Joe Henderson '60s Blue Note

GA Russell

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leader dates, correct?

Over time, Our Thing has become my "out front" favorite. Those players, those tunes...staying/growing power, just keeps getting better and deeper over the years.

Otherwise, Inner Urge & In'N'Out, no order. Find good prices and get both.

Won't do without either Page One or Mode For Joe either, but gun to head, might have some room for negotiation.

Speaking of moods, I'm in one to go ahead and suggest Joe Henderson In Japan on Milestone. Frisky!

1) OUR THING (great band, great compositions)

2) INNER URGE (quartet)

3) Tie: PAGE ONE (quite the debut) and Pete LaRoca's BASRA... this is cheating, of which I am fully aware (and of which I remain unrepentant). Some of Hnerderson's finest playing of this era is to be found on BASRA, and, as he is the lone horn, you might even give him more than sideman credit.

Funny how all of us keep skirting the initial question! But, yes, the three LPs that are tenor sax + rhythm quartets -- "The Real McCoy," "Basra" & Andrew HIll's "Black Fire" -- are all essential Joe, especially the "Real McCoy," one of the landmark records of that or any other era. When you start adding in the sideman appearances the list really gets long ...

Edited by Mark Stryker

Speaking of moods, I'm in one to go ahead and suggest Joe Henderson In Japan on Milestone. Frisky!

A bunch of JH's Milestones are excellent. My favorite from that era is Canyon Lady.

To that end, if the Milestone box is still available cheaply, that's money (less) money well-spent.

A bunch of JH's Milestones are excellent. My favorite from that era is Canyon Lady.

To that end, if the Milestone box is still available cheaply, that's money (less) money well-spent.

Yep. I got that box CHEAP. And it's chock-full of fantastic music.

1. In 'n Out (this one is underrated in my opinion and is one of my very favorite Blue Notes and I don't write that lightly)

2. Our Thing

3. Inner Urge

As an aside, I always bunch Trompeta Toccata (KD)*, Una Mas (KD), In 'N Out (JH), Our Thing (JH), and Page One (JH) together as albums co-led by JH and KD. KD and JH were one of the all time great trumpet/tenor front lines.

*led by

Edited by sonnyhill

Thanks guys!

I have had Mode for Joe for 20 years, and still play it plenty of times. Maybe ten year ago I bought In 'n' Out from BMG, but I don't think I've opened it yet!

I picked up the Milestone box a few years ago. Was Newbury Comics the one who was dumping them?

So by your suggestions, I' guess I'll be looking at Inner Urge and Basra.

As an aside, I always bunch Trompeta Toccata (KD)*, Una Mas (KD), In 'N Out (JH), Our Thing (JH), and Page One (JH) together as albums co-led by JH and KD. KD and JH were one of the all time great trumpet/tenor front lines.

*led by

I think the same way.

Not like it was during the Concord buyout, but still well worth what it's going for. 15 complete albums on there, if I remember correctly, and much of it is firy. The stuff with the Japanese rhythm section amazed me when I first heard it 40 years ago.

This is a GREAT 4CD box collection, if you can find it.

MI0001537133.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I see it's available used from Amazon for $16.99 in very good condition. I own this collection and it's quite good.

One of the nice things about it is that it's a collection of both leader AND 'sideman' dates.