Ornette Coleman - RIP

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well - well I heard his name many many years before I heard his music

It was some time around 1980 or 1982 or 1984 in a dream or on binge of whatever either before or after I moved to NJ and it was like a dream that I heard this great name

ORNETTE Coleman

It was as if his music or art was from another planet - but I did not yet search it out - it was a fantasy I didn't know I had to hear his music - and THEN all the other music he made possible. Music that even at 25 or 30 I didn't know would change and possibly save my life.

Then maybe six or eight or even ten years later I read that Don Van Vliet listened to two guys with fucking awesome names...

ORNETTE Coleman and CECIL Taylor

Who would have known that I would be blessed to discover who were the last two founders of the music I love to remain alive until yesterday or today.

We know it's from before but for me they are the inventors, the mad geniuses with the beautiful names. Two of the few rare first name guys. Always my guys whether I listen to more of what followed. Always the inventors of my music - despite all the other music I like, adore or even love - THIS music as my pal Shrugs calls it - THIS music is the music of true freedom and love - front row music, music to this day I've NEVER listened to in the background - music that strives to move souls, hearts and minds.

Change of the Century, baby

RIP, sir

Edited by Steve Reynolds