Xanadu Master Edition Series - Elemental Music

dougcrates

I remember Xanadu LPs best for reissue of MintonĀ“s stuff, like the trumpet battles with Joe Guy, Hot Lips Page, Roy Eldrige etc...., with early Monk, Charlie Christian, Klook etc., and some "Bebop Revisited" with Diz from 45, some early Dexter, the sides that Fats Navarro made with Earl Coleman and so on......

During my Teenager years it was a quite good possibility to get in touch with the sounds of early bop......

Exactly. Same experience here. And then there were both the similarly-produced ONYX LPs on early 40s swing and the 50s live recordings (Bob Andrews! The Jerry Newman of the 50s!!) on Xanadu that added importantly to the discographies of the key artists and leaders.

Compared to that - sorry to say - those latter-day recordings (70s onwards) on Xanadu always appeared a bit like fillers to me. They may have been (and are) nice to ALSO have, but the essentials dated farther back and were milestones in the appreciation of the music from the bebop era by a wider audience who had not been around when the 78s were current and accessible.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember Xanadu LPs best for reissue of MintonĀ“s stuff, like the trumpet battles with Joe Guy, Hot Lips Page, Roy Eldrige etc...., with early Monk, Charlie Christian, Klook etc., and some "Bebop Revisited" with Diz from 45, some early Dexter, the sides that Fats Navarro made with Earl Coleman and so on......

During my Teenager years it was a quite good possibility to get in touch with the sounds of early bop......

Exactly. Same experience here. And then there were both the similarly-produced ONYX LPs on early 40s swing and the 50s live recordings (Bob Andrews! The Jerry Newman of the 50s!!) on Xanadu that added importantly to the discographies of the key artists and leaders.

Compared to that - sorry to say - those latter-day recordings (70s onwards) on Xanadu always appeared a bit like fillers to me. They may have been (and are) nice to ALSO have, but the essentials dated farther back and were milestones in the appreciation of the music from the bebop era by a wider audience who had not been around when the 78s were current and accessible.

I can relate to that of course ... but coming to jazz (and earth) some years later than you, Xanadu's historical releases never played a part in my listening at all - they weren't around at all, with very few exceptions (the one of which I ever bought - semi historical one rather -, after buying, I brought back to the store which luckily took it back, too: a Lucky Thompson release containing french recordings that were either on the two Vogue discs or on one of the jazz in Paris CDs).

Not sure how much music I'm missing out on or how much of it I have in other (CD) editions - however even if I miss out on some of it, with most artists concerned I was probably able to buy quite a bit more than you could, so I've not felt like missing out on too much really. (I may be wrong though, but please don't tell me ;).)

So the main focus, if I hear Xanadu, to me is their own productions, which again I've not really had access to on any larger scale. I scored "Picture of Heath", one of the Dolo Cokers, a Red Garland (bought from somone here, I think?), and that's already it, other than a few instances of "carpe diem" (some vinyl rips).

So, never having heard most of these Al Cohn dates, only having the wonderful Sonny Criss on a copy provided by some friend, not knowing the Teddy Edwards ones ... there's indeed plenty of attraction there, to me! Barry Harris, too ... would be nice for sure to see a second round of 25, but as they do them in smaller batches, I guess that might as well be it, and we won't get any of those Sam Noto albums back.

Did anyone else notice they missedĀ bonus tracks for the Africa / Dakar set? Ā Sweet and Lovely (10:32) and Not Just to be in Love Again (7:17) were included on an anthology called Anniversary.Ā 

I didn't but as that's the only one I've bought so far, that's really too bad!

Lousy job!

Did anyone else notice they missedĀ bonus tracks for the Africa / Dakar set? Ā Sweet and Lovely (10:32) and Not Just to be in Love Again (7:17) were included on an anthology called Anniversary.Ā 

Lousy job!

The second track is the rhythm section without horns.

Don Schlitten's musical taste is very similar to mine. So I tend to agree with Ubu that a large number of the original Xanadu releases were things I particularly liked. The Barry Harris, Jimmy Rowles, Al Cohn, Sam Noto, Teddy Edwards, Billy Mitchell, Ronnie Cuber, Sonny Criss, Jimmy Raney,Dolo Coker, Charles McPherson, and Ā Jimmy Heath sessions Ā were among the Xanadu LPs I bought when they first became available.

It has always been disappointing for me that Don was so reluctant to have his Xanadu material reissued on CD. Thankfully I have been able to find some of them on French, Japanese, and a few American labels such as Prevue. Would very much like to see many other now become available.

Lousy job!

How do you otherwise like the music? Ā Have the lp, buried away somewhere.

