Sonny Rollins complete live at the village gate 1962

uli

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the iceberg of which OUR MAN IN JAZZ was but merely the tip.

If you've not been fortunate enough to hear this stuff yet, looks like a convenient way to acquire it... OK, its a boot, but maybe artistry and historical significance trump piracy? Probably not.

The material is definitely worthy of a proper legitimate release. Does anyone have any idea why this material has never been fully released by RCA? Given the differences in public domain laws in various countries, one would think that RCA (or whomever owns the rights) would have released this material a while ago to stay ahead of unauthorized releases.

I imagine that RCA hasn't released anything because their deal with Sonny Rollins back in the early 60's was for six albums only, and Sonny would have to agree to a release.

It's probably too much to hope for that JLH might work a deal with RCA (or whatever they are these days) and Mr. Rollins for a legitimate release of this material. It would no doubt cost a small fortune to do that.

Does anyone have any idea why this material has never been fully released by RCA? Given the differences in public domain laws in various countries, one would think that RCA (or whomever owns the rights) would have released this material a while ago to stay ahead of unauthorized releases.

It all goes back to this, French RCA, 1981:

114881496.jpg114881496-3.jpg

Not sure how THAT got released, but it was the first - and last - vault-dipping into RCA's fairly expansive Rollins holdings (Coda once pulished a discography of all known unreleased sessions, and the list was pretty...mind-boggling).

Sonny heard about this, immediately put the kibosh on further sales of this item (a few got imported into the US, but not many), went lawyerball on RCA and the final deal was that the vaults would forever more be sealed, this little bit of leakage excepted.

I'm pretty sure that not everything that's still left in there is going to be worthy of release. But the stuff that came out here was such a joyful mindfuck at the time, that I've got to think that there's more of merit to be found, if/when Sonny reassessess his attitude.

And funnily enough, watching the material on this set come out on the RCA box and the various individual releases of 60s Sonny that Bluebird did, people who hadn't known any better just assumed that it was all of a piece and so many of them were all holy shit, this is GREAT how did THIS get so overlooked, and the answer is, because it's never really been heard until now, that's why.

The Village Gate material is remarkable. Not all of it equally successful, but hearing it really puts what got released, which was generally more conventional, in a much broader context. Several of the tracks are on youtube for those who want to explore.

Now, what I really want to know is are there complete unedited takes of the "Standard Sonny Rollins" material. I mean, "Three Little Words" contains just over 2 minutes of the greatest shit ever and then fades away. Sonny sounds like he might go on forever. How long did he keep playing?

Edited by Mark Stryker

Does anyone have any idea why this material has never been fully released by RCA? Given the differences in public domain laws in various countries, one would think that RCA (or whomever owns the rights) would have released this material a while ago to stay ahead of unauthorized releases.

It all goes back to this, French RCA, 1961:

Not sure how THAT got released, but it was the first - and last - vault-dipping into RCA's fairly expansive Rollins holdings (Coda once pulished a discography of all known unreleased sessions, and the list was pretty...mind-boggling).

Sonny heard about this, immediately put the kibosh on further sales of this item (a few got imported into the US, but not many), went lawyerball on RCA and the final deal was that the vaults would forever more be sealed, this little bit of leakage excepted.

I'm pretty sure that not everything that's still left in there is going to be worthy of release. But the stuff that came out here was such a joyful mindfuck at the time, that I've got to think that there's more of merit to be found, if/when Sonny reassessess his attitude.

And funnily enough, watching the material on this set come out on the RCA box and the various individual releases of 60s Sonny that Bluebird did, people who hadn't known any better just assumed that it was all of a piece and so many of them were all holy shit, this is GREAT how did THIS get so overlooked, and the answer is, because it's never really been heard until now, that's why.

Same thing happened with There Will Never Be Another You on Impulse. Sonny put a stopper on that one too. Not sure if an agreement was ever reached,

Either a deal cut (certainly not right away, though) or else blatant fucquitousness being displayed, it's been released on CD in Japan as a singe and in he US as a two-fer.

http://www.amazon.com/There-Will-Never-Another-You/dp/B000793B64/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-2185438-6580831?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1188355117&sr=8-3/sonnyrollinsc-20

http://www.amazon.com/Impulse-There-Will-Never-Another/dp/B0051KFV3U/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_15

It all goes back to this, French RCA, 1981:

Thanks for this bit of history.

Out in Japan in one package as After The Bridge. It was already on my list, but now I'll definitely get it

Discogs

CDJapan

I have had the Village Gate stuff on a hard drive for a couple of years, but largely neglected it thus far. I might get the Solar release for convenience.

For me, not being a Rollins fanatic, *this* is the stuff I want to hear more than anything else. I would also love to hear anything up through 67-68 when he stopped recording for a bit (again).

I've heard some of the poor sounding boots of that era but I am not one for awful sound and when coupled with bootleg lineage, I'm totally not interested

I got this from Dime or whatever - it's totally great, much of it equalling or eclipsing the commercial LP - and despite my general observance of avoiding boots, will probably pick up a physical copy as well. I do recall some analog fuzz and fizz in spots, which may have contributed to certain tracks not surfacing before.

For me, not being a Rollins fanatic, *this* is the stuff I want to hear more than anything else. I would also love to hear anything up through 67-68 when he stopped recording for a bit (again).

I've heard some of the poor sounding boots of that era but I am not one for awful sound and when coupled with bootleg lineage, I'm totally not interested

Have you heard the Jazz Icons DVD? It's really great.

jisr_rollins_cvr_sm.jpg

Edited by erwbol

Have you heard the Jazz Icons DVD? It's really great.

jisr_rollins_cvr_sm.jpg

No I have not heard these. Thanks for posting