BFT 135 Discussion

Hardbopjazz

10. Jimmy Heath

11. Charlie Rouse with Tommy Flanagan, George Mraz and Kenny Washington from this. Forgot the name of the tune.

12. Wayne playing Contemplation with J@LC Orchestra a couple of weeks ago.

13. Johnny Griffin, Von Freeman, Billy Higgins, Ron Carter, John Young.

- This was from Alice Tully Hall August 6, 1990. It was a double bill of Johnny Griffin's Quartet (me, Dennis Irwin, Kenny Washington) and Von Freeman with John Young, Ron Carter and Billy Higgins. I didn't remember this - apparently Johnny and Von played an encore together.

Edited by Michael Weiss

You are good, Michael. This BFT may be over fairly quick. :smirk:

10. This is Jimmy Heath. Still need the pianist. I rally think anyone would get Jimmy Heath.

11. This Is Charles Rouse, Tommy Flanagan, George and Kenny.

12. Yes, this is Wayne Shorter with the J@LC orchestra. I liked the arrangement that was done on this tune and decided to include it.

One of those tricky, live sorta tests... I'm dig.

Track 1 - Greasy. I like it. Reminiscent of some of Jeff Coffin's later stuff, but with more grit. I was liking the patience of the saxophonist, but he's started getting altered extension happy, and it's kind of lost the groove. It's a burner, but it didn't quite hold for me.

Track 2 - The way you look tonight. Not a band I'm familiar with, but chops to spare all around. No guesses.
Track 3 - Borrows flatteringly from Killer Joe. No guesses, another band with skills.
Track 4 - This has a nice mix of old and new. Has a bit of a feel like Lou Donaldson, but then has the chop-heavy rhythms of Kenny Garrett. May well be KG. Right about 3:45 is a lick that almost loses the rhythm, but doesn't; has me thinking Joey D. Again at 4:10, a very Joey D line. That would lend some credence to the Kenny Garrett guess. Very bright sounding snare -- feel like I should know the drummer.
Track 5 - I love this at two notes. Easy Living. The intro from the rhythm section reminded me a lot of Buck Hill's second Steeplechase date with Kenny Barron, Buster Williams and Billy Hart. Tenor player sounds like a younger guy the more he plays (or maybe I'm just getting old). Some very chop-heavy lines in there, sort of like Ricky Ford, but much cleaner than that. Second listen: I've got him at 5:15, but for a bad reason. It works here, but he does something that flirts with the line of taste and that's what outted him -- it's Craig Handy. Not sure what the band is. Could be Buster Williams on bass. Solid, tight rhythm section; drummer is for real.
Track 6 - That confused me for a second -- nice segue, well done. Damned song is going to confound me... GAH! Sounds like Howard Alden to me. Tastefully safe. AH! Warm Valley!
Track 7 - Sure could be Gene Harris on piano. Hmmm... maybe not, but derivative. No idea on the guitar, and not feeling GH any longer. But man, now into the solo, it sure could be. This has a terrific feel. About 3:05, no way that's Gene -- too flashy, but DAMN! This guy can PLAY! Can't place the song, but I know it... almost sounds like a Tristano tune, but seems more of a standard than that.
Track 8 - I like the idea behind it. No idea who this is.
Track 9 - Nice solid flute sound. Thinking saxophonist doubling -- has that heavy sound. Tune has a new agey quality about it at points, but more of a soul base than that (sort like Harold Land's album of folk music). I could listen to a lot of this. Reminds me a lot of Jim Pepper, too. And now, we're onto something else, but equally tasty. That soprano suggests I was right about the doubling. I like this Coltrane rhythmic feel that develops. Saxophonist shows that Trane/Shorter influence, but seems to have his/her own thing in the attack and vibrato. Now we're into full 'Trane. Could be Azar Lawrence. Very nice.
Track 10 - Another Yew. :D I like this guy's sound and approach, but there are some spots where he rushes a bit, sort of like Jimmy Heath. Maybe Chico Freeman? Wow, really has that Jimmy Heath timing -- could this be later Jimmy? Overall, I like the take on the tune. Not trying to set any sort of records for innovation, but just a quality take on the tune. I'm going to say it's Jimmy -- he's just doing that time thing too much.
Track 11 - That's Charlie Rouse, no question. Is this a live Sphere date? Can't hear the bass too well, but that could certainly be Ben Riley, and I've been thinking Kenny Barron. Man... song is driving me nuts... I know it, but can't place the title.
Track 12 - It's a Shorter tune from the Messenger years... Contemplation. Could be later Wayne, I suppose. Sounds a bit too brutish to be Wayne. Though, really struggling with the low end, which is certainly true of Wayne in later years (too much time playing the unemployment stick!).
Track 13 - Now's The Time. Well, I hear Johnny Griffin there in the head. And there is definitely Von Freeman. Man, that would be a FUN night!

