the times from the old analogue back covers are a little off, it might exceed 80 minutes, which is "Danger, Will Robinson" territory.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the next batch of Xanadu reissues is due to come out April 22nd:

Frank Butler - The Stepper

Sonny Criss - Saturday Morning

Bob Berg - New Birth

I'll definitely be getting Saturday Morning. It's one of Criss' very best, imho. I have the download from emusic, but I'm looking forward to hearing it in higher fidelity.

Not so sure about the others.

EDIT: 
I just noticed that Charles McPherson's Beautiful! is also now available -- as an import. Doesn't seem to have been released here in the USA yet. I guess there are different release schedules for different markets. 

EDIT 2:
Kenny Drew's Home Is Where the Soul Is is available too. This CD and the McPherson disc were released in the UK market in January. 

Edited by HutchFan

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I'll definitely be getting Saturday Morning. It's one of Criss' very best, imho. I have the download from emusic, but I'm looking forward to hearing it in higher fidelity.

Same here! Been waiting for an affordable CD edition of that album for a long time!

On March 5, 2016 at 5:58 PM, HutchFan said:

Looks like the next batch of Xanadu reissues is due to come out April 22nd:

Frank Butler - The Stepper

Sonny Criss - Saturday Morning

Bob Berg - New Birth

Not so sure about the others.

EDIT: 
I just noticed that Charles McPherson's Beautiful! is also now available -- as an import. Doesn't seem to have been released here in the USA yet. I guess there are different release schedules for different markets. 

EDIT 2:
Kenny Drew's Home Is Where the Soul Is is available too. This CD and the McPherson disc were released in the UK market in January. 

Actually the Charles McPherson - "But Beautiful" session with Duke Jordan, Sam Jones and Leroy Williams was released on CD here in the USA in about 1995. I have a copy.

Also have the Kenny Drew Trio - "Home Is Where The Soul Is" on a Japanese CD.

Sonny Criss - "Saturday Morning" was issued  on CD long ago in France.

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

Actually the Charles McPherson - "But Beautiful" session with Duke Jordan, Sam Jones and Leroy Williams was released on CD here in the USA in about 1995. I have a copy.

Also have the Kenny Drew Trio - "Home Is Where The Soul Is" on a Japanese CD.

Sonny Criss - "Saturday Morning" was issued  on CD long ago in France.

Yep, I know that these and several other Xanadu records have been reissued on CD earlier. In this case, I was just talking about the timelines for Elemental's "Xanadu Master Edition" series. ;) 

On 1/31/2016 at 5:18 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Why didn't they combine "True Blue" and "Silver Blue" onto 1 CD? It would've been less than 79 minutes (78:30 by my calculation) and as we have been noting in another thread, there are 81+ minute CDs being issued these days.

71JELTCmc1L._SL1050_.jpg

Well, if you mean Fresh Sound, "they" did reissue it on one CD,  with a quoted playing time of 79:55...

On 3/16/2016 at 6:58 AM, Olie Brice said:

Curious about the Frank Butler - anyone know it?

I have Wheelin' & Dealin', Butler's second Xanadu LP.  It's pretty good, but I've never been bowled over by it.  (I had high hopes for it too. The band features Teddy Edwards and Joe Farrell.)

I haven't heard the LP that Elemental is reissuing, The Stepper. 

• 4 months later...

I have the Sam Jones CD, and had the LP when it was first released quite a number of years ago.

With favorites such as Barry Harris, Blue Mitchell , Louis Hayes,and the leader Sam Jones, this one is a definite winner in my book.

Just played it again yesterday afternoon.

Edited by Peter Friedman
correction

3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I have the Sam Jones CD, and had the LP when it was first released quite a number of years ago.

With favorites such as Barry Harris, Blue Mitchell , Louis Hayes,and the leader Sam Jones, this one is a definite winner in my book.

Just played it again yesterday afternoon.

Thanks Peter. I will look into acquiring the Elemental reissue since I have no sessions by Sam Jones as a leader in my collection.  

2 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Thanks Peter. I will look into acquiring the Elemental reissue since I have no sessions by Sam Jones as a leader in my collection.  

John,

Just in case you find yourself wanting to explore more of Sam Jones' discography. . . . another one of his records that I could easily recommend is Something in Common.  This was originally released on Muse and then reissued on 32 Jazz with a few bonus tracks.

41W018ZCY6L.jpg

The lineup is the same as Changes and Things -- except Cedar Walton is the pianist rather than Barry Harris.

Strong music. :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

• 2 months later...

