The Holy Grail of Jazz

Hardbopjazz

I've not heard the Trane/Wes thing, but I seem to remember somebody posting here (or somewhere) that they had, and that the sound quality was extremely poor, but that the holder of the tape still wanted an exhorbitant fee to let it out.

Ayler/Taylor was part of the Ayler tree material that circulated last year, and might be slated for inclusion in the upcoming(?) set that Revenant(?) has planned. But it does exist, and has been circulated.

I've not heard the Trane/Wes thing, but I seem to remember somebody posting here (or somewhere) that they had, and that the sound quality was extremely poor, but that the holder of the tape still wanted an exhorbitant fee to let it out.

The only reference I recall (here at Org) was that trading site that Dan Gould posted about, where somebody had it listed. I don't recall the details now, but as far as anybody knew, it still hadn't been "circulated"... which is why I'll remain skeptical for now...

Ayler/Taylor was part of the Ayler tree material that circulated last year, and might be slated for inclusion in the upcoming(?) set that Revenant(?) has planned. But it does exist, and has been circulated.

I get the feeling that this is the case. I'll write Dean and see what he says (or is willing to spill in advance).

I have a copy of that Ayler/Taylor broadcast. ..

What I am waiting for now is some broadcast from the 1943 Earl Hines big band that had Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bennie Harris, Billy Eckstine, Sarah Vaughan and others...

Oh yeah!

I'd also like to hear Miles' 1961-62 group that included J.J. Johnson.

Regarding the Trane/Wes audience tape, a subject that's surfaced a couple of times here & on the old BNBB, Lewis Porter does refer to such a tape in the performance bibliography of his Coltrane bio.

Yeah, how that Hines band seemingly remained COMPLETELY undocumented is on of the biggest mysteries in the history of the world as far as I'm concerned. Something's just wrong with that picture.

RE: Wes/Trane, I'm pretty sure one of the hardest of the hardcore collectors on one of these boards, and a reliable source at that, mentioned having heard the tape. So I myself am in the "convinced it exists" camp.

Regarding the Trane/Wes audience tape, a subject that's surfaced a couple of times here & on the old BNBB, Lewis Porter does refer to such a tape in the performance bibliography of his Coltrane bio.

I (still) wonder if he (or anyone) has actually heard it. Did he mention it at all in the text of his book?

RE: Wes/Trane, I'm pretty sure one of the hardest of the hardcore collectors on one of these boards, and a reliable source at that, mentioned having heard the tape. So I myself am in the "convinced it exists" camp.

I tend to agree. It seems totally logical that at least some tape exists (they even played together at the '61 Monterey festival), but it would be nice to see/hear some more concrete evidence after all these years...