After reading thread: Egad. I thought I'd done alright on the latter part, but I just got schooled, hard.

One of those tricky, live sorta tests... I'm dig.

Track 1 - Greasy. I like it. Reminiscent of some of Jeff Coffin's later stuff, but with more grit. I was liking the patience of the saxophonist, but he's started getting altered extension happy, and it's kind of lost the groove. It's a burner, but it didn't quite hold for me.

The whole album is real good and greasy.
Track 2 - The way you look tonight. Not a band I'm familiar with, but chops to spare all around. No guesses.
I like this guitarist that's why I included this track.
Track 3 - Borrows flatteringly from Killer Joe. No guesses, another band with skills.
Track 4 - This has a nice mix of old and new. Has a bit of a feel like Lou Donaldson, but then has the chop-heavy rhythms of Kenny Garrett. May well be KG. Right about 3:45 is a lick that almost loses the rhythm, but doesn't; has me thinking Joey D. Again at 4:10, a very Joey D line. That would lend some credence to the Kenny Garrett guess. Very bright sounding snare -- feel like I should know the drummer. It is KG.
Track 5 - I love this at two notes. Easy Living. The intro from the rhythm section reminded me a lot of Buck Hill's second Steeplechase date with Kenny Barron, Buster Williams and Billy Hart. Tenor player sounds like a younger guy the more he plays (or maybe I'm just getting old). Some very chop-heavy lines in there, sort of like Ricky Ford, but much cleaner than that. Second listen: I've got him at 5:15, but for a bad reason. It works here, but he does something that flirts with the line of taste and that's what outted him -- it's Craig Handy. Not sure what the band is. Could be Buster Williams on bass. Solid, tight rhythm section; drummer is for real. Yes it is Craig Handy. Not Buster.
Track 6 - That confused me for a second -- nice segue, well done. Damned song is going to confound me... GAH! Sounds like Howard Alden to me. Tastefully safe. AH! Warm Valley!
Is that your guess?
Track 7 - Sure could be Gene Harris on piano. Hmmm... maybe not, but derivative. No idea on the guitar, and not feeling GH any longer. But man, now into the solo, it sure could be. This has a terrific feel. About 3:05, no way that's Gene -- too flashy, but DAMN! This guy can PLAY! Can't place the song, but I know it... almost sounds like a Tristano tune, but seems more of a standard than that.
Track 8 - I like the idea behind it. No idea who this is.
Track 9 - Nice solid flute sound. Thinking saxophonist doubling -- has that heavy sound. Tune has a new agey quality about it at points, but more of a soul base than that (sort like Harold Land's album of folk music). I could listen to a lot of this. Reminds me a lot of Jim Pepper, too. And now, we're onto something else, but equally tasty. That soprano suggests I was right about the doubling. I like this Coltrane rhythmic feel that develops. Saxophonist shows that Trane/Shorter influence, but seems to have his/her own thing in the attack and vibrato. Now we're into full 'Trane. Could be Azar Lawrence. Very nice. No, it isn't Azar Lawrence.
Track 10 - Another Yew. :D I like this guy's sound and approach, but there are some spots where he rushes a bit, sort of like Jimmy Heath. Maybe Chico Freeman? Wow, really has that Jimmy Heath timing -- could this be later Jimmy? Overall, I like the take on the tune. Not trying to set any sort of records for innovation, but just a quality take on the tune. I'm going to say it's Jimmy -- he's just doing that time thing too much. Yes, it is Jimmy Hesth. Miachel Weiss got it right too.
Track 11 - That's Charlie Rouse, no question. Is this a live Sphere date? Can't hear the bass too well, but that could certainly be Ben Riley, and I've been thinking Kenny Barron. Man... song is driving me nuts... I know it, but can't place the title. It is Rouse, not Sphere. Michael Weiss was able to name all the musicians.
Track 12 - It's a Shorter tune from the Messenger years... Contemplation. Could be later Wayne, I suppose. Sounds a bit too brutish to be Wayne. Though, really struggling with the low end, which is certainly true of Wayne in later years (too much time playing the unemployment stick!). This too Michael Weiss got right. It is Wayne Shorter.
Track 13 - Now's The Time. Well, I hear Johnny Griffin there in the head. And there is definitely Von Freeman. Man, that would be a FUN night! Yup. Von and Griffin.

