Kamasi Washington: THE EPIC

ghost of miles

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is one person from  "rock pantheon" that leaves me cold it is David Bowie. I've enjoyed lots of "rock"- West Coast Psychedelic, Allman Brothers, British Prog, Lou Reed, RIO, Australian Hard Rock, Czech Indie, Russian Punk- you name it, but never Bowie. There is no discernible cause that I can put a finger on, except maybe a perceived lack of sincerity in anything he does as an artist.

31 minutes ago, mandrill said:

If there is one person from  "rock pantheon" that leaves me cold it is David Bowie. I've enjoyed lots of "rock"- West Coast Psychedelic, Allman Brothers, British Prog, Lou Reed, RIO, Australian Hard Rock, Czech Indie, Russian Punk- you name it, but never Bowie. There is no discernible cause that I can put a finger on, except maybe a perceived lack of sincerity in anything he does as an artist.

I like most of what Bowie has done, which has encompassed a great amount of variety over his entire career. Different strokes.

He has worked with jazz musicians before. Lester Bowie was featured on his "Black Tie White Noise" album, and  he recorded with the Pat Metheny Group on "This Is Not America."

Edited by Hot Ptah

2 hours ago, mandrill said:

That's cool. For me it would be Bruce Springsteen. I don't find him unlistenable, or a hack, I just don't get "The Boss" hype. I do really dig the shit out of Streets Of Philadelphia, though. 

As for Bowie, I'm not a huge fan, but generally like his music. Fame and I'm Afraid Of Americans are both top shelf tunes, IMO. 

28 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

That's cool. For me it would be Bruce Springsteen. I don't find him unlistenable, or a hack, I just don't get "The Boss" hype. I do really dig the shit out of Streets Of Philadelphia, though. 

As for Bowie, I'm not a huge fan, but generally like his music. Fame and I'm Afraid Of Americans are both top shelf tunes, IMO. 

I don't care much about Springsteen either, but I really like "Nebraska" album. And I don't get much of Bob Dylan's hype- with exception of "Highway 61" & "Blonde on Blonde". I prefer Leonard Cohen to Dylan by wide mile.

I do greatly enjoy "Jewels & Binoculars" project though. All three of their CDs are very good. Saw them live in Charlotte some years ago. Great trio.

3 hours ago, BFrank said:

He's playing here in Feb. One show already sold out, and they just added a late show.
Worth seeing?

I can't say myself but my friend who most definitely didn't buy into the hype went to see him in London and was very impressed. The last concerts I attended with this friend were Roscoe Mitchell and Peter Brotzmann so he doesn't set his sights low. The concert was very well received critically (and a second gig was added the following night) but that could well have had elements of wave riding.

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 9:09 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

David Bowie's Blackstar album: 'An unexpected left turn that deepens the mystery'

I'm no Bowie fan though I've come to enjoy some of his music over the years. Just want it known that I saw the Jazz Revival coming first.  

I read that too. I don't trust Petridis's critical acumen, I'm afraid but I did listen to the sample track and was pleasantly impressed. I've not listened to Bowie since Scary Monsters and not very closely even when I did. I'll give the album a spin when it's out

My tongue was in its cheek (as ever). 

I'd imagine most listeners wouldn't give the jazzers a second look. But I'd hope some listeners might want to know what McCaslin does in his day job. That's how I got drawn into jazz (admittedly at one of its fashion downturns [mid/late 70s]). 

10 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I can't say myself but my friend who most definitely didn't buy into the hype went to see him in London and was very impressed. The last concerts I attended with this friend were Roscoe Mitchell and Peter Brotzmann so he doesn't set his sights low. The concert was very well received critically (and a second gig was added the following night) but that could well have had elements of wave riding.

Thanks - good to know. I was concerned about the 'hype' about Kamasi overshadowing the 'reality.'

Edited by BFrank

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

Giving this album another shot this morning and I must say I'm really enjoying it, think I'll be adding this one to the collection soon.

Should I forfeit my "Jazz Cred" identification badge since I'm enjoying this album?  :lol:

You may have to forfeit your Platinum Level Organissimo Board Jazz Cred badge. You can keep your Gold Level Jazz Cred badge though.