changing volume of a manual but not the pedals

wynton

This came up at another forum, but am interested in feedback here too.

I just learned that for traditional Hammonds - and perhaps most clones - the expression pedal simultaneously controls the volume for everything (pedals, lower manual and upper manual), and that there is no easy way to set things up so that the volume of the pedals do not change along with the volume of the manuals. I find this strange because I know that I sometimes want to make dramatic changes in volume of the upper or lower manual, but do not want the volume of the pedals to change to the same degree.

It has been pointed out to me that the way around this is to rely more on the drawbars for dynamic changes. But that kind of volume modification also changes the actual harmonics or tones. And sometimes we may want the volume to change, without changing the harmonics, right?

So, I guess am just asking whether there are particular techniques that experienced Hammond players utilize to alter the volume of one of the keyboard manuals, while keeping the volume of the pedals relatively constant.

Yes, the expression pedal affects all tones coming from the organ. However, it does attenuate the higher frequencies faster (in relation to the travel of the pedal) than the lower frequencies. So depending on your registration, you can pull the volume back on the manuals moreso than on the pedals or lower notes on the manuals. It's not perfect but with enough forethought and practice, it can work to do what you want.

Can you elaborate or provide an example?

Is there a specific registration -- for either the manuals or the pedals -- that would effectively allow one to modify the volume more on the manuals than the pedals (or lower notes on the manuals)?