After reading thread: Egad. I thought I'd done alright on the latter part, but I just got schooled, hard.

I am still digesting this Blindfold Test, but I want to say that I just love Track 1. Is that "Comin' Home?" The organ riff reminds me of "I'm a Man", but usually when I am reminded of "I'm a Man" it is because the musicians are playing "Comin' Home."

Track 1 is compelling, good and fun. I need to get this album. Now watch, I already own it and don't realize it.

I am still digesting this Blindfold Test, but I want to say that I just love Track 1. Is that "Comin' Home?" The organ riff reminds me of "I'm a Man", but usually when I am reminded of "I'm a Man" it is because the musicians are playing "Comin' Home."

Track 1 is compelling, good and fun. I need to get this album. Now watch, I already own it and don't realize it.

I had that happen before. I hear something and go buy it, only to find I already had it.

It's not "Comin' Home"

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• 2 weeks later...

1 – Fun, but I've heard a lot of this kind of stuff lately and I'm just not in the mood, sorry. Kudos to the drummer for lessening monotony while the sax noodles.

2 – I confess, this one loses me early, during the head, because the guitarist has to fill every pause in the melody instead of letting it breathe. The guitar solo has some nice phrases but lots of gymnastics. Pat Martino? The organ solo is OK. The out chorus has the same problem as the first.

3 – This is better than the usual neo-soul-jazz. When the guitarist is in full flight, I can't predict where the phrases are going to land. And there's a certain enthusiasm to it all.

4 – Is that Kenny Garrett on alto, or somebody who wants to be him? I kinda like the guitar, even if there are a few too many notes. There are some original thoughts in there. The organ is pretty good too, and I'm enjoying the drumming.

5 – Now leaving Organ Combo Land – please come back soon. This is "Easy Living" by a tenor I can't identify but wouldn't mind hearing more of. The tenor hands off to the piano most artfully after the bridge, and the trio starts playing "Never Let Me Go" instead. But this isn't the Norman Granz ballad medley, because the tenor comes back with the last half of "Easy Living." A little strange. I'm not against combining tunes, but it shouldn't feel so much like "this is my tune, that's your tune, you don't touch my tune and I won't touch yours."

6 – "Warm Valley" with elegant note-bending. There's some deep textural imagination in that guitar solo, and it's well matched by the bass. Yeah. Jim Hall?

7 – "You and the Night and the Music," a slightly conservative duo but that's OK.

8 – Jay Leonhart. Not one of his best things, but you gotta feel his pain on this one.

More later.

1 – Fun, but I've heard a lot of this kind of stuff lately and I'm just not in the mood, sorry. Kudos to the drummer for lessening monotony while the sax noodles.

2 – I confess, this one loses me early, during the head, because the guitarist has to fill every pause in the melody instead of letting it breathe. The guitar solo has some nice phrases but lots of gymnastics. Pat Martino? The organ solo is OK. The out chorus has the same problem as the first.

3 – This is better than the usual neo-soul-jazz. When the guitarist is in full flight, I can't predict where the phrases are going to land. And there's a certain enthusiasm to it all.

4 – Is that Kenny Garrett on alto, or somebody who wants to be him? I kinda like the guitar, even if there are a few too many notes. There are some original thoughts in there. The organ is pretty good too, and I'm enjoying the drumming.

5 – Now leaving Organ Combo Land – please come back soon. This is "Easy Living" by a tenor I can't identify but wouldn't mind hearing more of. The tenor hands off to the piano most artfully after the bridge, and the trio starts playing "Never Let Me Go" instead. But this isn't the Norman Granz ballad medley, because the tenor comes back with the last half of "Easy Living." A little strange. I'm not against combining tunes, but it shouldn't feel so much like "this is my tune, that's your tune, you don't touch my tune and I won't touch yours."

6 – "Warm Valley" with elegant note-bending. There's some deep textural imagination in that guitar solo, and it's well matched by the bass. Yeah. Jim Hall?