If any of the recordings were done by Richard Alderson (I think that's his name -- I've been trying to forget it) the piano will sound lousy.

Very much agreed. IMO, AldersonĀ spoiled a Ā bunch of otherwise excellentĀ Prestige albums. I've never understood why Schlitten employedĀ him so often.

Maybe his studio time came cheap. :D

I always liked Alderson's approach...Ā :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

If any of the recordings were done by Richard Alderson (I think that's his name -- I've been trying to forget it) the piano will sound lousy.

Very much agreed. IMO, AldersonĀ spoiled a Ā bunch of otherwise excellentĀ Prestige albums. I've never understood why Schlitten employedĀ him so often.

Bob Porter told me Don used Alderson because Rudy wouldn't let him smoke Mary Jane in his studio :D

MG

Teddy Edwards' 'Feelins' was originally issued on Muse. Of the two, I find it a LOT more lovable than 'The inimitable'. That's very good with a very nice chunk of unaccompanied Teddy introducing 'Stella by starlight', marred on my copy by a pressing bugger-up or something (so I've never ripped it and I'll pick that one up). But 'Feelin's just got me for ever. Be interested to know if the CD version is markedly better than a rip on modest/poor equipment :)

That is - is a CD rip better than/worse than/similar to a vinyl rip on standard laptop speakers?

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Was the Teddy Edwards ever issued before on CD?Ā  There was a session w/Duke Jordan that was part of another cd which included Jordan & Cecil Payne (Brooklyn brothers I think was lp release, this session is also going to be reissued)?

Is the Ronnie Cuber part of this group?

Ā 

Brooklyn Brothers and Cuber's Cuber Libre are both part of the 25 scheduled CD reissues, yes.Ā  More here:

Xanadu Master Edition series

Ā 

Bob Porter told me Don used Alderson because Rudy wouldn't let him smoke Mary Jane in his studio :D

Ā 

That explains a lot...perhaps Alderson had Mary Jane tune the piano, place the microphones and do the e.q. for him.

A musician friend told me that (in the Englewood Cliffs studio) RvG banned smoking anything.Ā  He remarked that Van Gelder wore white cotton gloves when touching any of the equipment...Ā  Apocryphal, orĀ Ā can anyone confirm that?

Looks like the next batch are coming out on October 30th:

Teddy Edwards - Feelin's

Kenny Barron - At the Piano

Joe Farrell - Skateboard Park

I've heard the Farrell discĀ -- it's very good --Ā but not the other two. Ā I'm particularly looking forward to hearing the Teddy Edwards.

Ā 

Nothing wrong with the Barron solo session. I've always liked it. Of course, he's my favorite pianist so maybe I'm biased.

Was the Teddy Edwards ever issued before on CD?Ā  There was a session w/Duke Jordan that was part of another cd which included Jordan & Cecil Payne (Brooklyn brothers I think was lp release, this session is also going to be reissued)?

Is the Ronnie Cuber part of this group?

Ā 

Brooklyn Brothers and Cuber's Cuber Libre are both part of the 25 scheduled CD reissues, yes.Ā  More here:

Xanadu Master Edition series

Ā 

Yes, thank you.

There was a Xanadu cd entitled Duke Jordan with Cecil Payne and Teddy Edwards, consisting of two previously released Muse albums (Brooklyn Brothers & Inimitable Teddy Edwards).Ā  But I am unaware of a stand alone Feelings ever appearing on cd previously (Japane, US or France); likewise Cuber Libre.Ā 

Ā 

That explains a lot...perhaps Alderson had Mary Jane tune the piano, place the microphones and do the e.q. for him.

A musician friend told me that (in the Englewood Cliffs studio) RvG banned smoking anything.Ā  He remarked that Van Gelder wore white cotton gloves when touching any of the equipment...Ā  Apocryphal, orĀ Ā can anyone confirm that?

From personal experience (in the late '70s) Rudy allowed smoking in the studio, but not in the control. I'm sure that changed later.

Rudy wore those brown jersey gloves when setting up and taking down mikes in the studio. I have a photo of him doing this.

Did anyone else notice they missedĀ bonus tracks for the Africa / Dakar set? Ā Sweet and Lovely (10:32) and Not Just to be in Love Again (7:17) were included on an anthology called Anniversary.

Similarly, "Kwanza" was issued on cd in Japan (Nippon Crown CRCJ 5015) as "Oops" on the Xanadu label in Japan in 1993 containing 2 additional tracks:Ā  "Sub Set" 10'11" and "Wazuri Blues" 4'37"

This is a tough one to find.Ā  Was it an LP for Xanadu itself?

Also, was "Silver Blue" ever issued as a CD (I see only an lp and 2-lp set)?

thanks

baker