Erroll Garner’s “Concert By the Sea” as 3-CD Box by Sony Legacy

RiRiIII

13 hours ago, mjzee said:

Levant's 1945 recording of Rhapsody in Blue remained one of Columbia Records' best-selling albums for decades."

I have the Columbia LP where it is paired with An American in Paris.  At the time, I bought it for the cover art, and only discovered later that it is considered to be one of the definitive versions.  

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 30.11.2018 at 11:22 PM, JSngry said:

I think the best outcome of this reissue was the unreleased studio session that came after it. That was more or less splendid. I wonder will there be some more?

"Ready Take One" was compiled from several sessions, do you mean that one?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2015 at 4:08 PM, Ted O'Reilly said:

Interesting... This is not the original cover pic (nor the CD version). The original LP version had a white woman, and so did the different CD offer yet another white woman.

I wonder who this model is? Might it be (aptly) Geri Allen?

(A Toronto sidebar: the next gig the Garner trio did after the Carmel concert was here, at the Colonial Tavern the next week. I wonder if they drove across the country to get here? Air travel was still a great luxury in 1955.)

I just discovered (In the new photo book about the Great Day in Harlem photo) that the original photo was by Art Kane and the model was his wife.