7 – "You and the Night and the Music," a slightly conservative duo but that's OK.

8 – Jay Leonhart. Not one of his best things, but you gotta feel his pain on this one.

More later.

My reply seems to have gotten lost.

8 is Jay Leonhart.

Well, I’ve delayed long enough, I feel. Gonna have a listen to this before the answers are put up. Also gotta confess that I haven’t been looking forward to this with great enthusiasm, or I’d have found time earlier, but I still hope for pleasant surprises. Well, the album sleeve is GREAT!!! So here goes, when ‘OUA’ by Papa and Kandia Kouyate finishes in a couple of minutes.

1 Fairly familiar tune. I think I must have this. I’m going to guess after two minutes it’s Dr Lonnie Smiff, playing ‘Nick’s kick’ with Crash, on 6 September 2003 at the Cellar, Vancouver. A DAMN fine album that, perhaps the best Dr L ever made, except his Club Mozambique job. Well, bugger me, that was a VERY pleasant surprise.

2 ‘Just the way you look tonight’ played by guitar and organ so quietly I can barely hear them, when I’m on full volume. Oh it’s a bit better when I put my earphones in. Well, I can hear the guitarist’s playing a bit too fast for his mind to work out nice shapes. The organist sounds like Melvin Rhyne. And since the guitarist ain’t Wes Montgomery, it’s gotta be someone like Peter Bernstein, except his sound is a bit too solid for him, so maybe it’s a European.

3 Whips earplugs out. Something else I have. Well, I know that guitar intro, but I associate it with a record by a tenor player, so this isn’t something I’ve got. Well, the organist’s either Jimmy Smiff or one of his recent imitators, and I go for a recent imitator. The guitarist’s a bit of a Grant Green imitator, so this sounds like a recent band of young people who didn’t grow up in the society in which rap makes sense.

4 Oh, here’s another I’ve got.  No I haven’t, it’s just a familiar tune once recorded by GG, LY and EJ. I can’t be asked to decide what the title is. I think I’ve heard this guitarist before and don’t like him. Oh well. Four organ tracks is a nice start for me. Well, this is probably Bill Heid.

5 OK, piano. ‘Easy livin’’ played by a tenor player who’s got the right experience. He’s pretty good for a recent guy. But he doesn’t have the feeling that I associate with people like Ike, Illinois, Arnett, Hal, Jaws, Griff (etc etc etc), so that dates him. But he’s studied those players well and, to my amazement, isn’t imitating anyone in particular. This is someone I could get interested in. The very end sounded like Harold Land.

6 I have a strong Billy Strayhorn feeling about this tune. Sounds like guitar, bass and drums. Nice bass solo, nice guitar solo. Not something that makes me get up and boogaloo, nor something I’d go out of my way to listen to, but here, it’s very nice.

7 ‘You and the night and the music’! I haven’t heard this song in YONKS! Lovely song! I don’t think I’ve got any recordings of it. The flow of the guitarist puts me much in mind of Rene Thomas. Can’t say much about the flow of the pianist, ‘cos it’s barely there.

8 Song about trying to put a bass on an aeroplane. Moderately funny. Well, it gets funnier as it goes along. Thanks for this.

9 Well, two minutes of slow intro. Is this going to take off? Well, it does at 2:40. Very nice rhythm and time, reminding me of ‘Native land’. Now at 4:00 we go into a bit of contrapuntal stuff for half a minute, then the solos begin. With a soprano sax. Well, there’s definitely meat, potatoes and gravy in this, but I could have done without the hors d’oeuvres. I like them straight ahead, like smoked salmon, not unrelated bits of sushi. Whoever these guys are, they’ve GOT to have listened to Curtis Amy’s ‘Native land’ and decided to do the same thing but different. But even though it’s not Amy, Bolton and Wilson, it’s well done and enjoyable. I thought we were going to get a nice piano solo, but no, it’s gone back into the counterpoint thing, then a nice tag with the two horns. Then enough applause.

10 ‘There will never be another you’ by a tenor player. This is another fairly modern geezer. Someone like Eric Alexander, who seldom really plays as well as he probably could and has once or twice. So, OK.

11 Now this is an older guy. A bit of a bopper. I get a feeling of Lucky Thompson or Don Byas, someone I haven’t heard all that much of, about him. The tune is a bop line and, is it my imagination or is it based on ‘There will never be another you’? I’ll be interested to see who this is, though on the strength of this recording, I don’t think I’d get interested enough to go seek him out.

