Summusic Live Recording (18 Min Excerpt)

JSngry

https://soundcloud.com/summusic-3/061515-gig-excerpt-18-min

An 18 minute portion of our 6/15 performance at Joe Milazzo's "Crepuscule With Nellie" book reading, self-recorded on a real recorder and converted to mp3. Not without the occasional audio flaw, but much better than the cell phone recordings we've been able to offer in the past.

Free to all to either stream or download.

Tunes are:

1. Cao-Cao Hound
  2. So, How Was Lunch?
  3. Goin' Inta' TOWN In Tha' Morenin'

Jim Sangrey - Tenor

Carl Hillman - Bass

Andrew Griffith - Drums

An extra note of thinks to Joe & all the folks at Pandora's Box for providing this opportunity. The Margo Jones Theater is a great sounding room, and the audience in it was about as good as anybody could want.

Edited by JSngry

Thanks, Steve! I know this is the general type of music you listen to very extensively and take very seriously, so yours is certainly a meaningful compliment, and a much appreciated one as a result.

If it's Malaby, I'll try to show you a photo from the gig - I out-undressed him by a mile! :g

Yes - I thought of Malaby when I was listening to the 18 minute clip. I think the similarity was in approach. Almost that 'non-idiomatic' sense. A style but really no style. Just playing. So yes - a compliment. Nothing irks me like a current day tenor saxophone "stylist". Playing to form. 

For me I want to hear a musician play. Play the music that is to be played with the other musicians you are playing with.

Listening again as I was truly intrigued, I will say that you wear your influences well (Sonny, AACM approaches, etc.) but you sound like your own man.

since I mentioned Malaby, upon the relisten, Tony is a much more radical player in many respects, then again in many respects besides the minimal sound approach players, Malaby is just ably the most radical player sound wise to my ears. 

Again, I really enjoyed the music

I will say that you wear your influences well (Sonny, AACM approaches, etc.) but you sound like your own man.

Dude, that is the thing that I think everybody wants to hear. There's always room for technical improvement, always room for broadening scope or narrowing focus, but to go about it sounding like yourself, that's...it, yeah. That's what you do all the other stuff for, to get to that point so then you can get to the other stuff. Some/many people go about it the other way, get the chops together, then go look for the voice. I was never that consistently patient or disciplined until it was too late to do it any other way. I'm kinda like, if I lose everything else, up to and including my mind and most of my physical capacities, I will not lose my sound. It may get battered, 'bused, 'buked, and scorned, but dammit, when that goes, I go. I got room for "negotiations" about damn near everything else, but not that. Seriously.

So, yes, thank you again. Sincerely and deeply.

And since I've (humorously, I swear) talked trash about Malaby's gig attire in the past, let it be noted here that when it comes to underdressing, I'll take a backseat to NO man!

Band%206%2015%2015%204_zpscoivlzcf.jpg

Edited by JSngry

Plus listening to the trio (thanks for the picture) has me yearning to get to a live gig as it's been over a month. 

So I'm hoping to see a trio next Saturday - Tyshawn Sorey with Kris Davis & Ingrid Laubrock. Known as Paradoxical Frog. Three musicians with their own sound and approach. For whatever reason, I've never seen this trio or listened to them other than a clip or two. 

Then Diane Moser's Quintet the next night (never heard her) with Marty Ehrlich(!!), Ken Filiano(!!!) and Gerry Hemingway(!!!!!!) plus a trombonist I've never heard.

in a much less spacious room than you guys played in - Cornelia Street Cafe! I've heard Hemingway twice in the little room - and there is little like that in this world. 

If the world doesn't mess with me, it will be awesome to hear two of the true original drummers play on back to back nights in the same space! 

What they all have in common is that they just play the music.