Has the bottom fallen out of the Mosaic market?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to the East, Japan and South Korea continue to be huge markets for physical music product.  As a percentage of music purchased, physical media is about 85% in Japan.

Indeed, jazz reissue CD's are alive and well in Japan.  Blue Note just had a bunch of interesting titles reissued the last two months there.  When's the last time they reissued catalog titles in the US?  2009 or something like that?

I just bought a bunch of Japanese jazz reissues from FOPP in central London for £3 a pop - a big discount on the £20+ I remember such Japanese reissues costing.

Looking to the East, Japan and South Korea continue to be huge markets for physical music product.  As a percentage of music purchased, physical media is about 85% in Japan.

Indeed, jazz reissue CD's are alive and well in Japan.  Blue Note just had a bunch of interesting titles reissued the last two months there.  When's the last time they reissued catalog titles in the US?  2009 or something like that?

I just bought a bunch of Japanese jazz reissues from FOPP in central London for £3 a pop - a big discount on the £20+ I remember such Japanese reissues costing.

Hello, Simon Weil!!  A long, LONG time... so good to see your name pop up in a post here. 

Hello, Simon Weil!!  A long, LONG time... so good to see your name pop up in a post here. 

:party:

• 1 year later...

Maybe there is a correlation between the current price of OOP Mosaics and the value against major currencies of the $US?   For us Europeans they have remained fairly steady in most cases. An indication of just how clapped out the US dollar used to be !

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Maybe there is a correlation between the current price of OOP Mosaics and the value against major currencies of the $US?   For us Europeans they have remained fairly steady in most cases. An indication of just how clapped out the US dollar used to be !

I think it's mostly because Mosaic customers are older and tend to die fairly often, so the used sets are hitting the market pretty regularly now. If anything, I think the prices will drop some more.

I'm just hoping the Chinese will start copying the Japanese, and become the next jazz-crazed nation.

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

I think it's mostly because Mosaic customers are older and tend to die fairly often, so the used sets are hitting the market pretty regularly now. If anything, I think the prices will drop some more.

I'm just hoping the Chinese will start copying the Japanese, and become the next jazz-crazed nation.

Indeed, if the Chinese get into jazz on the scale of Japan we're back in business baby!

What seems to be happening is what's happened to other hobbies: no kids!  I don't mean that there aren't kids playing jazz but that there are no kids collecting jazz or interested in jazz (or so it seems) not to mention that it's us oldsters who still buy cds, which are slowly disappearing. 

Edited by Brad