12 I’m afraid this cut is doing absolutely nothing for me. I just don’t get it.

13 Oh ‘The hucklebuck’! Or maybe they call it ‘Now’s the time’. A perennially popular tune, ‘The hucklebuck’ keeps coming back and making another hit record. I think the last one was by an Irish C&W band which made the Irish pop charts in about 2010. Can’t say that much about this version.

Well, lots of pleasant surprises here, I’ve got to say. Thank you.

MG 

Well, I’ve delayed long enough, I feel. Gonna have a listen to this before the answers are put up. Also gotta confess that I haven’t been looking forward to this with great enthusiasm, or I’d have found time earlier, but I still hope for pleasant surprises. Well, the album sleeve is GREAT!!! So here goes, when ‘OUA’ by Papa and Kandia Kouyate finishes in a couple of minutes.

1 Fairly familiar tune. I think I must have this. I’m going to guess after two minutes it’s Dr Lonnie Smiff, playing ‘Nick’s kick’ with Crash, on 6 September 2003 at the Cellar, Vancouver. A DAMN fine album that, perhaps the best Dr L ever made, except his Club Mozambique job. Well, bugger me, that was a VERY pleasant surprise. (correct.) 

2 ‘Just the way you look tonight’ played by guitar and organ so quietly I can barely hear them, when I’m on full volume. Oh it’s a bit better when I put my earphones in. Well, I can hear the guitarist’s playing a bit too fast for his mind to work out nice shapes. The organist sounds like Melvin Rhyne. And since the guitarist ain’t Wes Montgomery, it’s gotta be someone like Peter Bernstein, except his sound is a bit too solid for him, so maybe it’s a European.

3 Whips earplugs out. Something else I have. Well, I know that guitar intro, but I associate it with a record by a tenor player, so this isn’t something I’ve got. Well, the organist’s either Jimmy Smiff or one of his recent imitators, and I go for a recent imitator. The guitarist’s a bit of a Grant Green imitator, so this sounds like a recent band of young people who didn’t grow up in the society in which rap makes sense.

4 Oh, here’s another I’ve got.  No I haven’t, it’s just a familiar tune once recorded by GG, LY and EJ. I can’t be asked to decide what the title is. I think I’ve heard this guitarist before and don’t like him. Oh well. Four organ tracks is a nice start for me. Well, this is probably Bill Heid.

5 OK, piano. ‘Easy livin’’ played by a tenor player who’s got the right experience. He’s pretty good for a recent guy. But he doesn’t have the feeling that I associate with people like Ike, Illinois, Arnett, Hal, Jaws, Griff (etc etc etc), so that dates him. But he’s studied those players well and, to my amazement, isn’t imitating anyone in particular. This is someone I could get interested in. The very end sounded like Harold Land.( The tenor player was figured out earlier.)

6 I have a strong Billy Strayhorn feeling about this tune. Sounds like guitar, bass and drums. Nice bass solo, nice guitar solo. Not something that makes me get up and boogaloo, nor something I’d go out of my way to listen to, but here, it’s very nice.

7 ‘You and the night and the music’! I haven’t heard this song in YONKS! Lovely song! I don’t think I’ve got any recordings of it. The flow of the guitarist puts me much in mind of Rene Thomas. Can’t say much about the flow of the pianist, ‘cos it’s barely there. ( I thought someone would have gotten this one already.)

8 Song about trying to put a bass on an aeroplane. Moderately funny. Well, it gets funnier as it goes along. Thanks for this.

9 Well, two minutes of slow intro. Is this going to take off? Well, it does at 2:40. Very nice rhythm and time, reminding me of ‘Native land’. Now at 4:00 we go into a bit of contrapuntal stuff for half a minute, then the solos begin. With a soprano sax. Well, there’s definitely meat, potatoes and gravy in this, but I could have done without the hors d’oeuvres. I like them straight ahead, like smoked salmon, not unrelated bits of sushi. Whoever these guys are, they’ve GOT to have listened to Curtis Amy’s ‘Native land’ and decided to do the same thing but different. But even though it’s not Amy, Bolton and Wilson, it’s well done and enjoyable. I thought we were going to get a nice piano solo, but no, it’s gone back into the counterpoint thing, then a nice tag with the two horns. Then enough applause.