I have some stock on the vinyl. All sealed. Lost is about 80% accurate. PM me if interested

101 David Allyn - Dont Look Back . with Barry Harris
103 Sam Noto - Entrance. with Barry harris
112 Harlem Odyssey. Billie Holiday, Jack Teagarden and Art Tatum
118 Jimmy Heath - Picture of Heath. with barry harris
120 Bebop revisited Vol. 1 with Dextor Gordon and Fats Navarro
124 Bebop Revisited Vol .2 with Dizzy and JJ Johnson
127 Sam Noto - Act One with Barry Harris and Joe Roamno
128 Mickey Tucker - Triplicity with Jimmy Ponder and Gene Purla
132 Jimmy Raney - Live in Tokyo, with Sam Jones and leroy Williams
138 Al Cohn's America - with Barry harris and Sam Jones
143 Mickey Tucker - Sojourn . with Ronnie Cuber and Bill Hardman
144 Sam Noto - Notes to You
152 Frank Butler - The Stepper . with Dolo Coker and Jack Montrose
159 Bob Berg - New Birth . with cedar Walton and Tom harell
162 Montreux One - Sam Noto and Ronnie Cuber
164 Montreux Three - Sam Most and Ted Dunbar
165 Montreux Four - Dolo Coker & Barry barris
167 Kenny Drew - For Sure! - with Charles McPherson and Sam Noto
168 Sam Noto- Noto Riety
169 Frank Butler - Wheelin and Dealin
172 Bebop Revisited Vol. 3 with Tony Fruscela and Sam Most
175 Earl Coleman - Theres Something About an Old Love
177 Barry Harris - Tokyo 1976 with Jimmy Raney
178 Dolo Coker - All Alone
179 Al Cohn - No problem with barry harris
181 Ted Dunbar - Secdundum Artem
182 Billy Mitchell - De Lawds Blues
184 Peter Sprague - Bird Raga
186 Roy Eldridge at Jerry Newmans
187 Bob Mover - In The True Tradition with Rufus Reid
188 Kenny Barron at the Piano
189 Coleman Hawkins - Dutch Treat with Freddie Johnson
190 George Auld - Homage with Lou Levy and Mel Lewis
192 Pee Wee Russell - Over The Rainbow . with Nat Pierce
194 Bob Mover - Things Unseen
196 Ted Dunbar - Jazz Guitarist
197 Bebop Revisited Vol. 4 James Moody and bennie Green
199 Red Norvo - Time in His Hands with Slam Stewart
200 The Sonny Criss Memorial Album
201 Anniversary - Barry harris, Jimmy Raney and kenny barron
202 Thelonious Monk Live at The Village gate
203 Earl Hines - Varieties. Etta Jones and Helen Merrill
204 Lucky Thompson - Brown Rose
205 Bebop Revisited Volume 5 with Kenny Dorham and Conte Candoli
206 Al Haig- Live In Hollywood. Chet Baker and Sonny Criss
213 Barry Harris- The Bird of red and Gold

Think I'll be getting a few of these reissues, the In Tokyo series looks solid (took a listen on YT to a track each from the Harris and McPherson and they were smoking).  The Joe Farrell looks great, and have some interest in the Ronnie Cuber, Sam Jones, Frank Butler titles.Though I can imagine probably a few of the releases probably go a long way as its another keeper of the flame type label a la Concord, Pablo, and as people said this stuff has been done better elsewhere but as long as it's cooking.  I appreciate what Zev Feldman does and the packages look appealing.  Definitely will get the Teddy Edwards

Edited by CJ Shearn

12 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

Think I'll be getting a few of these reissues, the In Tokyo series looks solid (took a listen on YT to a track each from the Harris and McPherson and they were smoking).  The Joe Farrell looks great, and have some interest in the Ronnie Cuber, Sam Jones, Frank Butler titles.Though I can imagine probably a few of the releases probably go a long way as its another keeper of the flame type label a la Concord, Pablo, and as people said this stuff has been done better elsewhere but as long as it's cooking.  I appreciate what Zev Feldman does and the packages look appealing.  Definitely will get the Teddy Edwards

I think I will stock up too - and the Tokyo ones look like a good place to start. The 'Night Flight To Dakar' 2CD was very  enjoyable - I remember this one coming out on vinyl and passing on it. With this lot coming out and Mosaic doing the Beehive box set all we need to get back into the swing of it are multicoloured platform shoes, checked flares, gold chain bling and aviator shades !  :)

Yeah shame it stopped at 25, listening to "Night Flight to Dakar" on disc 1 of the 2fer with "Xanadu in Africa", like it a lot.  Frank Butler's solo on "Sweet Senegalese Brown" is great.  The Xanadu at Montreux titles look good too, but I wonder if those tapes suffered irreversible damage? Zev told me the 4 live albums that were reissued in the series were made from restored damage masters.