Ornette Coleman - RIP

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OrnetteColeman_CI1093.jpg

I heard my first Ornette record when I was sixteen years old. I checked out (vinyl!) The Best of Ornette Coleman, on Atlantic, from my local library. I was entranced — some of the most natural sounds I'd heard from a saxophone. Later, I found out, his music was "controversial."

His legacy will only expand.

Nothing I can add would be adequate, but "Free Jazz" was my first jazz album purchase maybe 15 years ago and it did my head in (in a good way). So glad I saw him live at Carnegie Hall with Abby Lincoln about 10 years ago. Drove up to New York from Maryland just for that.

Edited by Hoppy T. Frog

Exactly, Late.

I heard Ayler and Coltrane first, and they were something - that music was very exciting. Then I heard Ornette's music not too long afterwards, and it all made sense - so absolutely natural. That was nearly twenty years ago but could've been yesterday.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Change of the Century, baby

RIP, sir

Time to spin this record (60s Danish Atlantic pressing). (Yes, Steve R., you and I know we deeply disagree about the overwhelming importance of "free jazz" to jazz OVERALL, but for the record, I always could see the continuity of the music on that record and where it came from in the long line of jazz (unlike that of some other - European, in particular - free exponents).

I'll go on record as saying that many other jazz heroes did more for my love of jazz but he WAS a true giant.

RIP and I doff my hat.

Edited by Big Beat Steve