10 ‘There will never be another you’ by a tenor player. This is another fairly modern geezer. Someone like Eric Alexander, who seldom really plays as well as he probably could and has once or twice. So, OK.(The tenor player was ID'ed by Michael Weiss.)

11 Now this is an older guy. A bit of a bopper. I get a feeling of Lucky Thompson or Don Byas, someone I haven’t heard all that much of, about him. The tune is a bop line and, is it my imagination or is it based on ‘There will never be another you’? I’ll be interested to see who this is, though on the strength of this recording, I don’t think I’d get interested enough to go seek him out. (Also ID'ed by Michael Weiss)

12 I’m afraid this cut is doing absolutely nothing for me. I just don’t get it.

13 Oh ‘The hucklebuck’! Or maybe they call it ‘Now’s the time’. A perennially popular tune, ‘The hucklebuck’ keeps coming back and making another hit record. I think the last one was by an Irish C&W band which made the Irish pop charts in about 2010. Can’t say that much about this version.

Well, lots of pleasant surprises here, I’ve got to say. Thank you.

MG 

OK, time to finish what I started before a few too many interruptions --

9 – If this was available through Dusty Groove, the blurb would contain the phrase "spiritual vibe." All I can say is that this is about the best thing I've heard all month and there's no aspect of it that I don't like. Beautiful.

10 – "There Will Never Be Another You." Tenor sure sounds like Jimmy Heath. A textbook written about this solo would set some young players on the right path. Love the signoff, where the player almost makes a banal quote but quickly changes path.

11 – "The Chase," a wonderful example of Charlie Rouse in good, loose form. Tracks 10 and 11 are bebop nirvana, a place I'm always willing to visit.

12 – So is that an older Wayne chart in a newish performance? Endlessly fascinating.

13 – Vonski and Griffski. Think I heard this on a Chicago Jazz Festival broadcast, or maybe it was a CDR. Not enough here to get the real flavor, but still a nice ending.

Many thanks!

Hi Tom, finally my thoughts at your BFT. It has been fun! Not many answers though, sorry.

01. sounds a bit like the New Cool Collective, probably isn’t. Part of the theme sounds familiar.
Funky groove.

02. Theme sounds familiar. No clue.

03. Ah, nice!

04. Merry tune, nice tune. No clue yet.

05. quietly beautiful.

06. I think I know the theme on this one, can’t come up with a title though. Réally pretty!

07. song – my forum(life)- motto: You and the night and the music  :) – composer: Arthur Schwarz (lyrics: Howard Dietz, not used here) Fun piece.

08. Finally I’ve found one, first I thought about Kurt Elling., but it's:
Jay Leonhart – Bass aboard a plane – first on an album in 2001 label Sons of Sound productions SSP (Galxies and planets); later on “The Bass lesson” (on cd and dvd) – 2003 label Chancellor; Also on a compilation album (cd) Sons of Sound: Jazz 2004 – label SSP.
I have a soft spot for bass players especially those who sing while playing to be honest. This song is fun. I had never heard of this song, nor of the artist.

09. Ooh, beautiful. No clue I’m afraid. My favourite piece on your BFT I think. Curious about the artist.

10. There will never be another you – composer: Harry Warren (lyrics: Mack Gordon, not used in this case) No clue of the artist, but I like it.

11. Tadd Dameron - The Chase – (composer Tadd Dameron) probably with Fats Novarro, not sure from which album. I know this song from the session I’ve been visiting. The musicians like to play it.

12. Really pretty melody.
Very nice!

13. Now’s the time – Charlie Parker.  The Big band I was in used this as an encore with lots of possibility to solo for the players.

Thanks for a really nice BFT, Tom. Several really lovely ones and a lot of new music for me to discover.
Sorry to be so late with my answers/thoughts. I thought I still had some time but the month went quicker than I thought, lol and these last few days I stressed since I had to take my cat to the vet too and it turned out she isn't healthy, but that
's no excuse for earlier this month. Anyway, thank you for having me. I really enjoy participating!
Kind regards, page

Edited by page

Got up this morning and started playing one of the CDs I'd got out last might to hear over breakfast. Shocked to find I was listening to #3 of the BFT! Well, bugger me!

So it's 'Goes blue' by Ximo Tebar, from the Omix album 'Ximo Tebar goes blue', with Dr Lonnie, again, Idris Muhammad, whom I also should have recognised. Also at the session, and not on this cut, was Sweet Papa Lou. Well!

MG