Expanding the Hammond XK-1C

wynton

I own and really enjoy the xk1c, but am now looking for ways to expand to dual manuals, if not dual manuals plus a pedal board. The reason is that I am getting more serious about fronting organ trios, where as before I was using the xk1c more for blues/funk bands with bass players.

At the moment, I also own a Yamaha CP4. I realize I can use the CP4 as a lower manual, with sounds generated from the xk1c via MIDI. But I wonder whether there is a more logical setup that would avoid MIDI (and enable me to place both manuals nearly as close to one another as would happen on a "real" Hammond).

Frankly, I think what I really want is an xk1c that actually comes with two manuals. I suppose I could just buy a second xk1c. I guess I could also get the SK1, but I have no interest in the extra sounds. I only want the organ sounds on 2 manuals with waterfall-style keys.

What would you recommend?

Your best bet is really the SK2. Although maybe wait until Summer NAMM next month and see if Hammond debuts anything new. But the SK2 is the best lightweight two manual solution on the market. Even if you don't use the extra sounds, it's still a great value and the spacing between the manuals is perfect. I love mine.