Windows 10

They basically decided to offer it free to all users who are already on versions of 7 and 8,. I know the previous upgrade was not a resounding success , a lot of negative comments. So to put everybody on the same page they gave you an offer you can't refuse ....

Edited by Van Basten II

IIRC the upgrade to Win10 for existing Win7 and Win8.x machines will be free for a year after it's released. I have two Win7 desktops that I have no intention of upgrading right now, but will probably reassess that decision when the window for the free upgrade is close to closing.

I also have a Win8.1 laptop that I'll almost certainly be upgrading, as I'm not a big fan of Win8/8.1 and I expect Win10 to be an improvement, if only an incremental one.

I shall also be very wary about clicking on that icon. I managed to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1, but had to ask a computer-savvy friend to iron out minor glitches. He said some people had had bigger problems. "Such as?" I asked. "Such as needing a new computer," he replied.

Edited by BillF

I find the "do nothing" option is usually best for this sort of thing... let someone else iron out the problems. By the time everyone is using Windows 10 I'll either be dead or using a new computer which has Windows 10 preloaded.

I'd still be interested in learning what advantages there might be to moving over to Windows 10 though.

I really can't get my head around all this "Windows X is great, Windows Y is unuseable" stuff.

You install a version, it mostly works, some GUI stuff might look different but at the end of the day it's all point'n'grunt (same as Apple/Linux - put a reasonably intelligent person in front of any of these and they'll get stuff done).

What's interesting is what we don't see from the user perspective - the technicalities under the covers, which are mostly improving and seem to be making less demand on hardware these days. That said, I've had Windows 10 Tech Preview on a laptop with light daily use for some months now - there have bene a few issues, but nothing especially harmful or out of the ordinary for Beta software. Given the open nature of the PC world (as opposed to the rigid control of the Apple environment) it's not unexpected, and I'd anticipate it being mostly in good order as they proceed to a formal release.

But what I don't like - and don't like a lot - is the trend towards treating the client base as marketting fodder getting sucked into "App Store" and "the Cloud" for nobody's benefit other than the mega-corporation.

Punchline - one day some software you rely on (the OS is only there as a platform) is going to require you to upgrade. When that day comes you'll need to either upgrade the OS, find alternative software, or just live without updates.

I find the "do nothing" option is usually best for this sort of thing... let someone else iron out the problems. By the time everyone is using Windows 10 I'll either be dead or using a new computer which has Windows 10 preloaded.

I'd still be interested in learning what advantages there might be to moving over to Windows 10 though.

Good practice no matter what kind of product it is. Early adopters tend to have a lot of headaches.

I really can't get my head around all this "Windows X is great, Windows Y is unuseable" stuff.

Then you obviously never made the switch from Windows XP to Windows Vista.

Or from OS 9 to OS X.

As for Windows 7, it was an OS designed for lap/desktop computers. But, Windows 8 was primarily designed for their touchscreen tablet, then lazily ported to lap/desktops.

Either way, there can be enormous differences in functionality and user friendliness between operating systems.

Hell, the differences in usability between Windows 98 and 98 SE were striking.

My wife has an old (about 6 1/2 years) laptop that only has a dual-core processor and 3GB RAM. For what she uses it for (light websurfing, editing MS Office documents and presentations, accessing her corporate network via VPN), it's still perfectly adequate.When it was new, it came with Vista installed. I'd had a sealed, retail Win7 upgrade CD that I got for really cheap ($30, IIRC) when Win7 was first released, and kept intending to use it to upgrade the laptop to Win7, but inertia and a lack of the necessary free time to do so had me procrastinating until the middle of last year.

The upgrade was trouble-free and as quick as one could expect an OS upgrade to be, and after a day or two of pulling down all of the Win7 updates and double-checking the config on everything, I was surprised at how much better the performance was with Win7 than it had been with Vista. Boot times are significantly faster, and there's no longer an interminable wait after user login until all the startup processes load and you can actually start using the machine. Plus, no more godawful Vista User Account Control to deal with.

I was thinking that we'd probably have to buy a newer laptop soon, but the upgrade has extended the old one's useful lifespan for a while longer. I should've tackled the upgrade a lot sooner. Vista flat blows compared to newer versions of Windows.

I got a later version of Vista as a clean install on a new machine with no attempt to port old data or programs over to it, and I rode that thing like it was Secretariat for longer than I had any expectations for. No problems at all, none. But when it finally did crash, it was fatal. Now on 7, like it well enough, but honestly, I've had more stability issue with it than I ever had with Vista.

From talking to people, it seemed like the key to Vista Success was getting it clean and/or getting it with a later SP. But all that came after The Nightmare was official, and who can blame that for happening? Nobody except Microsoft, that's who. Believe me, I ran XP long after it made any sense because of that nightmare. My son finally said, get over dad, it's working now, and...yeah, it was. But damn, should not have taken that long.

I'll give this to Vista - it exceeded my expectations in both quality and duration and died the way I hope to - all at once and without warning.

Not exactly tumescent for 10, definitely not in any hurry to buy a Mac, too lazy for Linux, so sticking with 7 until 10 comes 11, because 6 never did become 9, this is PC, not I Ching.

• 1 month later...