Shepp/Litweiler - DB 11.07.74

"I Got it Bad" is certainly weird - yeah, Shepp could've laid out some - but I have no problem with it in the context of the LP, which should be taken as a whole. Shepp didn't seem to be thinking in singles, after all, and there certainly is a shambolic theatricality to its arrangement.

Messy doesn't mean something isn't good.

Hadn't listened to "Theme for Ernie" in a while. Such a fantastic piece.

If you're talking about "Abstract", I don't think so. That pocket's a lot closer to "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" than it is to "Sidewinder". And Blue Note hardly did not use electric bass during that time, and no matter what the bass, they never mixed that upfront in the mix. That's a whole closer to an R&B bass mix than any jazz one (except some jazz 45s I have, but that's talking 45s, and that's talking jukebox mix, and that's a whole 'nother world).

Interesting rhythm section on that cut as well - Dave Burrell on organ, Wally Richardson on guitar, Bob Bushnell on bass, and Bernard Purdie on drums. Burrell might seem an odd duck in there, but the other three, yeah, they knew what the object of the game was.

If you're talking about "Abstract", I don't think so. That pocket's a lot closer to "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" than it is to "Sidewinder". And Blue Note hardly did not use electric bass during that time, and no matter what the bass, they never mixed that upfront in the mix. That's a whole closer to an R&B bass mix than any jazz one (except some jazz 45s I have, but that's talking 45s, and that's talking jukebox mix, and that's a whole 'nother world).

Interesting rhythm section on that cut as well - Dave Burrell on organ, Wally Richardson on guitar, Bob Bushnell on bass, and Bernard Purdie on drums. Burrell might seem an odd duck in there, but the other three, yeah, they knew what the object of the game was.

but it could have been recorded and mixed with more skill (maybe finesse is a better word) to make it absolutely kill.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Yes it could have been (and thank you for implicitly getting the point of it in the first place. I know you've heard some jukeboxes,)

Hell, let's finish the job and put the opening cut up here, then we'll have the whole album.

and don't nobody say it sounds like the them to "Good Times", because that's reverse chronology.

This one could have been recorded and mixed with more finesse as well, but still, and I speak from experience, when you but this record on the turntable and it opens with this...the point gets made about what THIS is gonna be about all the way through. Smiling Archie Shepp dressed in black, framed in black, surround(sound)ed by Black...who give a damn for losers?

Yeah, I am talking about Abstract. Sounds like a boogaloo to me, adjusted maybe for time and place, but not out of the BN idiom.

BTW, has anyone deconstructed the title of the album, "For Losers." and who is the object and subject, and indirect object of same?

Everybody loves a winner

Even when he's thinner

Goin' down like a clown

Who gives a damn for losers?

Everybody loves a winner

Even when he's thinner

Goin' down like a clown

Who gives a damn for losers?

When lipstick's ten cents a tube

That's progress, man in motion

Got my man's sweet lotion

For my sunburned soul

Blacker than brown, browner than beige

And you can take that any way you like

Just don't call me an all day sucker

Mother's Day is over for losers.

For losers.

For Losers.

I've come to understand it as a Ghetto Max Roach album, and I say that with full love for Max, Shepp, and to the extent I know it, the ghetto((s), hello the ghettos of unshaven drunken and beaten country people in rent(semi)houses way off the road on somebody else's land, you're there too, if not on this record, don't sweat it, you have your records too)), faults and uglinesses of beauties inseparable from that beauty. Ugly Beauty, Oliver Nelson was a Winner, Cal Massey was a Loser, Abbey Lincoln was a Winner, Chinalin Sharp was a Loser. Members Don't Get Weary, the Race will be won, but for others, that's not a Starter's pistol, and really - who gives a damn For Losers?

• 2 years later...
On ‎31‎.‎05‎.‎2015 at 10:42 PM, mjzee said:

Does anyone have a photo of Shepp smiling?

When I got into Archie Shepp the first time, I also would have asked that question. Saw him life on several occasions, the first time in 1979 with a fantastic quartet with the dream team of Siegfried Kessler (p), Bob Cunningham (b) and Clifford Jarvis (dr) and there was no smile, but who cares, the music was one of the greatest experiences in my live.

Later with Ken Werner, Santi Debriano and John Betsch, no smiling,

and much later together with my wife with another trio, I don´t remember the personnel.......standing ovations, and my wife who never had heard about him before said: Look, he has that beautiful warm smile, such a symphatic person.