Shepp/Litweiler - DB 11.07.74

Does anyone have a photo of Shepp smiling?

ARCHIE%20SHEPP2.jpg

1391095096475Archie_Shepp_-_For_Losers1_

This recording is anathama, at least to me, b/c it features two dear friends, Clarence C. Sharpe and wife China Lynne Perault. They're given the tune of I Got it Bad, but unfortunately Shepp plays an obnoxious obligatto over both the vocal and C's alto solo and ruins the track.

Fasstrack said: This recording (For Losers) is anathama, at least to me, b/c it features two dear friends, Clarence C. Sharpe and wife China Lynne Perault. They're given the tune of I Got it Bad, but unfortunately Shepp plays an obnoxious obbligato over both the vocal and C's alto solo and ruins the track.

I hear you man. That is pretty sad. He couldn't play at that time - but to his credit, he learned.

Q

ARCHIE%20SHEPP2.jpg

This recording is anathama, at least to me, b/c it features two dear friends, Clarence C. Sharpe and wife China Lynne Perault. They're given the tune of I Got it Bad, but unfortunately Shepp plays an obnoxious obligatto over both the vocal and C's alto solo and ruins the track.

Judge for yourselves, Organissmo-ites:

I'd say Fasstrack has a point.

The cut after that one on the LP, this most beautiful of Cal Massey compositions (not fully revealed to me until as heard sung as by Joe Lee Wilson with Shepp on A Touch Of The Blues).

A perfect end to Side 1 of an LP called For Losers that opens with two nastyass hardfunk grooves, then ends on two hardballad jams and then turns the side over to Everybody Loves A Winner, Especially When He's Thinner.

Up and down, like a clown. Who gives a damn for losers?

Getting or not getting the point was the whole point.

Hello funkyjazzrecord that pretty ALMOST gets the bass level up to where it would otherwise be if not for jazz.

I get the whole "Shepp eventually learned how to play"" thing, but...he could already play one vocabulary quite well. It was just a question of redirecting into a more specific grammar.

ARCHIE%20SHEPP2.jpg

Judge for yourselves, Organissmo-ites:

I'd say Fasstrack has a point.

Wow, that track's a mess. The singer's kinda pitchy, the pianist isn't listening to anyone, the mix sounds amateurish, and Shepp's just awful. C. Sharpe comes off the best; too bad it wasn't his date.

You don't hear the command of that raspy tone all over the horn, the altisssimo, the subtone, and how he was playing the changes on the ballads and owning the blues/funk declarations?

He couldn't "play changes" for shit (and still usually sounds mechanically neutered when/if he does), but he could play songs very well.

I don't hear anything here that is not in service to his vision of the song, and I hear the song very clearly.

When a cat really can't play, it comes out in a lack of control between registers, inconsistent control over tone, fingers fumbling between notes, all that basic shit. What I hear in Shepp is a very focused delivery of some very specific ideas, of which "playing changes" in the bebop sense is not a priority. But on these ballads, he's following the changes, because he's into playing the song, working the melody. I can't hear it as being anything but that, really..

Now, sure, when he started playing straight-up bebop, that was awkwardly uncomfortably sadfunny, because he was so /NOT about connecting the eight notes in a linear and ongoing manner, he didn't really know how to do it and even after he learned how to do it, I always thought that he must have needed to do that for himself, because he sure didn't need to do it for me. He always reached me best as a "statement" player, a dramatist, and I really didn't care if he could play lines on Ornithology or not, plenty of other people can do that, not everybody could play "The Chased". etc.