Rudy Van Gelder

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if an engineer is best served by getting emotionally involved in their work while it's going on, the need for objectivity is pretty intense...also, I mean, yeah, you can "love" something but that love will not really be "equal", I don't now that Rudy (or anybody) would've walked away from a Lou Donaldson 50s date and a 60s Trane date with the same sentiment, I would hope not, actually.

God bless him.

all that and more, sure ... but why did he not get a better piano? And where did they cast the hipsters behind RvG? ;)

Could be wrong on this, but I don't think that the quality of RVG's piano was the problem -- if problem there was -- but rather his taste for miking the piano very closely in order to control or shape its sound -- if control or shape are the right terms here. OTOH, I pretty much grew up with RVG's piano sound and generally like it; OTOH there are a number of non-stupid people, including some pianists who were miked by RVG, who felt otherwise. Bill Evans IIRC was one of them. Yes, RVG could be an interventionist at times -- as in the way Hank Jones sounds toward the end of "Autumn Leaves" on "Something Else," almost like a celeste -- but I love the way Jones sound there.

Think of all the man-made colors we have come to accept as part of nature, even though they occur nowhere in nature. Rudy's piano sound is like that for me. Cannot begin to count how many times it's wrapped me in its narcotic-ish cocoon of aural/mental warmfuzzyfingernailsJUSTsorunningdownspine.

Shit started getting weird in the 70s and beyond though. Sometimes.

Rudy was in love with SOUND, music itself was secondary. 

I don't think he likes pianos. He always got a lousy piano sound on all of those 50s and 60s albums. But the drums and horns sound great. I was listening to Etcetera recently and thinking wow, Herbie Hancock is playing all of this amazing stuff while accompanying Wayne, but all you can hear is Shorter and Joe Chambers. You have to listen past Wayne and Joe to hear Herbie and Cecil McBee.

Think of all the man-made colors we have come to accept as part of nature, even though they occur nowhere in nature. Rudy's piano sound is like that for me. Cannot begin to count how many times it's wrapped me in its narcotic-ish cocoon of aural/mental warmfuzzyfingernailsJUSTsorunningdownspine.

Believe me, there is nothing more surreal than sitting at THAT piano, with headphones on and hearing yourself as if you are actually INSIDE a groove of a BN 4000 series LP.

The "Rudy Van Gelder yelled at me" thread on the SH forums is pretty funny.  Not quite as epic as the whole Lou Donaldson sammich call, but personally, as much as I admire RVG for all the amazing albums he's captured, I'd have zero interest in approaching the guy.

Edited by CJ Shearn

In the "Sidran on Record" interview that Ben did with Rudy (and reprinted in the book "Talking Jazz") Rudy doesn't really remember specific sessions but does say the impression that everyone had -- musicians, producers, himself -- was that the records they were making had real and lasting significance, more important than the politics of the day or anything else. https://books.google.com/books?id=m1zs6lpr5SkC&pg=PA310&lpg=PA310&dq=rudy+van+gelder+and+ben+sidran+and+sidran+on+record&source=bl&ots=x7ViqJcGvO&sig=pu4MJ9iueR9kwk7_v2F6ra_2WYQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=i0mbVfyrNoSXyQTdl4IQ&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=rudy%20van%20gelder%20and%20ben%20sidran%20and%20sidran%20on%20record&f=false

• 3 weeks later...

The "Rudy Van Gelder yelled at me" thread on the SH forums is pretty funny.  Not quite as epic as the whole Lou Donaldson sammich call, but personally, as much as I admire RVG for all the amazing albums he's captured, I'd have zero interest in approaching the guy.

That thread is a classic! He's never struck me as someone who would be approachable, nor does he come across as a great raconteur. But he must have some interesting anecdotes, perhaps he's too professional to ditch the dirt.