Erroll Garner’s “Concert By the Sea” as 3-CD Box by Sony Legacy

RiRiIII

http://jazztimes.com/articles/163113-sony-legacy-to-release-erroll-garner-s-concert-by-the-sea-as-3-cd-box

Nice!

06/15/15 Sony Legacy to Release Erroll Garner’s “Concert By the Sea” as 3-CD Box Bonus material includes unreleased tracks and interviews

By JazzTimes

Sony Legacy and Octave Music Publishing Corporation will release Erroll Garner’s The Complete Concert By the Sea as a three-CD box set on September 18, in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the original concert.

The complete live concert recording, which Legacy said in a press release was newly uncovered by the Erroll Garner Jazz Project, is being digitally remastered. The project is produced by pianist Geri Allen (who is also the Director of Jazz Studies at the University of Pittsburgh) and producer Steve Rosenthal. The box set contains the complete live Concert By the Sea, including 11 previously unreleased tracks, the original edited Columbia release from 1956 and bonus material, including interviews with the Erroll Garner trio: Denzil DaCosta Best, Eddie Calhoun and Garner himself, recorded directly after the concert.

Liner note writers include Allen, UCLA American Studies Professor Robin D.G. Kelley and jazz writer Dan Morgenstern.

TRACK LISTING FOR COMPLETE CONCERT

DISC ONE
1) Announcer: Jimmy Lyons (Previously unreleased)
2) Night And Day (Previously unreleased)
3) Spring Is Here (Previously unreleased)
4) I'll Remember April
5) The Nearness Of You (Previously unreleased)
6) Where Or When
7) Sweet And Lovely (Previously unreleased)
8) Lullaby Of Birdland (Previously unreleased)
9) Mambo Carmel
10) Teach Me Tonight
11) Will You Still Be Mine(Previously unreleased)
12) I Cover The Waterfront (Previously unreleased)
13) Bernie's Tune (Previously unreleased)
14) How Could You Do A Thing Like That To Me?
15) It's All Right

DISC TWO
16) Announcer: Jimmy Lyons (Previously unreleased)
17) They Can't Take That Away From Me
18) Autumn Leaves
19) S'Wonderful (Previously unreleased)
20) Laura(Previously unreleased)
21) Red Top
22) April In Paris
23) Caravan (Previously unreleased)
24) Erroll's Theme / Announcer: Jimmy Lyons (Previously unreleased)

TRACK LISTING FOR ORIGINAL EDITED CONCERT

DISC THREE
1) I’ll Remember April
2) Teach Me Tonight
3) Mambo Carmel
4) Autumn Leaves
5) It’s All Right With Me
6) Red Top
7) April in Paris
8) They Can’t Take That Away From Me?
9) How Could You Do A Thing Like That To Me
10) Where or When
11) Erroll’s Theme
12) Post Concert Interview: Will Thornbury with Erroll Garner, Eddie Calhoun, Denzil DaCosta Best: September 19, 1955 (Previously unreleased)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the album on vinyl and had always held off buying a CD copy because I was hoping they might one day come out with a version with some bonus tracks from the concert. This release far exceeds my wildest dreams! Now I can't wait for September! :D

Edited by duaneiac

When I was just beginning to explore jazz in the late-80s, I got a CD player for my birthday. To jump-start my collection, I decided to join the Columbia House Music Club. My first order:

- Erroll Garner - Concert by the Sea

- Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

- John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

- Duke Ellington - At Newport

I've loved Concert by the Sea -- and Erroll Garner -- ever since. :)

Edited by HutchFan

Wow. I've never been a huge fan of this album. . . I'm strangely uninterested in this new reissue, but I'll be eager to read impressions.

Same here. I've never really understood the attention that this record gets relative to other recordings by Erroll Garner, but maybe this reissue will do it for me.

Wondering if the "rejected" material will be more interesting than the released material...maybe? No?

On the whole, this one vs Jamal @ Pershing, Jamal, no contest, but one thing I've learned is to never take Errol Garner for granted, nope, don't do that. So maybe Columbia released all the "safer" takes becuase they new it would have a good chance to go mainstream?

We shall see soon enough, and because, that price, ooh yeah, dat price yeah.